stressed out in Montreal!

Old Dec 6th 2009, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

sezbean1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default stressed out in Montreal!

Hi all,
I have been in Montreal since July on a Visitor visa. My OH and I are traveling to Europe for 3 weeks later this month to see my family and I want to come back with him for another 2-3 months before going back to the UK to seek work. I will be sure to have a return ticket to the UK and funds but I understand that I still may be refused entry-does anyone have any advice on what the risk level for that might be?

I am considering applying to school here in Montreal for next fall and I am concerned that if I am refused entry next month it will make a student visa more difficult to get-is that the case?

My company in the US would also like to hire me back on a new work permit next summer. If I have a letter from them stating that, would it help show that I am not an overstay risk in Canada?

Ultimately we want to be together permanently but are not ready to get married just to make this all easier-We just want to use as much of the time I am unemployed and free to spend with together as out relationship prior to now has always been long distance.

Any advice appreciated!!

S

I am a UK citizen but lived in the US for 11 years prior to coming to Canada. I haven't actually been to the UK for a couple of yrs as my parents now live in Switzerland so I have ties to Europe in general but not so much in england aside from my brothers and a bank account.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 2:46 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: stressed out in Montreal!

You won't know until you come back. It is up to the immigration officer at the port of entry who they let in and who gets denied.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sezbean1
I am a UK citizen but lived in the US for 11 years prior to coming to Canada. I haven't actually been to the UK for a couple of yrs as my parents now live in Switzerland so I have ties to Europe in general but not so much in england aside from my brothers and a bank account.
You have to be able to demonstrate an ongoing life somewhere else that you will be going back to. This does not have to be in the same country that issued your passport.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 7:12 am
Just Joined

If that is the case then that makes my life easier as I have a job to potentially go back to in the US in the fall and my boss can write me a letter supporting that. Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

ottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the rough

Make sure you have as much evidence as possible to prove you have a life elsewhere. I have visited my daughter 6 times this year, each visit lasting between 3 and 8 weeks. I haven't had to prove anything to immigration, however, my son arrived at the end of November to stay for 2 months, he had proof of employment, proof of income for the next 2 months and proof that he will be joining his ship again on 28th January yet he was still held in immigration for 2 hours. This still happened even though I was at the airport to meet him and explained to the immigration officer that the following day our passports would be on the way to the CHC in UK to be stamped with our Permanent Resident Visas! (we would have had the visas in August had my son not been on ship).
Old Dec 7th 2009, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Wow, that is pretty frightening and exactly what is making me hesitant to take a risk. I have funds and will purchase a one way ticket to the UK, and can prove future employment, US bank account and intent to reside in the US upon my paperwork coming through there. I am just concerned that if I get refused it will harm my future plans to visit my boyfriend. Thanks for sharing the story, it's good to have other people experiences...
Old Dec 7th 2009, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

What were they doing for 2 hours while they made him wait, that must have been really unpleasant? I'll be with my boyfriend, which I hope will help.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

Not sure if this is correct information, but I beleive once you leave the country your visitor's visa becomes null and void. That happened to me about 9 years ago. I had a 6 month visa and decided I wanted to visit home for 2 weeks. When I returned to complete the remaining time left on my visa I was pulled in by Immigration and told I didn't have a visa anymore! I had proof of funds, a life (kind of) back in the UK (even though I hadn't been there for a year) but still, I was questioned for a good hour or two before they gave me a new visa and let me through.
Like I say, I don't know if the same rules apply as my incident was years ago. BUT I do suggest you look into it before you leave Canada, it would be pretty crappy to find out you can re-enter the country!

Hope my story helps, and good luck

Wow, that is pretty frightening and exactly what is making me hesitant to take a risk. I have funds and will purchase a one way ticket to the UK, and can prove future employment, US bank account and intent to reside in the US upon my paperwork coming through there. I am just concerned that if I get refused it will harm my future plans to visit my boyfriend. Thanks for sharing the story, it's good to have other people experiences...
Old Dec 7th 2009, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

What were they doing for 2 hours while they made him wait, that must have been really unpleasant? I'll be with my boyfriend, which I hope will help.
...probably doing background checks on him....you'll be surpised what they know about you!!

FYI, if you are with your boyfriend and you get taken to Immigration, I imagine you would be seperated so that would also be fairly unpleasant.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

ottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the roughottawaharvey is a jewel in the rough

They kept asking him the same questions over and over again, came out and asked me the same questions, took his phone off him and looked through that. Checked details on the computer.
I thought maybe my son had 'attitude' with the officer and expected him to be spitting feathers when he came out but that wasn't the case. My son had 2 hours sleep in the last 24hours, he had worked his shift and then had to be up to clear immigration in Florida so as he said he was far too tired to give anyone attitude.
The office wanted to know what he would be doing in Ottawa for 2 months, he didn't believe he would just be sitting on the sofa but as my son explained he has just worked 14 hour days for 5 months solid with only 1 day off, all he wanted to do was sit on the sofa.
I don't want to scare you, as I said in my previous post I have come and gone many times without any issue. Also I did see another 2 women being questioned on the 'Canada' side by an immigration officer both times young men then came out so maybe they were just targeting young males on that day.