Still waiting and getting worried

Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

canucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the rough
Default Still waiting and getting worried

We're still waiting for my guy's visitor extention to come back. We sent it February 15 and his current visitor visa expires on March 21. Shouldn't we have gotten it by now? Not much time left, and we are getting worried....
Old Mar 7th 2005, 3:36 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Still waiting and getting worried

No, you shouldn't. If you would simply check current timelines posted on CIC website you would have found that processing time for extension at present is about 40 days.

As long as application was received by CIC before visa, permit or admission expiration then your guy is fine and have nothing to worry. After March 21 he will have so called implied status until extension or refusal comes from CIC.

Originally Posted by canucker
We're still waiting for my guy's visitor extention to come back. We sent it February 15 and his current visitor visa expires on March 21. Shouldn't we have gotten it by now? Not much time left, and we are getting worried....
Old Mar 8th 2005, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

canucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for your reply. The visitor extension didn't actually go to CIC, it was sent to Citizenship and Immigration - Visitor CPC in Vegreville, Alberta.

I was also curious if you or anyone knows how many times you can apply for an extension, as he would like to stay here with me while he is applying for PR as a common-law. Is there such a thing as a limit to number of times? Or is it less likely to be approved the second or third time if it takes that long?

Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 4:28 pm

What do you thing CPC Vegreville is? It is still CIC - Citizenship and Immigration Canada - just one of many processing centers.

Rules don't allow for extension of stay for the reason you indicated, sorry.

Extension may be granted if sponsorship case has already been filed, but will not be granted to let you stay just because you want to meet definition of common-law.

Thanks for your reply. The visitor extension didn't actually go to CIC, it was sent to Citizenship and Immigration - Visitor CPC in Vegreville, Alberta.

I was also curious if you or anyone knows how many times you can apply for an extension, as he would like to stay here with me while he is applying for PR as a common-law. Is there such a thing as a limit to number of times? Or is it less likely to be approved the second or third time if it takes that long?

Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

So my boyfriend can't get an extention (according to CIC rules) so we can apply as common law partners? We only need to live with each other for another 2 months and it will be a full year.

We plan on sending in the PR forms to CIC in May.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 4:57 pm

This is exactly what CIC's policy is - not to grant visa or extension of stay for the purpose you just stated.

So my boyfriend can't get an extention (according to CIC rules) so we can apply as common law partners? We only need to live with each other for another 2 months and it will be a full year.

We plan on sending in the PR forms to CIC in May.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

I had no idea. I was always told to just get an extention and it shouldn't be a problem.

So what is he supposed to do? Leave and then come back sometime in the future so we can technically live together for a year? Then after the 2 months go by, and we submit our application for PR, then try to get an extention if need be?

He is from the U.S. and we both just hate crossing the border because there is no guarantee they will let him back into Canada. CIC call centre suggested we apply for a visitors extension because they thought it would be less of a hassle and it would be a better guarantee.

We have questioned some of their advice thus far and we are wondering now if this was bad advice...
Old Mar 8th 2005, 6:24 pm

There are many options - get married or try to live together in both countries, 6 months in Canada and 6 months in US.

But he already applied for extension and there is nothing you can do now, short of hoping that you guys are lucky and his extension will be granted. Miracles do happen.

I had no idea. I was always told to just get an extention and it shouldn't be a problem.

So what is he supposed to do? Leave and then come back sometime in the future so we can technically live together for a year? Then after the 2 months go by, and we submit our application for PR, then try to get an extention if need be?

He is from the U.S. and we both just hate crossing the border because there is no guarantee they will let him back into Canada. CIC call centre suggested we apply for a visitors extension because they thought it would be less of a hassle and it would be a better guarantee.

We have questioned some of their advice thus far and we are wondering now if this was bad advice...
Old Mar 8th 2005, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the advice Andrew. It's been very informative and helpful. We really appreciate it.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

There are many options - get married or try to live together in both countries, 6 months in Canada and 6 months in US.

But he already applied for extension and there is nothing you can do now, short of hoping that you guys are lucky and his extension will be granted. Miracles do happen.
We got it a few weeks ago. Miracles of miracles. We can relax for a bit before we send in the PR papers now.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future

We got it a few weeks ago. Miracles of miracles. We can relax for a bit before we send in the PR papers now.
Congratulations!
Old Apr 10th 2005, 5:20 am
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

good to hear that canucker!! best of luck for ur common-law sponsorship!!!!
Old Apr 10th 2005, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Tim-Bo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Also worried!!

Maybe I'm being a bit premature (hope so). I posted my application off to CPC Mississauga by FEDEX, tracked it and was signed for by a D. Slee in their postroom on 15th February 2005, my Canadian wife is sponsoring me. Looking at the processing times and the fact that they are about 3 weeks behind and at the moment only processing application received up to 11 March as per status check last week on their web site.

Thought I would have got an AOR by now, hopefully will hear this week, if not will fax a query next week to see what's happening. Am dreading the fact that the paperwork might have been mislaid, the thought of having to put together another application, medicals etc is too daunting. Yes waiting is terrible and my heart goes out to those on the skilled worker and other lines of application as I realise I should be one of the lucky ones with a good timeline for spousal sponsorship.

Best wishes

Tim
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Also worried!!

Originally Posted by Tim-Bo
Maybe I'm being a bit premature (hope so). I posted my application off to CPC Mississauga by FEDEX, tracked it and was signed for by a D. Slee in their postroom on 15th February 2005, my Canadian wife is sponsoring me. Looking at the processing times and the fact that they are about 3 weeks behind and at the moment only processing application received up to 11 March as per status check last week on their web site.

Thought I would have got an AOR by now, hopefully will hear this week, if not will fax a query next week to see what's happening. Am dreading the fact that the paperwork might have been mislaid, the thought of having to put together another application, medicals etc is too daunting. Yes waiting is terrible and my heart goes out to those on the skilled worker and other lines of application as I realise I should be one of the lucky ones with a good timeline for spousal sponsorship.

Best wishes

Tim
Any new updates yet Tim?

And thanks all for the support!!!
Old Apr 25th 2005, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Tim-Bo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Also worried!!

Any new updates yet Tim?

And thanks all for the support!!!

Hello there, been away for a bit! In the meantime I have my letter and my wife has got the OK as sponsor and all documents have been sent to CHC London. I hope it is plain sailing now as I'm probably quite a boring application, i.e. not been resident in any other country, only had 5 addresses since birth and 3 jobs - so I should be easily trackable. Clean bill of health and no Police record.........!!!

Cheers

Tim