Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Staying on in Canada- sponsorship by employer??

Staying on in Canada- sponsorship by employer??

Old Jan 13th 2011, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Staying on in Canada- sponsorship by employer??

Originally Posted by chanceUK
those residency requirements dont count if you have been out of the UK for study or on a temporary work permit
see the FAQs

"I have participated in the IEC on a previous occasion. Now that participation is restricted to two one-year periods, does my previous participation restrict my ability to travel to Canada in the future? No. The new policy of two one-year participation periods is not being implemented retroactively. So even if you have previously participated in the IEC, you will still be able to participate twice, assuming you can demonstrate eligibility to do so.

What does “3 years residency requirement” mean?

This means that that a candidate’s permanent residence (i.e. physically residing/living) must be in the UK for a period of at least three years full-time prior to applying to the IEC. An exception is made if the candidate is temporarily in a foreign country for studies or short-term work."

at the time of applying the OP would have been out fo the UK for less than a year. I think it would work, worth a try anyway

Last edited by chanceUK; Jan 13th 2011 at 6:53 am.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:00 am
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chanceUK
see the FAQs

"I have participated in the IEC on a previous occasion. Now that participation is restricted to two one-year periods, does my previous participation restrict my ability to travel to Canada in the future? No. The new policy of two one-year participation periods is not being implemented retroactively. So even if you have previously participated in the IEC, you will still be able to participate twice, assuming you can demonstrate eligibility to do so.

What does “3 years residency requirement” mean?

This means that that a candidate’s permanent residence (i.e. physically residing/living) must be in the UK for a period of at least three years full-time prior to applying to the IEC. An exception is made if the candidate is temporarily in a foreign country for studies or short-term work."

at the time of applying the OP would have been out fo the UK for less than a year. I think it would work, worth a try anyway
It is vague to say the least. As I've already been in Canada for 2 years, I am applying under the assumption that it means '3 years' at face value - I've resided in England for 21 years. I've seen nothing from the website that suggests that it has to be the three years directly before applying, and I assume this because:

- you don't need a foreign police check, if the country you were living in outside of the UK was Canada
- you can reapply straight away for a 2nd one year visa - which would break their 3 year rule, if it were the '3 years directly prior'.

I believe the 3 years thing may be an attempt to stop people moving to Britain, and hopping straight over to Canada (note that the English language examinations have come in for some types of visas, I think as a result of this type of situation).

Personally, I say go for it...it is pretty risk free as you don't pay any fees unless you qualify for the program.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

alicealiceh is an unknown quantity at this point

wow! this is all big news to me. going to speak to my boss tomorrow about the LMO (and more importantly the payrise he'd have to give me!) and then definitely apply for this IEC thing when it opens up.
thanks so much everyone!
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Hey! So i've been checking out the IEC thing, and seems that you can apply already through Bunac, even though IEC says it won't open 'til the 18th (tomorrow!)

Bunac has stated that "If you are currently on a work permit in Canada then you cannot apply to BUNAC until your current permit has expired" which pretty much means I won't get a chance to apply as my WHV isn't up til 19th of May, and surely all the spaces will be gone by that point.

However, on the IEC website in the FAQs section it says this:

I am in Canada/in another country. Can I participate to the IEC initiative without coming back to the UK?

If your usual place of residence is the UK and you are temporarily out of the country, you may apply from the country in which you are. You can download the participation kit on our website and send your completed application by mail to the address indicated in the instructions. If your application is accepted, you will receive your Letter of Introduction by email. If you are already in Canada, you will have to leave the country with this letter and present it to an Immigration Officer at a Canadian port of entry (i.e. a border crossing) in order to obtain your work permit.

I know that doesn't specify whether temporarily being in Canada includes temporarily working here on a WHV, or if it means visiting.

All this vagueness/ conflicting information is making my head hurt! Anyone able to shed some light on this shambles?
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:24 am
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by alicealiceh
Hey! So i've been checking out the IEC thing, and seems that you can apply already through Bunac, even though IEC says it won't open 'til the 18th (tomorrow!)

Bunac has stated that "If you are currently on a work permit in Canada then you cannot apply to BUNAC until your current permit has expired" which pretty much means I won't get a chance to apply as my WHV isn't up til 19th of May, and surely all the spaces will be gone by that point.

However, on the IEC website in the FAQs section it says this:

I am in Canada/in another country. Can I participate to the IEC initiative without coming back to the UK?

If your usual place of residence is the UK and you are temporarily out of the country, you may apply from the country in which you are. You can download the participation kit on our website and send your completed application by mail to the address indicated in the instructions. If your application is accepted, you will receive your Letter of Introduction by email. If you are already in Canada, you will have to leave the country with this letter and present it to an Immigration Officer at a Canadian port of entry (i.e. a border crossing) in order to obtain your work permit.

I know that doesn't specify whether temporarily being in Canada includes temporarily working here on a WHV, or if it means visiting.

All this vagueness/ conflicting information is making my head hurt! Anyone able to shed some light on this shambles?
I believe you CAN apply straight through the Canadian Embassy, but not through BUNAC (they have their own terms and conditions, apart from following Canadian Embassy guidelines).

Yes, its all confusing, but I think you should be ok to get a visa through the direct application process.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:25 am
Just Joined

i damn sure hope so! hoping it opens as planned tomorrow and i can get my application in first thing. such stress, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! thanks for your advice everyone
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:27 am
Just Joined

p.s. mattieuk, are you in a similar situation to me? i see from previous posts that you have been here for 2 years now..

are you already on a temporary work permit as opposed to a working holiday visa?
Old Jan 17th 2011, 3:20 pm
Temporary Canuck

p.s. mattieuk, are you in a similar situation to me? i see from previous posts that you have been here for 2 years now..

are you already on a temporary work permit as opposed to a working holiday visa?
I'm currently on my second BUNAC visa, and am applying to get an IEC visa - and later on in the year starting my common-law PR application.

Assuming that this whole IEC malarkey goes as I believe it should be. It isn't any fun playing guinea pig for the Canadian Embassy!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:53 am
Just Joined

I am currently in Canada with a work permit issued under the IEC initiative. My employer would like me to continue working after the permit expires. Is this possible? What should I do?

You may not work in Canada without holding a valid work permit. Keeping in mind that a work permit issued under the IEC initiative cannot be renewed or extended, one possibility remains:

so it's still no clearer today.

thinking of just blindly applying. do you think i need to get a new police ceritificate?

this part below is confusing to say the least:

If you wish to prolong your stay in Canada under Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s Temporary Foreign Workers Program, you must apply for a work permit at least 30 days before the expiry date of your current status as an IEC participant by contacting the Case Processing Center at the following address:

CPC Vegreville, 6212, 55th Avenue,
Vegreville, Alberta T9C 1W5
CANADA.

For more information, you can contact the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) call center at 1-888-242-2100 or consult the CIC website.

Please note that your employer must first obtain a favorable Labor Market Opinion (LMO) from Service Canada in order for you to submit an application for a temporary work permit.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:21 am
Temporary Canuck

Are you British?

What is stopping you applying for one of the new guideline IEC visas? You don't need an LMO for those...
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:24 am
Just Joined

yeah i am thinking of doing that but it doesn't even seem like i'm that eligible for some reason.. that question threw me as it's pretty much exactly what i want to do. although perhaps my boss would let me take a break if i needed to go home. it just doesn't seem clear whether you can apply successfully while you are still in canada. are you getting a new police certificate?
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:30 am
Temporary Canuck

yeah i am thinking of doing that but it doesn't even seem like i'm that eligible for some reason.. that question threw me as it's pretty much exactly what i want to do. although perhaps my boss would let me take a break if i needed to go home. it just doesn't seem clear whether you can apply successfully while you are still in canada. are you getting a new police certificate?
Yup, new police certificate.

With these visa issues, if they don't say that you can't do it, assume you can.

The embassy guidelines say nothing about not being to apply from outside the country (Britain).