Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Still no LMO and TWP will expire in May

Wikiposts

Still no LMO and TWP will expire in May

Old Mar 30th 2012, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

NicknBridget is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Still no LMO and TWP will expire in May

Our work permit runs out on May 11. OH's boss sent in the LMO application in early Feb but nothing has come back yet. He emailed the officer who was helping him with it on March 19 asking 'how long', and this officer then sent an email on to the officer dealing with the LMO asking if any more info was needed etc, but he has heard nothing since then. He is unable to reach anyone by phone as he ends up going round in circles and no one can give him any more info on the application. He thinks he sent the application to St Stephen, NB, but on doing some research it looks as though it should have gone to Saint John. I am thinking if this is the case, surely it would have been forwarded to Saint John.

Meanwhile we are getting worried as the date approaches. We have everything together ready to apply to extend the work permit online but are stuck without the LMO.

Worst case scenario is we are here and the permit has expired and FSW still processing. Medicare cards expire 'May 12' and we don't know if that means the beginning of the end of May. As I currently have a broken arm and am still visiting the hospital it's a great source of worry.

Any thoughts anyone? Anyone know who OH's boss could contact to get this information?
All help gratefully received...
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still no LMO and TWP will expire in May

Not a lot you can do other than wait unfortunately. LMO's seem to be taking about 12-16 weeks on average at the mo, so you're a way off that, but on the plus side the longer you hear nothing the more likely it is to be positive! Those that hear quickly are often rejected.

Best of luck, hope you hear soon.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply. If it does take this long and our twp does expire any idea what this means for us?

Thanks again
Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NicknBridget
Thanks for your reply. If it does take this long and our twp does expire any idea what this means for us?

Thanks again
You could switch to visitor status and be able to stay if you wanted - but obviously you can't work until you get new TWP or PR.

HTH, good luck.

Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:21 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You could switch to visitor status and be able to stay if you wanted - but obviously you can't work until you get new TWP or PR.

HTH, good luck.

And what about medical treament (arm checks, xray, removal of cast, etc)?
Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by el_richo
And what about medical treament (arm checks, xray, removal of cast, etc)?
Not a bloody clue. I was kind of hoping somebody else would answer that bit!
Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Im tending to think if they switched over to visitor status then they would not be covered under any provincial medical plans unless they have other medical coverage by a private plan.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:31 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Im tending to think if they switched over to visitor status then they would not be covered under any provincial medical plans unless they have other medical coverage by a private plan.
That's what i thought. And i would imagine a private plan would end with employment or status? Plus a new policy wouldn't cover existing issues.

Hopefully the arm is a straightforward break so they can cut their own cast off in the shed.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys for your input.
I just started a new thread on 'our options'. Didn't mean it to be to similar to this one, so apologies if it is.
We're just getting pretty desperate.

If we did stay as visitors how would we go about doing that, and when the LMO finally arrived would be applying for a new TWP or still extending the old one?
Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by el_richo
That's what i thought. And i would imagine a private plan would end with employment or status? Plus a new policy wouldn't cover existing issues.

Hopefully the arm is a straightforward break so they can cut their own cast off in the shed.
Sadly it wasn't, but I'm hoping that by May I will just be needing physio (and my boss is a physiotherapist so would help me) Good point about the private plan though. It gets more worrying by the second.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Read these links regarding extending your stay
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/extend-stay.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp
Old Mar 30th 2012, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for this. My head is buzzing with all of this. I'm seeing that if we were drive to the border we could come back as visitors until the LMO comes and we could apply for a TWP. Would we have to do this before our current TWP expires, on the day it expires or after? Or have I got the complete wrong end of the stick?
Old Mar 30th 2012, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you do exit Canada i.e. driving to the border and then re enter there is no guarantee that you would be allowed to return to Canada. Personally I would wait until you receive the LMO then have the TWP issued or change your status through CPC Vegreville office and stay in Canada.
Changes must be made before any current document expires NOT after.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

If you do exit Canada i.e. driving to the border and then re enter there is no guarantee that you would be allowed to return to Canada. Personally I would wait until you receive the LMO then have the TWP issued or change your status through CPC Vegreville office and stay in Canada.
Changes must be made before any current document expires NOT after.
Right, so if we get the LMO before our current TWP arrives, then we get the application in straight away, but if it looks as though it's not going to come in time we apply to change our status to visitors through CPC Vegreville instead and then when the LMO does come apply for a new TWP, also through Vegreville. Did I get that right?
Also, as visitors obviously we can't work, nor can our son go to school I'm assuming.
Sorry this is taking some hammering in. It's been a long day!
Old Mar 30th 2012, 11:10 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

You read it correctly. Your minor son could continue at school

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.