Strange Job Offer

Old Jul 21st 2006, 10:51 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Rixy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 217
Rixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Strange Job Offer

Hi All,

I have a company in Canada which I am the the director for.
Can I apply for a LMO and work permit for myself to work for my own company in Canada.
Rixy is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2006, 11:25 pm
  #2  
Islander
 
windward's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Toronto, woo!
Posts: 953
windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all
Default Re: Strange Job Offer

Originally Posted by Rixy
Hi All,

I have a company in Canada which I am the the director for.
Can I apply for a LMO and work permit for myself to work for my own company in Canada.

.lol. Good question. I'm afraid I can't help but I'll be interested in the answer... Are you the equivalent of the CEO of this firm or are you a member of the board of directors?
windward is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2006, 11:27 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Rixy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 217
Rixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strange Job Offer

Originally Posted by windward
.lol. Good question. I'm afraid I can't help but I'll be interested in the answer... Are you the equivalent of the CEO of this firm or are you a member of the board of directors?
Well, I am the director at the moment but I need to work there to manage the company. Local goverment were i set up the business didnt ask me for any special immigration and they said it was perfectly legal for me to set up the business.
Rixy is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 12:21 am
  #4  
Here at last!!!
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: In the boonies, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 116
sydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant future
Default Re: Strange Job Offer

Hi
Yes you can, that's what I did. I think that your company may have to be incorporated (I am not sure, our lawyer just told us to but whether it is essential or just favourable, I don't know)

My company had to apply for a HRDSC approval for itself and then apply for a work permit for me to run the company as without me there wold be no company. We do a three year business plan to show that there was a need for the company, that it would be viable and that we would be employing Canadian citizens quite soon.

I initially got a years work permit and then after the first year we got it extended for a further two years.

I hope that this helps.
sydney is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 12:27 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Rixy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 217
Rixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strange Job Offer

Originally Posted by sydney
Hi
Yes you can, that's what I did. I think that your company may have to be incorporated (I am not sure, our lawyer just told us to but whether it is essential or just favourable, I don't know)

My company had to apply for a HRDSC approval for itself and then apply for a work permit for me to run the company as without me there wold be no company. We do a three year business plan to show that there was a need for the company, that it would be viable and that we would be employing Canadian citizens quite soon.

I initially got a years work permit and then after the first year we got it extended for a further two years.

I hope that this helps.
Thanks very much Sydney, exactly what i am after.
My company is incorporated so no issues there, could you pm me with how i apply for hrdsc approval for the company or myself
Rixy is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 10:20 am
  #6  
Slightly Canadian
 
Atlantic Xpat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 10,130
Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strange Job Offer

Without wishing to rain on your parade, this is now your preferred route to join your girlfriend in Newfoundland isn't it? After understanding that you are inelligable for family sponsored and not wanting to wait for skilled worker? If you can get away with it then good luck. I did pose the question to my immigration lawyer when I was going through the process as to whether I could buy and operate a company in Canada (& technically not be employed or take a wage) and the answer was a resounding 'no'.
Atlantic Xpat is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 10:59 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Rixy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 217
Rixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strange Job Offer

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Without wishing to rain on your parade, this is now your preferred route to join your girlfriend in Newfoundland isn't it? After understanding that you are inelligable for family sponsored and not wanting to wait for skilled worker? If you can get away with it then good luck. I did pose the question to my immigration lawyer when I was going through the process as to whether I could buy and operate a company in Canada (& technically not be employed or take a wage) and the answer was a resounding 'no'.

Hi Atlantic, thanks for the update but i am eligable for family sponsership if i can stay for over 12 months, that is all i want.
Rixy is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 11:49 am
  #8  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 4,483
Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strange Job Offer

Originally Posted by Rixy
Hi Atlantic, thanks for the update but i am eligable for family sponsership if i can stay for over 12 months, that is all i want.
You will not get a work permit to manage a company that you have set up in this way.
Jim Humphries is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 12:44 am
  #9  
Here at last!!!
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: In the boonies, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 116
sydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant future
Default Re: Strange Job Offer

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
You will not get a work permit to manage a company that you have set up in this way.
You obviously have a lot more background information than I do. From the little that he has said on this thread I wouldn't have thought that you could decide that.

I set up a company and got a work permit to run it. It surely would depend on the type of company that it was.
sydney is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 12:50 am
  #10  
Here at last!!!
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: In the boonies, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 116
sydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant future
Default Re: Strange Job Offer

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Without wishing to rain on your parade, this is now your preferred route to join your girlfriend in Newfoundland isn't it? After understanding that you are inelligable for family sponsored and not wanting to wait for skilled worker? If you can get away with it then good luck. I did pose the question to my immigration lawyer when I was going through the process as to whether I could buy and operate a company in Canada (& technically not be employed or take a wage) and the answer was a resounding 'no'.
I think that there is a difference between buying an existing company and setting up your own and also a difference as to whether the company is going to pay you and therefore whether you would actually be intending to work somewhere else to support yourself.
Before I got my work permit, everyone on here told me that it couldn't be done but luckily for me my immigration lawyer knew more than everyone else did. It was the best money we ever spent!!
sydney is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.