Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Step son not coming to canada - why do we still have to pay for medical?

Step son not coming to canada - why do we still have to pay for medical?

Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:45 am
Asia blue girl!!

jackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to all
Default Step son not coming to canada - why do we still have to pay for medical?

I am absolutly baffled by this, WHY?? its all about money there is no other rational excuse for it!! Medicals are NOT cheap, I am so angry its so unfair, we have submitted a notorised document stating that we do not attend to sponsor him and he will NOT be coming with us, yet we STILL have to pay! Do we have to pay for him? can we dispute this?

Please can you tell me of anyone else who has experienced the same thing? and also anyone who did not have to pay for a child who will not be coming.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

MR MOM will become famous soon enoughMR MOM will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Step son not coming to canada - why do we still have to pay for medical?

My son and daughters details from my first marriage were included on our application and like you we had to sign an affadavit to say that if they didn't have medicals we could never sponsor them in the future.they stayed in the UK and this was 2005
they didn't have the medicals and we didn't pay for anything.I don't know why you are being asked to pay for something that you will not do i.e. sponsor them in the future.

All I would say is think long and hard about signing the affadavit as it by far the biggest mistake of my life. I am unable to sponsor my kids to come over now and i wish i had put up with a little pain when applying to give them a fresh start later. i won't go into details why I didn't get them medicals but I sure wish i had as my son wants to live here now and its a nightmare
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:57 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Step son not coming to canada - why do we still have to pay for medical?

My Stepson had his medicals and we paid - he was only 14/15 at the time. Who knows what he'll want to do in the future, maybe he'll want to come here for longer than a holiday - we haven't closed the door for him
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Location: We have bought a beautiful house overlooking a lake in High River!
Tamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jackiewalters
I am absolutly baffled by this, WHY?? its all about money there is no other rational excuse for it!! Medicals are NOT cheap, I am so angry its so unfair, we have submitted a notorised document stating that we do not attend to sponsor him and he will NOT be coming with us, yet we STILL have to pay! Do we have to pay for him? can we dispute this?

Please can you tell me of anyone else who has experienced the same thing? and also anyone who did not have to pay for a child who will not be coming.

We have been through exactly the same as what you are experiencing. My husband's son from a previous relationship also had to have a medical despite him not accompanying us to Calgary. Besides having to pay for his medical his mother insisted that we gave her £100 otherwise she wouldn't take him for a medical! Rather than go through the courts etc we gave her the money and he did have his medical.

Thankfully it has all been sorted now and we have had our passport requests although the issue with the extra medical has caused a slight delay for us.

I agree with you that it is unfair and I feel sorry for people who have very awkward ex partners with whom they have no contact as it must cause a nightmare at this stage if the ex won't agree to their child having a medical.
At least we have not taken away the opportunity from my husband's son of being sponsored one day if he ever wanted to be.

Good luck-grin and bear it-just think of the wonderful future ahead of you!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:21 am
Account Closed

highlandspirit8 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just received our request for passports and I have 2 stepsons who are not accompanying us. We had their medicals done and still thought we could not sponsor them in the future. One lived with us which was no problem but the other lived in Bracknell (we are in Scotland) So my husband had to fly down and take him into London for his, as his mother wouldn't do it, it cost us a small fortune all round.
Anyway, I was under the assumption that they required medicals no matter what as, if something happened to their mother and they had no other guardian then they would be legally obliged to come to Canada to us, but I guess I am wrong on that, and it was because we didn't sign any affadavit. That is good news as we thought that they would have to come of their own accord.
I agree that it is worth getting medicals done for non accompanying, it gives them an option later in life.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:37 am
Asia blue girl!!

jackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to all

What I am trying to say is, we have been advised to sign an document stating that he will NOT be coming with us, therefore we will NOT be able to sponsor him yet they STILL require us to pay for a medical for him? THATS NOT RIGHT!!
surely???
Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:56 am
Account Closed

highlandspirit8 is an unknown quantity at this point

What I am trying to say is, we have been advised to sign an document stating that he will NOT be coming with us, therefore we will NOT be able to sponsor him yet they STILL require us to pay for a medical for him? THATS NOT RIGHT!!
surely???
No I don' think thats right. I would not sign the document. We didn't send any supporting info, whether it be financial support documents, custody documents etc.. and they didn't ask us to sign anything either, but they did send requests for medicals which we just thought was routine. We thought it was because they may have to come to Canada as we would be their legal guardians then if their mother died, and the Canadian government wants to make sure that there is nothing wrong with them that would create a burden to the healthcare if they did have to come over to Canada. Do I make sense? It's just money, money, money, I dread to think how much we have spent already. Gone are the days (when my sister immigrated) and they paid your flight over, skilled or not...
Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

surely???
I think you are misunderstanding the process, or whoever is advising you is. The reason you sign the affadavit is because you are stating that your step-son will not be accompanying you to Canada and that you understand if he doesn't have medicals then you will never be able to sponsor him to come and live in Canada in the future.

If he does have medicals, then you shouldn't be signing an affadavit because you will be able to sponsor him to come to Canada any time in the future.

Who is it that is advising you to sign the affadavit and also telling you he must have medicals?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

wlaw2003 will become famous soon enough

So if an unaccompanying son or daughter has to take medicals now, does this mean that they won't have to take medicals again in the future if they decide to move to Canada? Don't medicals expire for such persons in which case it really would be a waste of time and money?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Location: We have bought a beautiful house overlooking a lake in High River!
Tamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wlaw2003
So if an unaccompanying son or daughter has to take medicals now, does this mean that they won't have to take medicals again in the future if they decide to move to Canada? Don't medicals expire for such persons in which case it really would be a waste of time and money?
You have a really good point there!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:41 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Tamsin8
You have a really good point there!
The medicals are valid for a year, and after they expire, if the child was being sponsored s/he would require another medical. By having them "examined" ie the medical they would not be refused under 117(4) as having not been examined at the time of the application. No medical, then they are no longer members of the family class and cannot be sponsored.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

The medicals are valid for a year, and after they expire, if the child was being sponsored s/he would require another medical. By having them "examined" ie the medical they would not be refused under 117(4) as having not been examined at the time of the application. No medical, then they are no longer members of the family class and cannot be sponsored.
I believe there is also scope for waiver of the good health requirements for Family Class sponsorships ... hence the need to do a medical now in order to keep open Family Class as an option for the future.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:48 pm
Asia blue girl!!

Thanks guys in our case he due to family differences he defo wont be coming to live with us, this is what happens when parents involve the children in family (adult) issues that donot concern the child!!

So I am upset that we may have to find money for a person who wont be coming with us now OR in the future!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:14 pm
Asia blue girl!!

it is about money, feels like they want to make sure they drain us of all funds so that we cant come to canada because all payments have rendered us Broke!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:15 pm
Asia blue girl!!

Begining to wonder if they truley want people to immigrate to this wonderful country, they truely should not make it so hard, guess the cracks are starting to show finding it hard going.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.