Stolen PR Travelling next week!

Old Apr 16th 2010, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

The Bird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stolen PR Travelling next week!

Hello all, unfortunately my handbag was stolen last night and within it was my PR card.

I am a British Citizen and have had PR status and been living and working in Vancouver for the last 5 years. I have reported my card stolen to the police. I am meant to be travelling next week to Mexico for a family wedding, is there any way I can still re-enter Canada w/o my PR card. I have looked into the timeframe (3 weeks) for a replacement PR card, but I can't seem to find any info on an 'expedited' service.

Can I re-enter Canada as a visitor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

eternal-optimist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stolen PR Travelling next week!

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...des/5445E7.asp

"If your application is considered urgent due to imminent travel, mail your completed application by registered mail to the address shown above.

Include a copy of your plane ticket and, write: “Urgent—Proof of travel included” on your envelope.

Note: A travel itinerary is not considered a satisfactory proof of travel."
Old Apr 17th 2010, 2:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bird
Hello all, unfortunately my handbag was stolen last night and within it was my PR card.

I am a British Citizen and have had PR status and been living and working in Vancouver for the last 5 years. I have reported my card stolen to the police. I am meant to be travelling next week to Mexico for a family wedding, is there any way I can still re-enter Canada w/o my PR card. I have looked into the timeframe (3 weeks) for a replacement PR card, but I can't seem to find any info on an 'expedited' service.

Why on earth were you carrying your PR Card anyway? (you don't have to).

Recommended to read:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Perman...nt_Card-Canada

Also could make the observation that if you had become a Canadian citizen, getting a passport quickly would probably be simpler.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:35 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why on earth were you carrying your PR Card anyway? (you don't have to).

Recommended to read:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Perman...nt_Card-Canada

Also could make the observation that if you had become a Canadian citizen, getting a passport quickly would probably be simpler.
1. Only works for visa exempt countries not having a PR card with you. Without a PR card and a citizen of country requiring a TRV for Canada, you are not going to be boarded on an airplane.
2. Some airlines, especially charters, will refuse to board you on a one-way ticket without the PR card.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

shazza151 has a brilliant futureshazza151 has a brilliant futureshazza151 has a brilliant futureshazza151 has a brilliant futureshazza151 has a brilliant futureshazza151 has a brilliant futureshazza151 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Bird

Hi Bird,

I had a simular problem last year, I am a UK citizen living in Alberta, Canada. my husband and I got our PR activated, the document they gave us each at the time of activation at the US/CAN border, stated,THIS IS NOT A TRAVEL DOCUMENT. My husband got his PR card in time to fly to the UK, but my PR card never arrived in time. I was due to fly back to the UK within 3 weeks of the activation of my PR.

I flew back to the UK, with my UK passport and my document given to me at the time of activation, which was not a problem, hoping that if my PR card turned up a friend could FED-EX it across to the UK.

The PR card never turned up in time for my flight back to Canada, so I took a risk, took the document out of my passport before leaving for the airport, handed my passport over at check-in, passport control and again before boarding the plane, (just like any other person who is going on holiday). Once on the plane and half way across the Atlantic, I put the document back in my passport, and entered Canada, I was never questioned, just let through. The document they give you at the border has your immigration information and status on there, I was thinking if any questions need to be addressed they can check in the system at Immigration.

I don't recommend you try this, but it what I did! (Technically I smuggled myself back into my country of permenant residence)

Shazza151
Old Apr 18th 2010, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

bear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nice

Hi there. We have just returned from holiday in mexico without the PR card. We landed on the first of April at the border so just had the piece of paper in our passports. Flew to Mexico on the 10th. The rules changed on the 24th Sept last year so that you can travel without pr card as long as you have got one of 4 other docs. Look on CIC under PR cards and go to FAQ about travelling by car. Thats where I got the info and had no problems. Hopes this helps