Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Struggling to deal with the waiting... any advice?

Struggling to deal with the waiting... any advice?

Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Struggling to deal with the waiting... any advice?

Recently I've been finding this process seems to be taking it's toll on me. I'm finding the endless waiting pretty difficult to deal with. Obviously our wait is nothing compared to what others have had to deal with, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to handle it!
It's been over 6 months since our Federal application went to London. Those before us had had med requests in weeks, but the longer we wait the more we realise that's not happening any more. They told us nearly a month ago that med requests would be coming in a letter 'in due course'.
I don't know how long it takes to post a letter

I'm definitely struggling with the feeling of being in limbo. It's not helped by my liking my current job less and less, but we need the money to save. When things were progressing along I could relate the job to the application process, but it's been so long I'm just really fed up - with everything! But it seems there's no point trying to make radical change when, being honest, I'm in the middle of radical change already, it's just moving at a snail's pace

I know everyone goes through this awful waiting period, and I'd love to hear how others dealt/are dealing with it. I don't know how to get my head around not knowing where my life is going for such a long time....
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:14 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Struggling to deal with the waiting... any advice?

Hang on in there.....it will become exciting again I promise

“The two most powerful warriors are patience and time.” Tolstoy
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:19 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
They told us nearly a month ago that med requests would be coming in a letter 'in due course'.
Comparing the hand written date on my AOR letter and the postage date stamped on the envelope, it can take two weeks to put one A4 sheet in an envelope and actually get it into the postal system.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:47 pm
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future

Hi Izzi,

I hear ya! That could have been me writing your post.

Things can turn around so quickly. I remember a weekend spent with my family telling them that the wait was endless and we didn't expect to hear anything. Little did we know that our med requests were waiting for us at home as we spoke!! At which point the roller coaster ride started up again.

It will happen, though I know that doesn't really help much. I know what you mean about making changes when you are already going through massive change. I am in the same situation job-wise but I just keep telling myself that it is temporary. I had and still do have bad days when the wait seems unbearable and you are are probably going through the same thing. Maybe try and focus on something else for a few days, it may help straighten your head out a bit and fingers crossed it will be on the move again soon.

Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

maggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of light

I feel your frustration!

People told us to forget we'd submitted and get on with life here. Not an easy thing to do! For several years we'd not replaced various household items because we need to save the money. We'd stop and think before we ever went out to eat - to see if we could justify the cost! We weren't taking the holidays we wanted because everything we saved here would help that bit more when we move.

However, we found this put quite a pressure on us. Well, me really! We've now found a balance, where we are still being mindful of not spending lots, but enjoying our lives during the wait. We have tasked ourselves with spending one evening each week to do Canada prep (resumes, reading up on cost of living reports, applying for membership to relevant professional organisations over there etc). This has made the wait far more bearable as we know that we're moving forward. That and Skyping our Canadian friends every weekend!

Good luck with the rest of your adventure.
Maggie
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:22 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold

I am afraid I don't have any advice to offer since we are in the same boat but I don't think you should discount your feelings so much because, like my OH and I, you were probably under the impression that this process would have been done and dusted with by now given the timescales of others that have gone through the PNP on the past. Hang in there and I have everything crossed you get your medical requests in the post soon
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Recently I've been finding this process seems to be taking it's toll on me. I'm finding the endless waiting pretty difficult to deal with. Obviously our wait is nothing compared to what others have had to deal with, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to handle it!
It's been over 6 months since our Federal application went to London. Those before us had had med requests in weeks, but the longer we wait the more we realise that's not happening any more. They told us nearly a month ago that med requests would be coming in a letter 'in due course'.

I'm definitely struggling with the feeling of being in limbo. It's not helped by my liking my current job less and less, but we need the money to save. When things were progressing along I could relate the job to the application process, but it's been so long I'm just really fed up - with everything! But it seems there's no point trying to make radical change when, being honest, I'm in the middle of radical change already, it's just moving at a snail's pace

I know everyone goes through this awful waiting period, and I'd love to hear how others dealt/are dealing with it. I don't know how to get my head around not knowing where my life is going for such a long time....
I know exactly how you feel, it's also driving us crazy. As one of the other posters said, we thought we would be processed much quicker going by other peoples timelines but just after we applied things slowed right down. I think this was due to London processing apps from other countries

My OH also hates his job but is loath to move as the money is really good and hoping won't be too much longer. I gave up work in July as I was finding it too stressful, (the job that is), and wanted to concentrate on the emigration preparations. Thought we'd have PR by December

I've found that by doing things like de-cluttering, getting rid of stuff you aren't taking, doing bootsales or trips to tip help as they are proactive things. We have also just put house on market and done a bit of decorating to freshen it up which kept us busy for a couple of weekends.

Anything that feels like a step towards our eventual emigration helps. We have had quotes from shipping companies, signed up with a realtor who sends regular e-mails with properties according to the criteria we specified. Basically keeping busy, but at the end of the day your life is still on hold and in the hands of someone else which is not a nice feeling.

It's really taking it's toll on me, I've aged about 10 years since we started this process, (2008 for original app). All I can say is I feel your pain and that I hope it will all be worth it in the end. In the meantime we just have to go with the flow, try to keep busy and hope it won't be too much longer

Good luck with your application and we won't have too much longer in limbo
Old Mar 10th 2011, 4:11 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Chase them up again - the med requests may have gotten lost in the post.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 4:44 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tracys
I've found that by doing things like de-cluttering, getting rid of stuff you aren't taking, doing bootsales or trips to tip help as they are proactive things. We have also just put house on market and done a bit of decorating to freshen it up which kept us busy for a couple of weekends.

Anything that feels like a step towards our eventual emigration helps. We have had quotes from shipping companies, signed up with a realtor who sends regular e-mails with properties according to the criteria we specified. Basically keeping busy, but at the end of the day your life is still on hold and in the hands of someone else which is not a nice feeling.
I second this! My inlaws were up last week helping us get the house ready to put on the market. We threw ourselves into de-cluttering, taking unwanted items to charity shops, painting, gardening etc. It really made me feel as though I was being pro-active towards our move again. There's still one or two things to do and I am in the middle of decorating our bedroom, which we haven't done since we moved. I'm glad for the distraction whilst waiting for the med requests to come through
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

andy85 is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel better reading posts like this because I feel exactly the same....

I've actually become obsessed with checking the mail everyday when I come in for work....checking this site...checking the waiting times to make sure they don't go up...trackitt and another site!! It's bad but I completely understand how you feel!

I think that's good advice trying to prepare for things that'll you'll need to do before you get there because it will need doing when you're there or nearer the time anyway so makes sense....I think I will start concentrating more on that too....

I too hate my job and don't really know anyone here anymore and find time is painfully slow....

Just think though once the moment comes it will seem like no time has passed at all....it's one of those things...

When you get to this stage surely the only thing they can refuse you on is medicals and security? Am I correct?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:46 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy85

When you get to this stage surely the only thing they can refuse you on is medicals and security? Am I correct?
Andy

With no time-line in your signature file it's hard to figure out what stage you are at, and therefore difficult to answer your question.

Maybe consider adding a time-line (under 'My Profile', Signature) and someone will offer some input on your question.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks to those who have replied I don't know what I'd do without this forum! It makes such a difference just to read comments from people who are going through the same thing, and also comments from people who have been through it.
I think I would be able to manage better if I were either a/. not at work (although then where would the money come from lol) or b/. enjoying my job more, because time at work really drags (I agree on the 'painfully slow' andy!) and gives my mind time to stress and be impatient for change.

Our flat is rather full of 'stuff', maybe a bit of a clearout with emigration in mind might help. At this stage I think all that can go wrong is the medicals, but I will always worry a spanner in the works is about to appear until we're successfully through!

The rollercoaster of this process is unreal.... but the comments definitely help!
Old Mar 13th 2011, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

Redwarf is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks to those who have replied I don't know what I'd do without this forum! It makes such a difference just to read comments from people who are going through the same thing, and also comments from people who have been through it.
I think I would be able to manage better if I were either a/. not at work (although then where would the money come from lol) or b/. enjoying my job more, because time at work really drags (I agree on the 'painfully slow' andy!) and gives my mind time to stress and be impatient for change.

Our flat is rather full of 'stuff', maybe a bit of a clearout with emigration in mind might help. At this stage I think all that can go wrong is the medicals, but I will always worry a spanner in the works is about to appear until we're successfully through!

The rollercoaster of this process is unreal.... but the comments definitely help!
Hi Izzi,

My wife and I are in the same boat as you. We signed up with WB in November 2009 and since that time have been in limbo. We have done a few car boot sales and started to sell things that we can't take with us or won't need. Our application went to the High Commission in Aug 2010.
It is difficult when you are geared up to move out there but are waiting around for the go ahead, if and when it comes. We try to forget that we have applied and just live our lives as normal but, it is always in the back of your mind.
We still do what we enjoy and buy something if we want it, but are always mindful that we may be able to go at anytime, or may not be able to go for whatever reason.
We are awaiting the medicals also, have been told that from the point of submission to the CHC it can take up to a year to get a response due the high level of applications at present.

All we can do is wait. Good luck to you. Hope it comes soon.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 6:44 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Although we haven't waited as long as many, my OH and I have been apart since this process has been going on which has made it very hard indeed. We have never been apart like this and every day is a struggle. Now a friend of ours is terminally ill and my OH and I are devastated because we know he will not get to see him again.
I can fully sympathise with anyone who feels like a slave to the internet checking ECAS and their Inbox a million times a week. My OH and I spend hours and hours at the weekend on Skype (which is the only time we get to be together) and it is never enough. We are hostages to financial circumstances and CIC.
I have never felt so powerless in all my life.
My thoughts are with everyone who is waiting.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 9:06 am
Done!

Oh no, it's now getting to the point where I am having to sit on my hands to stop myself from e-mailing CIC......my ticker says I have 21 days left before I can officially pester them for an update on our application but would it harm to e-mail them this week? Rubie, how early one was your first e-mail to them again?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.