Student Visa Application

Old Jan 22nd 2010, 2:34 am
Just Joined

fraserch10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student Visa Application

Hi,

Fraser here from the midlands so happy to have found this site its amazing!!

I am 25 and married and work in Telecommunications and my wife works in the NHS as a biomedical Scientist.

We both are looking to immigrate to canada and be with my side of the family.
My parents immigrated 17 years ago and I was left behind with my Grandparents which was awesome!!

Ok so now finally we have made the decision to move and we would love some help we have dived right into the Wiki which again is excellent info

My wife has been accepted into a University and we have just received the confirmation letter for her to start her course in September this year.
We now need to apply for the study permit and from there we have many question left unanswered.

We have accommodation sorted since we will be living with our parents so thats one big issue out the way. We have a bank account in Vancouver already and a car which was given to us by our parents so thats another few steps out the way.

My wife will we attending University Full Time for one year only and I of course will be looking to work now is it true after reading various forums that I can get a Work permit and this can be obtained within the study permit that I will apply for? or is this false?

So the next step is for us to get this application posted out this week for the study permit. Do you think we are late to send it off for the permit I havent seen any deadline dates anywhere?

I would like to keep this thread open for our questions and I will greatly appreciate everyones feedback.

Regards F
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 3:42 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student Visa Application

Can't you be sponsored by your family for PR and then apply for University and not have to pay the international student fee?
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 4:45 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Can't you be sponsored by your family for PR and then apply for University and not have to pay the international student fee?
1. The OP can't be sponsored, he is over 22 and is married, so therefor not a dependent.
2. If the OP's spouse study permit meets the following criteria,

"Eligibility criteria: To be allowed to work in this category, you must prove that you are the spouse of a student who holds a valid student permit and who is studying full time at a post-secondary institution—a university, a community college, a CEGEP, a technical or school of commercial studies—that is financed by the private or public sector and authorized by provincial law to award university degrees."

He can apply for an open work permit either on entry or at the same time his spouse applies for the study permit.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 6:10 am
Just Joined

"Eligibility criteria: To be allowed to work in this category, you must prove that you are the spouse of a student who holds a valid student permit and who is studying full time at a post-secondary institution—a university, a community college, a CEGEP, a technical or school of commercial studies—that is financed by the private or public sector and authorized by provincial law to award university degrees."

He can apply for an open work permit either on entry or at the same time his spouse applies for the study permit.[/QUOTE]

Hi Thanks for this I will most likely apply along with the study permit or if thats complicated then entry will do me fine.

Yeah its a shame my family can't get me in but they are there to help me in every way.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

lifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to all

You might as well apply for your spousal open work permit at the same time as your wife applies for her study permit, once less thing to do after arriving. The turn around time of issuing the study permit is pretty good. I think ours was back within a month. Just make sure you enclose all the bits they ask for, offer letter from Canadian Uni showing it's a full time course, proof of funds etc
Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lifeisajourney
You might as well apply for your spousal open work permit at the same time as your wife applies for her study permit, once less thing to do after arriving. The turn around time of issuing the study permit is pretty good. I think ours was back within a month. Just make sure you enclose all the bits they ask for, offer letter from Canadian Uni showing it's a full time course, proof of funds etc
Hi,

I actually read the whole offer letter from the University today and it states the course is full time 35 hours a week and is 6 months duration and then my wife wants to apply for work after she completes this Education certification she requires in the Medical field

Now from what I understand the study permit is normally a years permit I think

If the course is 6 months only can she still apply for the Study Permit and can I still apply for the spousal one year open work permit ?
Old Jan 24th 2010, 5:05 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by fraserch10
Hi,

I actually read the whole offer letter from the University today and it states the course is full time 35 hours a week and is 6 months duration and then my wife wants to apply for work after she completes this Education certification she requires in the Medical field

Now from what I understand the study permit is normally a years permit I think

If the course is 6 months only can she still apply for the Study Permit and can I still apply for the spousal one year open work permit ?
1. She can apply for a study permit is the course is only 6 months.
2. If her studies meet the criteria

"The provisions outlined for C42 and C43 only apply to students engaged in full-time studies at a Canadian university, community college, CEGEP, publicly funded trade/technical school or at a private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees."

then your work permit would only be valid for the length of her studies, i.e. 6 months.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

lifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to all

Hi, your wife will be able to get a study permit for her full time course that lasts 6 months and you will also be able to apply for a spouse open work permit, again for six months.

If you want to both stay beyond that you need to be aware that your wife will likely only be issued with a six month work permit, and you will likely receive an extension to yours, again for just another six months.

All the information you need for both of you is on the Canadian immigration website, www.cic.gc.ca, under the 'study' section

Happy reading!
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lifeisajourney
Hi, your wife will be able to get a study permit for her full time course that lasts 6 months and you will also be able to apply for a spouse open work permit, again for six months.

If you want to both stay beyond that you need to be aware that your wife will likely only be issued with a six month work permit, and you will likely receive an extension to yours, again for just another six months.

All the information you need for both of you is on the Canadian immigration website, www.cic.gc.ca, under the 'study' section

Happy reading!
We are planning on staying of course

How come my wife will only get a six month work permit?
even if she does hopefully the job she goes for will keep her on permanently also the same with me.

If we both secure jobs what will the next step from that ? will it be to apply for PR or is it something else?

Thanks again