Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Stop The Press!! Immigration Rules Eased For Spousal Applications!!

Wikiposts

Stop The Press!! Immigration Rules Eased For Spousal Applications!!

Old Feb 22nd 2005, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

newapojim is on a distinguished road
Default Stop The Press!! Immigration Rules Eased For Spousal Applications!!

Have you heard the news!!!

Straight from "The Globe and Mail" (Canadain paper)
My fiancee scanned this article for me, and I thought I would share it for those who don't know!!

"Immigration rules eased for spousal applicants" Saturday 19th Feb 2005

I Quote

"Immigration minister Joe Volpe yesterday scrapped a controversial rule that forced thousands of would-be immigrants to seperate from their spouses while their bids for Canadain residency were processed.

In a move long sought by critics of Canada's overburdened immigration system, Mr Volpe told the House of Commons that, effective yesterday 'all spouses and common-law partners in Canada, regardless of their immigration status' can apply for permanent residence from within Canada, rather than having to do so from outside the country'"

This effectively means that 2,600 Canadain residency applications already on the Immigration Department's books will be automatically approved, subject to security and background checks...

That's part of it....

If you want the full article..I can email the Abode document to you...let me know

Good News!!!
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Snape is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stop The Press!! Immigration Rules Eased For Spousal Applications!!

Sounds good, im applying for Common Law Sponsorship with my Canadian girlfriend only we are not in Canada at the moment, i sent my application off in December 2004 still heard nothing for CIC.

Will this new legislation make any difference too my application do you think??.

Cheers
Ian
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 11:18 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by newapojim
Have you heard the news!!!

Straight from "The Globe and Mail" (Canadain paper)
My fiancee scanned this article for me, and I thought I would share it for those who don't know!!

"Immigration rules eased for spousal applicants" Saturday 19th Feb 2005

I Quote

"Immigration minister Joe Volpe yesterday scrapped a controversial rule that forced thousands of would-be immigrants to seperate from their spouses while their bids for Canadain residency were processed.

In a move long sought by critics of Canada's overburdened immigration system, Mr Volpe told the House of Commons that, effective yesterday 'all spouses and common-law partners in Canada, regardless of their immigration status' can apply for permanent residence from within Canada, rather than having to do so from outside the country'"

This effectively means that 2,600 Canadain residency applications already on the Immigration Department's books will be automatically approved, subject to security and background checks...

That's part of it....

If you want the full article..I can email the Abode document to you...let me know

Good News!!!
Could you try and post the pdf as an attchment in this forum?
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mhhp
Could you try and post the pdf as an attchment in this forum?
sorry the file is too large...just give me email addredd then I can forward it to you..

Regards
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snape
Sounds good, im applying for Common Law Sponsorship with my Canadian girlfriend only we are not in Canada at the moment, i sent my application off in December 2004 still heard nothing for CIC.

Will this new legislation make any difference too my application do you think??.

Cheers
Ian

I am getting married to my Canadain girlfriend on April 2nd 2005

(she works for the gov't Marriage license dept in Thunder Bay!!) so we should get all the paperwork submitted and dusted by mid April, then I wait in the UK...
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snape

Cheers
Ian

(she works for the gov't Marriage license dept in Thunder Bay!!) so we should get all the paperwork submitted by mid April, then I wait in the UK for the PR card to arrive...
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 12:00 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

sorry the file is too large...just give me email addredd then I can forward it to you..

Regards
sent you a pm, thanks

and congrats to your coming marriage.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Jameso is an unknown quantity at this point

(she works for the gov't Marriage license dept in Thunder Bay!!) so we should get all the paperwork submitted by mid April, then I wait in the UK for the PR card to arrive...
sorry to be mr downer but I don't think this is going to make a massive amount of difference, particularly to those of us applying from outside Canada.
I am not sure what would happen if you traveled to Canada and stated at the border that you had heard about this relaxation of the rules and want to apply form within. I assume they would say you are entering Canada on false pretences i.e as a visitor with the intention of marrying. I would be interested in the experts opinons.

It also does not change the fact that you cannot work while an inland application is processing (unless you already had permission to work)

Any one else got any views on how this REALLY changes things for spousal cases

james0
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.theglobeandmail.ca/servle...ational/Canada

or straight from the horse's mouth! at:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/press/05/0504-e.html
with the FAQs at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/sponsor/faq-spouse.html
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jameso
sorry to be mr downer but I don't think this is going to make a massive amount of difference, particularly to those of us applying from outside Canada.
I am not sure what would happen if you traveled to Canada and stated at the border that you had heard about this relaxation of the rules and want to apply form within. I assume they would say you are entering Canada on false pretences i.e as a visitor with the intention of marrying. I would be interested in the experts opinons.

It also does not change the fact that you cannot work while an inland application is processing (unless you already had permission to work)

Any one else got any views on how this REALLY changes things for spousal cases

james0
This news is GREAT news for those applying for INLAND spouse visa.

I myself have just arrived in BC- Canada (6 days ago) to visit with my fiance, marry and apply for inland PR. < this is exactly what i told the customs officer when i arrived at Vancouver.

This topic has already been discussed with Andrew commenting on the subject. If you do a search you will be able to find the threads.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Hello and a big thankyou for posting this topic. It is geat news and is wonderful to keep it cycling around for a while to keep people informed.

If you do a search you will find other threads relating to this topic. With comments from Andrew on this subject. *VBS*~ i am a very happy fiance, preparing to marry and apply from within Canada.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

macoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Immigration rules eased for spousal applicants

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...n+rules+eased+

OTTAWA -- Immigration Minister Joe Volpe yesterday scrapped a controversial rule that forced thousands of would-be immigrants to separate from their spouses while their bids for Canadian residency were processed.

In a move long sought by critics of Canada's overburdened immigration system, Mr. Volpe told the House of Commons that, effective yesterday, "all spouses and common-law partners in Canada, regardless of their immigration status" can apply for permanent residence from within Canada, rather than having to do so from outside the country.

This effectively means that 2,600 Canadian residency applications already on the Immigration Department's books will be automatically approved, subject to security and background checks, rather than being subjected to a lengthy screening process, under humanitarian and compassionate grounds, Mr. Volpe said in an interview.

"We're taking a look at some pressure points in the system," he said, adding that the move is in keeping with a recent government pledge to streamline the immigration process to speed the reunification of families.

Traditionally, spouses of Canadian citizens or residents were allowed to stay in Canada with their partners while their immigration claims were processed. That changed in 2002 with passage of the Immigration Refugee Protection Act.

Under that law, anyone without Canadian residency status had to prove that separation from their spouse would cause "undue hardship," or leave the country while the claim went through. If the necessary papers weren't filed on time, a common enough occurrence in immigration law, couples had to separate, sometimes for years, while backlogged claims were processed.