Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

student visa, running out of time please help!!

student visa, running out of time please help!!

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

doggmeister is an unknown quantity at this point
Default student visa, running out of time please help!!

Folks

I'd be grateful for any advice!! I have been accepted at a Uni in Canada to do a Master's whilst I was in Canada last week and I have just landed back in the UK and need to apply for a student visa before the course starts first of September.

GIven the requirements from uni to get transcripts, references etc before a Letter of Acceptance will be provided by the Uni for my Study Permit application I doubt very much I can get my study permit issued in time given the 4-6 week processing time of the Canadian embassy in London.

Can anyone tell me if there is anything illegal about entering the Canada and starting the course without the study permit and then returning to the UK say over a weekend to collect my Visa and then re-enter Canada on the student visa?

Or given you can study for up to 6months without a study visa is there anyway to make use of this until my study permit is granted? any help gratefully recieved as I'm at my wits end ...excited to start a fresh new life in Canada but worried I may miss the boat!!!!!
Old Aug 4th 2008, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

ill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: student visa, running out of time please help!!

Ive wondered that before, but I'm not sure. I think it means that the whole course has to be under 6 months so that you can take it in the 6 months your here as a visiter. My course is only just over 5 months but i was advised by the college to apply for a study visa anyway. I applied mid May and still waiting
Old Aug 4th 2008, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

thanks lil -miss

anyone else? please I am running out of time and ideas here!!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

bump...

please...anybody??
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

ill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the rough

I dont think you will get much help here about study permits If I were you, I'd just get the application in as soon as possible and maybe attatch a note to it saying how important it is that you have a desision before the school year starts (politley of course hehe)
Good Luck
Old Aug 6th 2008, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ill_only_miss_eastenders
I dont think you will get much help here about study permits If I were you, I'd just get the application in as soon as possible and maybe attatch a note to it saying how important it is that you have a desision before the school year starts (politley of course hehe)
Good Luck
sounds like a very good idea....thanks for that lil miss!
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

benjy25 will become famous soon enoughbenjy25 will become famous soon enough

Hi there, I have a similar but less serious problem in that my study permit isn't due for confirmation until about 6 days before our flight is due to leave. Bear in mind that our permit application was received at the end of June and they started processing it on July 9th; 6 weeks hence is August 20th and our flights are due to leav on the 26th.

They REFUSE to talk to you within that 6 week period and are very unhelpful. I would suggest you have no hope at all of having it processed in time, I'm afraid.

One point for consideration is that you DO NOT get your actual study permit in the UK, only the document stating that it has been approved in principal and ready for collection at point of entry. Therefore, I have been thinking that it may be possible to enter Canada as a visitor (although you would have to book a refundable return flight as they won't let you in on a one-way ticker without a permit), have the confirmation of study permit forwarded on and then you can pick it up and get it issued whilst in Canada.

(Andrew Miller, can you comment here?)

Can anybody else help out here with any advice for expediting study permit applications? Surely somebody must have a contact at CIC London!

Good luck, Ben

Originally Posted by doggmeister
Folks

I'd be grateful for any advice!! I have been accepted at a Uni in Canada to do a Master's whilst I was in Canada last week and I have just landed back in the UK and need to apply for a student visa before the course starts first of September.

GIven the requirements from uni to get transcripts, references etc before a Letter of Acceptance will be provided by the Uni for my Study Permit application I doubt very much I can get my study permit issued in time given the 4-6 week processing time of the Canadian embassy in London.

Can anyone tell me if there is anything illegal about entering the Canada and starting the course without the study permit and then returning to the UK say over a weekend to collect my Visa and then re-enter Canada on the student visa?

Or given you can study for up to 6months without a study visa is there anyway to make use of this until my study permit is granted? any help gratefully recieved as I'm at my wits end ...excited to start a fresh new life in Canada but worried I may miss the boat!!!!!
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Mid-may?! They should have completed it within 4 weeks at that time of the year! Have you contacted them? Are you off this summer to study?

Originally Posted by ill_only_miss_eastenders
Ive wondered that before, but I'm not sure. I think it means that the whole course has to be under 6 months so that you can take it in the 6 months your here as a visiter. My course is only just over 5 months but i was advised by the college to apply for a study visa anyway. I applied mid May and still waiting
Old Aug 7th 2008, 4:06 am
Officially Expats!!!

maxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to all

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but without a valid study permit it would be 'illegal' to start the course in September. CHC London was a nightmare for my application which only came through at the last moment.

The process of getting transcripts alone can be hit and miss, you'll have to fork out for some serious express recorded delivery/courier mail services, not to mention for the original Letter of Acceptance from the Uni all the way from Canada.

If you can get all the supporting paperwork together in time, take it to CHC personally. If nothing else someone there will go through all your paperwork to ensure it is correct - this alone can save three weeks per error. Then you'll have to plead your case for an urgent application. In theory it can be done.....

The only real advice I can give is whatever you do don't wing it, especially if you are looking to perhaps emigrate in the future. Immigration, around the world, have a nasty habit of bearing grudges if you knowingly try to beat the system.

Good luck, I hope it all works out!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

CHC no longer accept applications in person. The only advantage in taking it yourself is that you can now place it in a 'drop-off' box at the building to ensure that it has physically arrived.

They really are completely useless. We compiled what I think is a watertight application and it SHOULD be straightforward for them to process yet they still refuse to communicate with us.

Originally Posted by maxrevs
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but without a valid study permit it would be 'illegal' to start the course in September. CHC London was a nightmare for my application which only came through at the last moment.

The process of getting transcripts alone can be hit and miss, you'll have to fork out for some serious express recorded delivery/courier mail services, not to mention for the original Letter of Acceptance from the Uni all the way from Canada.

If you can get all the supporting paperwork together in time, take it to CHC personally. If nothing else someone there will go through all your paperwork to ensure it is correct - this alone can save three weeks per error. Then you'll have to plead your case for an urgent application. In theory it can be done.....

The only real advice I can give is whatever you do don't wing it, especially if you are looking to perhaps emigrate in the future. Immigration, around the world, have a nasty habit of bearing grudges if you knowingly try to beat the system.

Good luck, I hope it all works out!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by benjy25
CHC no longer accept applications in person. The only advantage in taking it yourself is that you can now place it in a 'drop-off' box at the building to ensure that it has physically arrived.

They really are completely useless. We compiled what I think is a watertight application and it SHOULD be straightforward for them to process yet they still refuse to communicate with us.
Approval arrived for us about 15 minutes ago! We applied at the end of June and they commenced processing on July 9th: just goes to show the power of a well composed application, I think!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 6:07 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by benjy25
Approval arrived for us about 15 minutes ago! We applied at the end of June and they commenced processing on July 9th: just goes to show the power of a well composed application, I think!
So your complaint was sort of unfounded? CHC did exactly what they said they would. process a perfected application in 6 weeks.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, you are quite right. They did and excellent job and I am very thankful. Humble pie being eaten here!

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

So your complaint was sort of unfounded? CHC did exactly what they said they would. process a perfected application in 6 weeks.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Ben if it took you 6 weeks for an application submitted back in June then i assume I have no hope applying now for September...
Old Aug 8th 2008, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Well, I would have thought that too but then they managed to do it in about 5 weeks from when I posted it, 4 weeks from when they claimed they actually started processing it.

When are you due to start your course? It might be possible if you get it to them 'now' and maybe delay your arrival slightly?

Originally Posted by doggmeister
Ben if it took you 6 weeks for an application submitted back in June then i assume I have no hope applying now for September...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.