Student visa?

Old Feb 21st 2005, 5:12 am
Just Joined

bobbyk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student visa?

Hi, will try and keep query as simple as poss. Currently F-T PhD student in England (British Citizen). Been invited formally (have acceptance letter) by University Toronto Department Art History as "visiting scholar" to spend 2nd year of PhD there (2005-6). Terms of invitation: access to library for research, audit courses, don't pay tuition fees to U of T. Department unable to offer me visa advice. Home university unable to advise as it was an exchange I arranged myself. Do I apply for a student visa - even though I'm not attending classes full time, but will be researching in the library full time? I know it's not a youth work visa as I'm not being paid by the university and I am self-funded - but not entirely sure if it's a student visa either? Thanks.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 5:49 am
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student visa?

Originally Posted by bobbyk
Hi, will try and keep query as simple as poss. Currently F-T PhD student in England (British Citizen). Been invited formally (have acceptance letter) by University Toronto Department Art History as "visiting scholar" to spend 2nd year of PhD there (2005-6). Terms of invitation: access to library for research, audit courses, don't pay tuition fees to U of T. Department unable to offer me visa advice. Home university unable to advise as it was an exchange I arranged myself. Do I apply for a student visa - even though I'm not attending classes full time, but will be researching in the library full time? I know it's not a youth work visa as I'm not being paid by the university and I am self-funded - but not entirely sure if it's a student visa either? Thanks.
its better if u do so! that way u can have other facilities as well
Old Feb 21st 2005, 6:56 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

If you are staying for any longer than 6 months then you will have to get something, I am not sure if you can apply for a student visa. You are not guaranteed entry into Canada for up to 6 months even on a tourist visa, it is at the discretion of the immigration.
I am in the process of applying for a student visa and I have not read anything about requirements for just researching. As far as I can read you need a formal letter from Uni / College to study a full time fee paying course, for 15 hours or more a week. You have to show you have the funds for the course and $10,000 on top for living expenses per year. What they do say is if you are going on a course that is within 6 months then you do not need a student visa, but if you think you may go on to do a longer course to apply before you leave, other wise you would have to return home and reapply for a student visa.

As long as you have funds to support yourself and can prove that, also with the letter form Uni, maybe CIC will say it is OK.
But they like foreign students that pay the higher tuition fees, they get nothing for students that pay nothing! maybe you need to phone or fax immigration.

Originally Posted by bobbyk
Old Feb 21st 2005, 8:25 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by gooding
If you are staying for any longer than 6 months then you will have to get something, I am not sure if you can apply for a student visa. You are not guaranteed entry into Canada for up to 6 months even on a tourist visa, it is at the discretion of the immigration.
I am in the process of applying for a student visa and I have not read anything about requirements for just researching. As far as I can read you need a formal letter from Uni / College to study a full time fee paying course, for 15 hours or more a week. You have to show you have the funds for the course and $10,000 on top for living expenses per year. What they do say is if you are going on a course that is within 6 months then you do not need a student visa, but if you think you may go on to do a longer course to apply before you leave, other wise you would have to return home and reapply for a student visa.

As long as you have funds to support yourself and can prove that, also with the letter form Uni, maybe CIC will say it is OK.
But they like foreign students that pay the higher tuition fees, they get nothing for students that pay nothing! maybe you need to phone or fax immigration.
Student visa.

PMM