Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

staying in Canada while application is processed

staying in Canada while application is processed

Old Jul 26th 2002, 2:20 am
Amir

Default staying in Canada while application is processed

Hi!

I need some help here. I Lived in Canada since 1997 on work/student permits. I
applied as independent(skilled worker) applicant, and I am in a serious relationship
with a Canadian woman.We have been involved for only 7 months, so my girlfriend
cannot sponser me unless we marry(something we would do down the road but not
now).By the time my work permit expires , It would be nearly 6 years since I came to
Canada(and resided continuously in Toronto),my relationship would be 19 months
old(out of which we lived 11 months together in Canada).I didn't establish residence
outside Canada.Came here when I was 23 right after my army service.Do I have a
chance to get an extension for my stay, as a visitor or maybe a temporary resident
permit while buffalo handles my application? Could I throw or should I throw, at
that point, a sponsorship application into the mix too?or should I just explain CIC
my circumstances and ask for an extension as a visitor.My case is rather easy, I
have quality documents(most were produced in Canada), IDs, and the backlog is the
only obstacle here, so I would expect a 2-3 months gaps between the expiry date of
my work permit and the issue of my immigrant visa. The only real problem is
seperation from my girlfriend which can be overcome by other means.I have no problem
going back to my native country for a few months.My fear is that it would take more
than a year after my visa expires to finialize this application. The serivce you get
for your 500$ is worth of a third world nation,Not a G8 country like Canada.You
can't call them , they won't answer any other form of communication, don't call the
call cantre in Tronto cause they cannot help you....what kind of BS is that?Are
there 3 people in buffalo processing these applications that so many lives depend
on? I guess once you get the status you dont really care anymore about anything but
the immigration department is impotent.

Old Jul 30th 2002, 2:20 pm
Klmok

Default Re: staying in Canada while application is processed

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:02:21 -0400, "Amir" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi!
    >
    >I need some help here. I Lived in Canada since 1997 on work/student permits. I
    >applied as independent(skilled worker) applicant, and I am in a serious relationship
    >with a Canadian woman.

Your application as an independent immigrant can be made only from outside Canada.
Based on your report you have a very good chance of being successful.

Getting married to a Canadian citizen provides you a short cut but that's between you
and your girlfriend.