Steps to get a job in Canada

Old May 30th 2019, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Michello is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Steps to get a job in Canada

Hi, my wife and I are wanting to move to Canada. I am 39 and my wife is 46. I have been working as an electrical engineer for 15 years and I would like to get a job and work visa in Canada. What are the steps to achieve this? I have been reading a lot on the internet but still not sure what the best approach is. Many thanks.
Old May 30th 2019, 5:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Steps to get a job in Canada

Originally Posted by Michello
Hi, my wife and I are wanting to move to Canada. I am 39 and my wife is 46. I have been working as an electrical engineer for 15 years and I would like to get a job and work visa in Canada. What are the steps to achieve this? I have been reading a lot on the internet but still not sure what the best approach is. Many thanks.
Hi, welcome to BE.

When you say 'work visa', do you mean a Temporary Work Permit? If so, you'll need a job offer from a sponsoring employer, and a LMIA. The LMIA is something the employer has to apply for (at a cost to them of $1000), to prove that they cannot find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. The LMIA generally takes about 3-4 months to obtain. Once you've got a written job offer and the LMIA, you can then apply for your TWP.

You'll also need to get licensed to work in Canada, as yours is a regulated profession - search the forum for 'provincial certification' for more info.

Have a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki to understand how to go about finding that all important job offer and LMIA, essentially you'll need to get over there and knock on doors to be in with the best chance.

And just checking, but you only want to go temporarily? Definitely on a temp work permit and not anything more permanent?
Old May 30th 2019, 6:54 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Steps to get a job in Canada

https://newcomers.engineerscanada.ca/licensing-canada