Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Step son not coming to canada - why do we still have to pay for medical?

Step son not coming to canada - why do we still have to pay for medical?

Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Step son not coming to canada - why do we still have to pay for medical?

Originally Posted by jackiewalters
it is about money, feels like they want to make sure they drain us of all funds so that we cant come to canada because all payments have rendered us Broke!
But CIC don't even get the money for medicals?!

And are you 100% sure he'll never want to come and live in Canada - even 20 years down the line? What if his mother dies and he decides he wants to be near his father? I don't understand how on earth anybody can ever say they never want their children anywhere near them again to be honest, it baffles me. Might be worth doing anyway just to keep options open for the future.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:46 pm
Asia blue girl!!

jackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to all
Default Re: Step son not coming to canada - why do we still have to pay for medical?

Trust me the door is always open from our point of view, we were advised by our immigration consultant that we should submit a document stating that he would not be coming with us niether would he be sponsored by us, we assumed that this would be procedure so we complyed.

And you know what? to be honest? my step son will not come ever, hes been brought up to believe that life begins and ends in sunny Telford!! trust me. Any way, its not as if the door is closed completely, if I remember correctly the paperwork does ask if you have any family in Canada, surely that makes life a little easier? Its all to late now, paperwork has been submitted. Thanks all for your responses.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

We too are paying for meds and police check for unaccompanying step son. I really feel like it's throwing money out the window. CIC says we must do this to keep the door open for them in future...so why not naming them on form be good enough? Why must we spend hard earned money on people who may never accomp us? As they will need another med if they do decide to come years down the road.
If they are named on the form as dependant children non accompanying at this time, why the meds the first time around? will never understand this part
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 1:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
We too are paying for meds and police check for unaccompanying step son. I really feel like it's throwing money out the window. CIC says we must do this to keep the door open for them in future...so why not naming them on form be good enough? Why must we spend hard earned money on people who may never accomp us? As they will need another med if they do decide to come years down the road.
If they are named on the form as dependant children non accompanying at this time, why the meds the first time around? will never understand this part
If these rules were not in place, then Skilled Worker applicants with spouse or child with health problems would simply exclude them from the application and then sponsor them under Family Class (where there is a health waiver) after arrival in Canada.

Hence the rule that in order to keep open the option of Family Class, non migrating dependents must do a medical.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by highlandspirit8
I agree that it is worth getting medicals done for non accompanying, it gives them an option later in life.
I agree.

The child is still a child. Their life, their opinions, their attitudes may change hugely over a few years. Who knows where they may wish to end up?

I think you can sign a form confirming he is not coming with you, but I wouldn't sign a form to say you would never sponsor him in the future - they are two separate issues.

A couple of hundred more pounds will soon be lost in the grand scheme of emigrating. A year down the line, you won't even remember how much it was
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 1:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by highlandspirit8
I agree that it is worth getting medicals done for non accompanying, it gives them an option later in life.
Not a lifetime option, however ... only while they are eligible for the Family Class as dependent children (up to age 22 or so).

Otherwise they need to qualify primarily on their own merits.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

I don't give a rats backside about Skilled worker or Temp permits, we are applying spousal I am canadian he is brit...my step son is near 20, not a small child. So keeping door open for him is something he could care less about...he doesn't want to come, he was blantly clear, but we are paying for med and police check.
But I still think good money wasted.

Rules are different for spousal then other apps...so if there was a prob, if would not effect us as much as others.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:48 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I agree.

The child is still a child. Their life, their opinions, their attitudes may change hugely over a few years. Who knows where they may wish to end up?

I think you can sign a form confirming he is not coming with you, but I wouldn't sign a form to say you would never sponsor him in the future - they are two separate issues.

A couple of hundred more pounds will soon be lost in the grand scheme of emigrating. A year down the line, you won't even remember how much it was

That's a really good point - I have no idea how much we spent on anything to do with emigrating anymore - apart from the fact we lost ten grand on our house because the silly bint doing our sale didn't tell us if we held up for another two weeks we would have owned the house long enough not to pay the council back anything - Ho Hum!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 4:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
I don't give a rats backside about Skilled worker or Temp permits, we are applying spousal I am canadian he is brit...my step son is near 20, not a small child. So keeping door open for him is something he could care less about...he doesn't want to come, he was blantly clear, but we are paying for med and police check.
But I still think good money wasted.

Rules are different for spousal then other apps...so if there was a prob, if would not effect us as much as others.
There is less logic for requiring a medical if it's a spousal migration case, that is true.

Your son has until he is age 22 to change his mind, possibly not even until then unless he's in full time education. He could be excluded from the application if you were willing to accept Family Class is closed in future - realistically, there would be no way for you to compel him to do medicals and police checks if he refused. But it is good to keep options open, people do change their mind.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=JAJ;7509353]There is less logic for requiring a medical if it's a spousal migration case, that is true./QUOTE]

That was the point I was trying to make, we are doing the family thing now, so why should we be penalized by the same rules of other classes. Certain rules are changed or different rules do not apply in certain catagories.

Immigration really are lining pockets of already well off Dr's.