Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Stating Immigration Intent on Covering Letter?

Stating Immigration Intent on Covering Letter?

Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Rodge9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stating Immigration Intent on Covering Letter?

Hey folks,

Just wondering what do about this, I've done a search and couldn't find anything dealing with quite the same situation and have found the wiki article useful but would like to know if anyone has personal experience with this.

Basically I'm arriving next month on a BUNAC Visa - which I've had before - and thanks to new regulations I could well be eligible to take two back-to-back, which hopefully I'll know before I leave next month. In any case I'd like to get PR when I'm there this time.

In any case, there's a job for which I want to apply and the application deadline is on Sunday. I think I'm very well-qualified and suited to it but obviously won't be within Canada when making the application - evidently not a new situation for this forum. I'm hoping that if offered this job that will serve as an AEO through which I could then apply for PR through FSW (I've looked into the points situation, confident I have enough).

Anyway so essentially I'm wondering how much of the above I should put in the cover letter with my application. Evidently as my address is in England they'll work out I'm not a Canadian, so I'm wondering which is the best option to do:

a) Write basically what I've explained above - arriving next month on a year Visa, hopefully 2 years, plan to apply for residency as a skilled worker if offered the job;

b) State when I'm arriving and that I'm eligible to work in Canada when I do, but nothing about the potential immigration process, or;

c) Pretty well nothing about it as they'll see from my application that I have a valid work permit and then in theory they shouldn't treat me differently from any other applicant?

I tend to like things to be clear but for me that usually means writing more words rather than fewer! I don't want my covering letter to be an essay but nor do I want to be guilty of lying by omission.

Any help on this is very much appreciated.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 7:19 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stating Immigration Intent on Covering Letter?

Originally Posted by Rodge9
Hey folks,

Just wondering what do about this, I've done a search and couldn't find anything dealing with quite the same situation and have found the wiki article useful but would like to know if anyone has personal experience with this.

Basically I'm arriving next month on a BUNAC Visa - which I've had before - and thanks to new regulations I could well be eligible to take two back-to-back, which hopefully I'll know before I leave next month. In any case I'd like to get PR when I'm there this time.

In any case, there's a job for which I want to apply and the application deadline is on Sunday. I think I'm very well-qualified and suited to it but obviously won't be within Canada when making the application - evidently not a new situation for this forum. I'm hoping that if offered this job that will serve as an AEO through which I could then apply for PR through FSW (I've looked into the points situation, confident I have enough).

Anyway so essentially I'm wondering how much of the above I should put in the cover letter with my application. Evidently as my address is in England they'll work out I'm not a Canadian, so I'm wondering which is the best option to do:

a) Write basically what I've explained above - arriving next month on a year Visa, hopefully 2 years, plan to apply for residency as a skilled worker if offered the job;

b) State when I'm arriving and that I'm eligible to work in Canada when I do, but nothing about the potential immigration process, or;

c) Pretty well nothing about it as they'll see from my application that I have a valid work permit and then in theory they shouldn't treat me differently from any other applicant?

I tend to like things to be clear but for me that usually means writing more words rather than fewer! I don't want my covering letter to be an essay but nor do I want to be guilty of lying by omission.

Any help on this is very much appreciated.
I would go with Option C which is all your legally obliged to tell them.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 8:20 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
You are not legally obliged to say anything. Common sense would dictate you give status and dates though. I believe employment law does not cover applicants from outside of the country either.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by James Martindale
Originally Posted by The Aviator
You are not legally obliged to say anything. Common sense would dictate you give status and dates though. I believe employment law does not cover applicants from outside of the country either.
Thanks for the replies. I think it gets more complicated if I mention the second BUNAC Visa (actually technically it's be the third ), but I think it'll give me more leeway, presumably this is for me to know and for them to find out when I have it confirmed though? How could the employment law thing affect me (I presume that once I land I will be covered)?
Old Dec 16th 2009, 10:29 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rodge9
Thanks for the replies. I think it gets more complicated if I mention the second BUNAC Visa (actually technically it's be the third ), but I think it'll give me more leeway, presumably this is for me to know and for them to find out when I have it confirmed though? How could the employment law thing affect me (I presume that once I land I will be covered)?
Keep it simple, if you have a right to work say so and the dates and for how long. Be upfront and straight is the best policy. Until you get PR you can only be a temporary hire.

'For them to find out' can end up getting you fired if they hire you then find out, this is just cause for dismissal. Then the employment legislation would affect you.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

I didn't have any work authorisation when applying, but stated in the last paragraph of the letter something along the lines of:

"Whilst I am currently resident in the UK, I envisage relocation to Canada would be swift under a temporary work permit, with my intention being to apply for Permanent Residency from within Canada".

I was invited to interview, offered the job and am currently waiting for the LMO to be re submitted (as 1st one was declined), or failing this AEO or PNP.

Maybe write something in your resume in regards to work authorisation, in your objectives section. I wouldn't say how long you have authorisation for, just say you have it.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wolstie
I didn't have any work authorisation when applying, but stated in the last paragraph of the letter something along the lines of:

"Whilst I am currently resident in the UK, I envisage relocation to Canada would be swift under a temporary work permit, with my intention being to apply for Permanent Residency from within Canada".
Thanks for the reply, sounds like a good plan, I'll try and keep it relatively sshort albeit the possibility of a second BUNAC Visa is what's creating complication (as I won't be able to say for sure that I have it). I think I'll state I want to apply for residency though in a similar way to you. There is in fact a section in the application form where I can state Visa conditions so that might be the place to describe the detail.

I was invited to interview, offered the job and am currently waiting for the LMO to be re submitted (as 1st one was declined), or failing this AEO or PNP.
Going slightly off-topic but despite reading this site, and others, for some time I'm still slightly confused about what you need for the different type of residency applications - do you need a LMO for both FSW and PNP, or just the latter?

Maybe write something in your resume in regards to work authorisation, in your objectives section. I wouldn't say how long you have authorisation for, just say you have it.
I don't have an objectives section in my resume as I saw what the wiki article said and agreed with it, any recruiters have anything to say on whether this is a good move or not?