British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Statuary Declarations - Notarized? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/statuary-declarations-notarized-766859/)

wesbray Aug 1st 2012 12:43 am

Statuary Declarations - Notarized?

How does the process work for getting documents notarized? I have literally no idea how to do it or who can do it. Can my common law partners parents do it? Very confused!

Stu_g2004 Aug 1st 2012 2:05 am

Re: Statuary Declarations - Notarized?

You need a "notary public". Google it. Our solicitor was one so basically you take down which ever documents you need certified along with your photo ID, pay them, ( we paid about £15 each doc) and they copy it and fix a special stamp then wax seal it.

daiske Aug 1st 2012 2:36 am

Originally Posted by wesbray (Post 10203800)
How does the process work for getting documents notarized? I have literally no idea how to do it or who can do it. Can my common law partners parents do it? Very confused!

We went to a notary and paid around 15 euros to have it stamped.

exenglishman Aug 1st 2012 3:22 am

Originally Posted by wesbray (Post 10203800)

if your in the UK go to any solicitors/lawyers office. It costs 5 pounds per document to have done, those who paid more shouldn't have or must of paid for something else too, as its a regulated fee (meaning they cant charge any more than the regulated amount)

Stu_g2004 Aug 1st 2012 3:32 am

Originally Posted by chrisbrockhurst (Post 10203934)
if your in the UK go to any solicitors/lawyers office. It costs 5 pounds per document to have done, those who paid more shouldn't have or must of paid for something else too, as its a regulated fee (meaning they cant charge any more than the regulated amount)

I think you'll find that notary publics can charge what they want! Their is no regulation, and no you can't go to any solicitors. You have to be a certified notary public. Not all solicitors are!

Jim Humphries Aug 1st 2012 4:19 am

In Canada all lawyers are also notaries public.

SchnookoLoly Aug 1st 2012 7:29 am

For ours I just phoned up solicitors' offices around where I work and asked if they did declarations. Found one that charged me £10, and did 2 copies for me. Easy enough! I just googled "solicitors in london" and found a site that let me search by postcode. Don't be afraid to ask around for pricing as well - he first place I called wanted to charge £75, which I knew wasn't normal based on the £5-10 being regularly posted on here.

Almost Canadian Aug 1st 2012 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 10204188)
For ours I just phoned up solicitors' offices around where I work and asked if they did declarations. Found one that charged me £10, and did 2 copies for me. Easy enough! I just googled "solicitors in london" and found a site that let me search by postcode. Don't be afraid to ask around for pricing as well - he first place I called wanted to charge £75, which I knew wasn't normal based on the £5-10 being regularly posted on here.

There is a huge difference between a declaration (stat dec) or swear (affidivit) and a notarization. Any solicitor in England can perform the former, only a Notary Public can perform the latter.

All lawyers in the common law Provinces in Canada are Notary Publics, most solicitors in England are not. This fact causes lots of confusion in trans-Atlantic issues. Ordinarily, when Canadians request a "notarization" what they actually mean is a declaration or swear.

You will need to check with the relevant authority what it is they actually require. A Statutory Declaration does not need to be notarized but, frequently, Courts in Canada require Affidavits and Statutory Declarations sworn or declared outside of the jurisdiction to be performed before a Notary Public.

In England, the fee for a swear or declaration is governed by statute, the fee for a notarization is not. It is simply supply and demand.

wesbray Aug 1st 2012 9:00 pm

Ok so now i'm even more confused...

exenglishman Aug 2nd 2012 1:48 am

Originally Posted by wesbray (Post 10205466)
Ok so now i'm even more confused...

ring a solicitors/lawyers near you and ask if they will do it. This is what I did and it worked fine for me, just waiting for COPR.

SchnookoLoly Aug 2nd 2012 12:46 pm

I can't remember now if I phoned around asking for a solicitor or a notary public - I know that I had two of my letters signed by "lawyers" (Blanket term there as I don't know which of the two they were), but basically I had someone write that the information on the form was declared and signed before them on x date at x location, then wrote their name, title, and contact information on the form - worked well enough. Basically just explain what you need done, and they'll tell you whether or not they can do it.

graham and george Aug 2nd 2012 8:49 pm

We got a solicitor to do all our paper work total was about £90.00 but did have over 90 pages .So a pound a go is not bad

Waiting medicals so must have been ok