Staying without a Visa

Old Sep 8th 2005, 4:44 am
JoD
Forum Regular

JoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to all
Default Staying without a Visa

Hi, I have recently emigrated to Canada and my retired father would like to come and visit me as often as he can. I have heard that a visitor can stay upto 6 months without a visa - is this correct? Also, if he stays for 6 months how soon can he then come back to visit me and can he stay another 6 months? Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Sep 8th 2005, 4:58 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Staying without a Visa

Only if such visitor is a citizen of country on Canadian visa waiver list and only if admission is granted for 6 months. Admission may be granted for any period of time, from few days to 6 months and it is up to the discretion of examining officer at the port of entry.

If your father is from one of countries listed here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.html

then he needs visitor visa to come to Canada.

Period of admission to be granted has nothing to do with visa (TRV) validity and admission may be denied even if TRV is valid or if person is from country on visa waiver list.

Leaving Canada upon expiration of admission and coming back shortly after to gain new admission may work once, if at all. Officers at ports of entry are not idiots. If there is any indication that person is abusing visitor status by really living in Canada and trying to do it indefinitely then admission will be refused.

Originally Posted by JoD
Hi, I have recently emigrated to Canada and my retired father would like to come and visit me as often as he can. I have heard that a visitor can stay upto 6 months without a visa - is this correct? Also, if he stays for 6 months how soon can he then come back to visit me and can he stay another 6 months? Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Sep 8th 2005, 5:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Leaving Canada upon expiration of admission and coming back shortly after to gain new admission may work once, if at all. Officers at ports of entry are not idiots. If there is any indication that person is abusing visitor status by really living in Canada and trying to do it indefinitely then admission will be refused.
I beg to differ. My domestic partner was here from May 2004 until last weekend without a visa (she's an American). She made repeated trips out of Canada and explained each time at the border that she was living here without status but not working; no pretence, no distortion and no trouble being admitted. Bizarrely, when she tried to upgrade to being here on a study permit, the officer refused her admission on that basis but allowed her back in as an eternal tourist. Officers may not have to grant admission but, in practice, they do.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 7:09 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Please read my answer in full before you start "to differ".

Americans don't need visa to come to Canada. And if you read my other reply in the thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324793

you may understand why your partner didn't have problems.

Unfortunately those who require visa to enter Canada are not that lucky. Also Americans who already have spousal sponsorhip pending receive rather flexible and favorable treatment.

Not so in cases of parents from other countries.

Originally Posted by dbd33
I beg to differ. My domestic partner was here from May 2004 until last weekend without a visa (she's an American). She made repeated trips out of Canada and explained each time at the border that she was living here without status but not working; no pretence, no distortion and no trouble being admitted. Bizarrely, when she tried to upgrade to being here on a study permit, the officer refused her admission on that basis but allowed her back in as an eternal tourist. Officers may not have to grant admission but, in practice, they do.