Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Still valid Permanent Resident Card

Still valid Permanent Resident Card

Old Jun 19th 2022, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

oxygen28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Still valid Permanent Resident Card

Hi Everyone,

Hope all is well.

I'm currently living in the UK under FLR visa. Now that the COVID situation is under control and restrictions were lifted, I am planning to visit Canada this summer. My last stay in Canada was last February 2019 and moved to the UK under Spouse Visa. I still have my Permanent resident Card and is still valid until 2023

My question is:
  1. Having been out of Canada for 3 years, am I still allowed to use my PR card to enter Canada without any problem? Are they still valid?
  2. I have Philippines passport, should I renounce my PR Card and apply for visitor visa instead?
Please can you advise?

Thanks in advance!

Old Jun 19th 2022, 7:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still valid Permanent Resident Card

Your card validity date isn't relevant. To maintain PR status you need to spend at least 730 days in Canada out of every 5 year period, so you need to count backwards from when you want to enter Canada and see if you'll have spent enough time in Canada. If not, you can still try and enter as a PR, but may well be reported for not meeting the residency obligation and then proceedings will start to revoke your PR. It would be a lot of hassle for you if you don't actually want to hang on to your PR status or intend to live in Canada again, so you may find it easier to renounce PR before you go if that's the case. You'll need to get a wiggle on though if that's the case, as it can take a while.

HTH.
Old Jun 20th 2022, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

oxygen28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Christmasoompa! I didn’t meet the residency then. Will then need to apply for voluntary renunciation for me and my Husband.

can I apply for voluntary renunciation and visitor visa application at the same time?

best regards,

Lea

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Your card validity date isn't relevant. To maintain PR status you need to spend at least 730 days in Canada out of every 5 year period, so you need to count backwards from when you want to enter Canada and see if you'll have spent enough time in Canada. If not, you can still try and enter as a PR, but may well be reported for not meeting the residency obligation and then proceedings will start to revoke your PR. It would be a lot of hassle for you if you don't actually want to hang on to your PR status or intend to live in Canada again, so you may find it easier to renounce PR before you go if that's the case. You'll need to get a wiggle on though if that's the case, as it can take a while.

HTH.
Old Jun 22nd 2022, 3:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oxygen28
Thanks Christmasoompa! I didn’t meet the residency then. Will then need to apply for voluntary renunciation for me and my Husband.

can I apply for voluntary renunciation and visitor visa application at the same time?

best regards,

Lea
You'll need to renounce your PR first.