Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

student visa on campus work hour limit?

student visa on campus work hour limit?

Old Oct 4th 2010, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

stubby42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default student visa on campus work hour limit?

I'm thinking of applying for a masters degree in canada and was researching student visa's in particular I was looking at the work permits, according to the immigration website there are two types of visas, on campus and off campus.

whilst off campus the limit is 20 hours a week during the semester the on campus visa is a little more confusing, mainly it doesnt mention a limit on the hours a student can work.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-oncampus.asp

Is it unlimited?

I was also wondering if there was a limit on what I could be paid (as in wage) and the tax situation, I tried to use the sasketchewan tax calculator but ended up being paid more (I put an anual income as 7000 and the calculator gave me grants which took it up to 8000), I'm assuming I did something wrong/ I'm not elgiable for that.

thanks for the help

Phil

Last edited by stubby42; Oct 4th 2010 at 3:02 am.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

pancakemeow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: student visa on campus work hour limit?

Hey,

My bf is an international student and just got a job on campus. The person who processed the job told him that he was only allowed to work 15 hours a week and that there was a certain amount of hours he could work during a school year (something like 240hours or something???) . I think this sounds odd so I've been trying to find more information as well. My bf has to go get his SIN number tomorrow from the government so he's going to ask them more questions there.

Have you found any additional information?