Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

step children and children 'not' going

step children and children 'not' going

Old Dec 30th 2007, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

highlandspirit8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question step children and children 'not' going

I am in the situation where I have a combination of children and step children. One stepchild lives with us (19 yrs old) and the other
(14yrs) doesn't. Neither of them are coming to N.S. Canada with us, but hope to follow - (when finishes Uni and when finishes school respectively) how does this work on the application.
Also two of my other children, I had in a previous marraige, - they are coming with us. What do I have to have in my posession before I can apply for a)provincial nomination and b) permanent immigration e.g.? notarised letters of release etc.. and do all of the children, whether coming or not have to go for a medical, (one stepchild lives 500 miles away from us with a very unfriendly mother!)
Has anyone else been in this type of situation and how have you coped/co-ordinated it all?
Linda
Old Dec 31st 2007, 3:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: step children and children 'not' going

Originally Posted by highlandspirit8
I am in the situation where I have a combination of children and step children. One stepchild lives with us (19 yrs old) and the other
(14yrs) doesn't. Neither of them are coming to N.S. Canada with us, but hope to follow - (when finishes Uni and when finishes school respectively) how does this work on the application.
Also two of my other children, I had in a previous marraige, - they are coming with us. What do I have to have in my posession before I can apply for a)provincial nomination and b) permanent immigration e.g.? notarised letters of release etc.. and do all of the children, whether coming or not have to go for a medical, (one stepchild lives 500 miles away from us with a very unfriendly mother!)
Has anyone else been in this type of situation and how have you coped/co-ordinated it all?
Linda
Step-children not going with you should be declared as non-accompanying dependents and do medical checks / police checks as applicable.

Later on they can be sponsored under Family Class IF they still meet the requirements.

This is a particular concern for the older child. Can that child not be included on the application anyway, "land" in Canada and then return for good after finishing degree (if PR is still valid).

For the other children from previous marriage, how old are they and will you have permission from the other parent or alternatively a court order?

You don't need these things to apply for provincial nomination but you do need them to get your visa granted. And if your provincial nomination is resting on a job offer, then you cannot risk any delay so get the paperwork now.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

Mikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by highlandspirit8
Linda
My husband has two children from a previous marriage and due to a "psyco ex wife" no longer has contact with them nor has had for the past 7 years (even though we did go to court and get access etc - very long story" as they are not emigrating with us we had to put their names etc on the paperwork but as non accompanying family members. When we went for our medicals we have to have a form notorised stating that we will not be able to sponser the children in future they would have to go through the normal channels - at least they will still have the option if and when they are old enough and want to see their dad.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 12:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikelesley
My husband has two children from a previous marriage and due to a "psyco ex wife" no longer has contact with them nor has had for the past 7 years (even though we did go to court and get access etc - very long story" as they are not emigrating with us we had to put their names etc on the paperwork but as non accompanying family members. When we went for our medicals we have to have a form notorised stating that we will not be able to sponser the children in future they would have to go through the normal channels - at least they will still have the option if and when they are old enough and want to see their dad.

They can't be sponsored under Family Class but if you ever find yourself in a situation where the other parent cannot look after them (death, incapacity etc) there would be the option of applying to the Minister for discretion.