Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Strange: Why my parents are asked to interview?

Strange: Why my parents are asked to interview?

Old Mar 6th 2001, 4:07 am
Zhen & Wei

I am a Canadian PR and am sponsoring my parenents for immigration. Now they are required
to attend the interview. I am confused: They are family-class immigration applicant. Why
are they still required the interview? Lots of my friends parents have landed in Canada
while when they applied for family-class immigration none of them were required for
interview. I don't know what's wrong with my parents. Could anybody give me any advices
for what happens and how to deal with this?

Thanks.

Old Mar 6th 2001, 7:22 pm
WebImmigration.Com

Hi:

Many family class members are required to attend an interview. An interview with assist
the Visa officer in determining your parent's ability to successfully settle in Canada. A
Visa officer may refuse your parent's application for an immigrant visa if they feel that
your parent's are inadmissible on the basis that they might pose a burden on social
services in Canada (See s. 19(1) of the Immigration Act).

For information on family class sponsorships go to www.webimmigration.com

Yours truly, Ingrid Y. Chen, B.A., LL.B.

>
they
    >
    >
my
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 6th 2001, 8:12 pm
Jim Humphries

One could only speculate. Are your parents relatively young? Were they political. Were
they in government, the police or military? Or is it just some silly idea of the visa
officer? Your parents should make careful notes of the questions asked and their answers,
right after their interview. Jim Humphries, former visa officer

Zhen & Wei wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 6th 2001, 9:30 pm
James Metcalfe

Ingrid Chan BA LLB

If the sponosr meets the LICO there can be no determination that an applicant will be
inadmissible on grounds of "being unwilling or unable to support themselves" as per 19(1)b
of the Act. What are you smoking!

Jim Metcalfe , Consultant and former visa officer

>
    >
    >
interview
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >