Student Visa Advice.

Old Feb 17th 2012, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Briansheik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student Visa Advice.

Hello everyone,
I am an African who currently resides in the UK on a student visa.
Upon completion of a degree or higher program in UK, students are allowed to apply for the 2 year work permit which enable them to find work and thus put to practice what they have studied.

I completed my program and applied for the 2year permit and got a letter asking me to send in further financial evidence to support my application which i did immediately and since then haven't gotten a reply from the UK border back.
I have made enquiries about application status and was told my passport would be sent back when its been stamped.

My question
I intend to further my studies in Canada (Seneca College) but my passport isn't with me due to the above.
I have asked for my passport back and been told that if I withdraw at this moment it will invalidate my application.

1)Can I get another passport and apply to CIC for a study permit from the UK or would it be best I return to my home country and make the application from there putting into consideration that I have leaved in the UK for over 2years?

2)Will CIC investigate as to what my status is in the UK?
This also makes me think CIC might ask why I am still in the UK since the completion of my program.

3)What would fellow British-Experts suggest?

4)Would it be best I insist my passport be sent to me even if it means withdrawing application?

All response will be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student Visa Advice.

You need to decide what you're doing. If you want the UK work permit, you'll need to wait for your passport back. If you don't want it, cancel your application and have the passport returned to you.

What you decide to do also depends on timing e.g. when do you plan to start your studies in Canada and how long will it take to get a Canadian student visa? It could take some time to obtain a Canadian student visa and there's no guarantee that you'll actually receive one. So maybe you should wait for the UK work permit and work in the UK while trying to sort out a Canadian student visa.

I don't know what your country of citizenship is but you almost certainly can't legally hold 2 valid passports from the same country. If you apply for a new passport they are going to want to know what happened to your current passport (e.g. lost, stolen, damaged) and they are going to want to cancel it before issuing a new one.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 1:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I don't know what your country of citizenship is but you almost certainly can't legally hold 2 valid passports from the same country.
You can for the UK, although only in specific circumstances.

Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:54 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

I had two for travel to different countries, which did not like some of the other places I had been to.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I don't know what your country of citizenship is but you almost certainly can't legally hold 2 valid passports from the same country.

Yes, and that's why I said "almost certainly". While there are certain circumstances under which some countries will issue 2 passports to their nationals (e.g. getting around having an Israeli stamp in your passport), none of these scenarios appear to apply to the OP.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 5:30 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, and that's why I said "almost certainly". While there are certain circumstances under which some countries will issue 2 passports to their nationals (e.g. getting around having an Israeli stamp in your passport), none of these scenarios appear to apply to the OP.
Almost certainly means you are not sure, certain circumstances means under some conditions. Quite different meanings!