Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Starting work while awaiting UK house to sell

Wikiposts

Starting work while awaiting UK house to sell

Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all
Default Starting work while awaiting UK house to sell

Has anyone Landed, got a job and then started in Canada. This while the OH and family stay until everything is sorted out in the UK.

There could be a possibility that I may have to start a position, the family stay in the UK until the house is sold. Probably get through the winter then Land in the spring or after school year finishes.

The only hang up there is paying for 2 sides of the ocean at the same time.

Anyone done this and coped ?

JET
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:48 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Starting work while awaiting UK house to sell

Jet

Quiet a few people have done this over the years, not a easy choice, but can be sorted if that is what is needed to be done.............
if you do a search quiet alot will come back, i know a few names that come to mind..........it will all depend on you and your OH.....

Good Luck
LB
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JET747
Has anyone Landed, got a job and then started in Canada. This while the OH and family stay until everything is sorted out in the UK.

There could be a possibility that I may have to start a position, the family stay in the UK until the house is sold. Probably get through the winter then Land in the spring or after school year finishes.

The only hang up there is paying for 2 sides of the ocean at the same time.

Anyone done this and coped ?

JET
Hi JET

Done this got the Tshirt and survived was it good for our family ? I dont think so.

My husband came out without our house even being on the market due to the fact that the immigration lawyer who dealt with the LMO for his employer told us not to sell until we had a TWP in our hand.

We were apart for 6 months and although we came through the other side I think that the stress levels are really high, you feel as though you have left half your body somewhere and dont know where it is and then 1 person has to pack up the damn house

It probably took us nearly 12 months to get properly back into the swing of being a family again.

If you have to do it then you have to do it as we did but try and make sure that the time you spend apart is as little as possible.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:56 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jet,
I did this after watching Burton Bunch's experience, and I have to say I totally agree with her, it was very tough, not for the faint hearted.......

Our main issues were that I felt like OH was having a brilliant time whilst leaving me to do everything, sell the house, sort the house, pack the house, ship the house, all whilst looking after three kids and still working full time.

Just for fun we threw in a nail biting Court case in the final month.....

What I did not really consider was that OH was having a great time he was doing it without the ones he wanted to share those experiences with. He was struggling to learn a new job without his usual moral support.

My husband left in the March and we finally put the family back together in August, like BB I would say it has taken a year to put everything back together again, and I still feel like we lost something.

The ones with the issues were the adults the kids were fine, apart from missing Daddy.

Financially we had no issues, OH lived with distant family for the first 3 months, then rented a house. We had money in the UK to cover everything else, plus my wages.

The biggest problem we had was that our house did not sell until the January, by which time our money in the UK was down to the pennies, my salary here was half of what I had been earning in the UK, and our nerves were getting a tad frazzled.

Have you considered all of these situations?

It can be done.

Charlie

Last edited by purple80; Sep 25th 2009 at 4:02 am.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 4:19 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I commuted between Canada and the UK. As I traveled a lot anyway it was not a big deal, but was hard on the kids, not knowing when I would be with them and not. In the end we left the house empty and waited for it to sell so the kids could be more settled.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

My situation is the same as BB's and Purple's. My husband left the UK on September 2nd to start a new job in Alberta and I am still in the UK with the children. Like Purple, I too had those feelings that my OH was having fun etc without me and I got in many a girly strop in the first week It took one of my friends to shut me up as she said that I have the children here and he is all alone in a new country starting a new job and that shut me up thankfully It is silly little things that bother me to be honest like if our little girl does or says something funny and I can't just call him up to tell him. When he worked in UK, I was used to him working away a lot but we still spoke daily on the phone and I find that the hardest part for me. Where me OH and I are concerned, I find using the webcam via MSN or Skype to be the best form of communicating for us as you are able to see each other too...and its free!

As for keeping 2 houses, that doesn't really apply to us as my OH is a trucker and he is going to basically live in the truck until myself and the kids & kittys move over sometime early next year. I am trying to manage on my own financially as one of the reasons that my OH has gone over 1st is to put the money he earns in the bank for start up costs when I join him. We only rent our house here thankfully so it is will only be the case of me giving a months notice.

I am also going over on my own hopefully in December to see my hubby and maybe that is an option for you to consider too as I found that settled my mind a bit knowing it wasn't going to be 6 months until I saw him again. I think obviously everyone copes in their own way. I think I would have coped much better in the first week if we hadn't only just got married 9 days before he left!! The only 'bad' bit I find at the moment is that I'm bored out of my tiny little mind....it feels like when you are a kid waiting for Christmas to hurry up and get here!!

One bit of advice if you do decide to be apart for a little while....do some major house sorting before you leave! We really didn't get a chance to get much done regarding having clear outs due to planning our wedding and I kid you not, I've started sorting through things now and its a hell of a job on your own with the kids about too.

Hope that waffling on of mine helped

Last edited by farjojo71; Sep 25th 2009 at 5:44 am.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

Thanks for the replies. It certainly as put a perspective on things. It will be hard, my only comfort was the fact that there are family here that can help out.

If I was in Canada I would try to work as much as possible. How are Bed and Breakfasts ? Then again I wouldn't want the breakfast side of it. My OH doesn't work, so my wage as been the only income. Therefore it is a balance.

If I could get a job in the oilsands, fly in fly out, I could possibly just stay on camp. However, it looks like opportunities may present themselves in Edmonton - which means that it is no camp.

I know we are jumping ahead, but I think that the casing point reading you posts are try to start selling things now. My thoughts at present is to put up the house when I get a passport request - as long as we do !!. If it all sells good, if not I think the sacrafice that you have and are going through may have to be endured to get what we want.

Cheers

JET
Old Sep 25th 2009, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

Goodluck JET, could be a tough decision.

Poppit