Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

student permit - then landed immigrant

student permit - then landed immigrant

Old Mar 31st 2004, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

prodigy346 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: student permit - then landed immigrant

Look, if you don't have money now and won't be able to prove it to consular officials you will probably not get a visa. With the intensity of MBA programs I would rule out really being able to work on the side. You can get a work permit if the work is a required part of your program. You can also (MAYBE) get a work permit if you are destitute due to reasons beyond your control, but this is messy and unethical - like your parents passed away and now you have no money - something like that.

A number of international organizations offer financial aid to MBA students. You are talking about borrowing a lot of money though on 8-10% interest - are you ready for that? Why don't you just defer your admission and apply to become a Permanent Resident first, then arrive in canada take out a low interest loan from the government and pursue your MBA.

Also, MBA programmes in some other parts of Canada (e.g. Québec) are not currently privatized, so canadians still pay very low fees to come here (like $2000 a year or less). It all depends how important it is for you to do your MBA from York now and not later.

Originally posted by Stoykov
I mean - it is said that one can obtain work permit while on student
permit if he/she shows financial need. But to get a study permit one
must show proof of funds, maybe they address the above mentioned
condition to some unexpected circumstances that may result in
temporary money shorttage for you and your family. Ok, if this is the
case, how this could be proved?
Old Mar 31st 2004, 8:35 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

When I applied for a Study Permit for my daughter, we had to show our assets and there is a minimum amount of money you have to have in order to qualify for the Study Permit. Has this changed in 8 months?

If you don't have the money to finance your studies then how can you consider applying for the Study Permit? What will you do when you run out of money?
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 12:04 am
Stoykov

OK, as I said before, the problem is not the money in general - I have
funds enough to pay my tuition but I found it unwise to pay it all
wiht the money I saved by hard wotk and abstention. As a person living
on western standards, you may be well awared of the advantages that
"credit system" gives you. I found it much more reasonable to use a
student loan or instalment plan for my MBA degree. First, I borrow
money to pay my study now (it is investment in yourself, the price
won't fall in the near future, then I pay instalments based on the
salary my MBA degree will provide me with (I know it is still a metter
of my personal skills etc. but a MBA degree opens doors) - the
investment is "self-repaying", the cost for this is the interest that
I must add on the tuition.
However, I won't be able to get a student loan if I am not a landed
immigrant...the only way is to get someone that is Cnadian resident to
become a co-signer.

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:30 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Stoykov
OK, as I said before, the problem is not the money in general - I have
funds enough to pay my tuition but I found it unwise to pay it all
wiht the money I saved by hard wotk and abstention.
Oh, I beg your pardon I must have mis-read your earlier posting, I thought you said that you only had enough money to pay for the first term of your course. Sorry. Well if this is the case then there is no problem, just apply for your study permit showing the CIC that you can fund your lifestyle and pay for your studies and you will get it. You don't have to pay the full course fees all in one go, you can pay them at the beginning of every term.

PS. Our study permit came through within 5 days of applying