Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Starting the process: which route?

Starting the process: which route?

Old Sep 10th 2011, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

boybiskit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting the process: which route?

OK I'm confused. I've had some advice from people living out in BC but it looks like their experience is out of date and things have got harder / more complicated, so some help to get us started would be much appreciated!

My wife and I (and two kids) are looking to move to Vancouver. I work in a public relations (PR) agency and my wife in TV production. We accept that it's going to take a while!

But which of the many different routes give us the best chance of getting to Vancouver?

- On the 'points' test we are fine. Looking at 'the list' on the wiki it looks like i MIGHT get in under '1122 Professional Occupations in Business Services to Management'. Does anyone have any experience of people in PR getting in through this route? It seems to work for people in advertising.

- Sponsorship. How open to this are Canadian (specifically BC and Vancouver) employers? To me it sounds like a headache for them.

- Are there any provincial routes in BC that might work for our occupations? I can't see any.

- Are we doomed in our current occupations (I am quite happy to switch to something else if that's what it takes)?

We want to do a recce to make sure we still like Vancouver (we lived there for a year 10 years ago) in February but I want to be sure we're in with a chance of getting in before I get too excited / book flights.

Thanks in advance for any help on first post
Old Sep 10th 2011, 11:56 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting the process: which route?

You could start by reading this
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...an_Immigration

Each category has a quota, so you have to apply early on in the quota, it will fill fast. I believe 1122 has already filled for the current year.

PNP might work for you.

TWP is another option if you can find an employer able and willing to go that route.

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 10th 2011 at 11:59 am.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by boybiskit
- On the 'points' test we are fine. Looking at 'the list' on the wiki it looks like i MIGHT get in under '1122 Professional Occupations in Business Services to Management'. Does anyone have any experience of people in PR getting in through this route? It seems to work for people in advertising.
Have you actually looked at the list of duties under 1122? It's just that it's for management consultants etc, not sure that working in PR would qualify you, but it will depend on the daily duties you do. As The Aviator has said, 1122 has already filled for this year anyway, so if you do qualify under that one, you'd need to hope it's still on the list for next year and then apply in July 2012.

- Are there any provincial routes in BC that might work for our occupations? I can't see any.
If you have a job offer, then yes.

- Are we doomed in our current occupations (I am quite happy to switch to something else if that's what it takes)?
I wouldn't say 'doomed' at all - as long as you accept that you will probably have to go over on a TWP first and don't mind not having the security straight away, and as long as you are prepared for wait to find a job offer and prepared to put the leg work in to find one. No point in switching to something else as you'd first need to qualify in it, then work full-time for a year, and by that point the list of eligible occupations for FSW may well have changed anyway!

Does it have to be BC? Any family in Canada?
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

boybiskit is an unknown quantity at this point

OK I'm confused. I've had some advice from people living out in BC but it looks like their experience is out of date and things have got harder / more complicated, so some help to get us started would be much appreciated!

My wife and I (and two kids) are looking to move to Vancouver. I work in a public relations (PR) agency and my wife in TV production. We accept that it's going to take a while!

But which of the many different routes give us the best chance of getting to Vancouver?

- Sponsorship. How open to this are Canadian (specifically BC and Vancouver) employers? To me it sounds like a headache for them.

We want to do a recce to make sure we still like Vancouver (we lived there for a year 10 years ago) in February but I want to be sure we're in with a chance of getting in before I get too excited / book flights.

Thanks in advance for any help on first post
Thanks for your replies both: all encouraging stuff. The one big thing in there that I'd missed in the wiki is that the list changes every year! As you point out - that would kinda make switching occupations pointless.

I'm not too worried (yet) about this year's quota for 1122 being full as I'm fully expecting this process to take 2 or 3 years.

And christmasoompa it does have to be BC: Vancouver is where we lived before and we loved it. I've been right across Canada from Victoria to Montreal and Vancouver is definitely the place!

Thanks again for the help *goes and reads up on categories again*
Old Sep 11th 2011, 9:05 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not too worried (yet) about this year's quota for 1122 being full as I'm fully expecting this process to take 2 or 3 years.
Also be aware that this category may not be on the list in 2 or 3 years. The list changes.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 9:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a question of timing, it's a question of whether or not it will still be on the list next year at all. But that's if you qualify under it in the first place of course, have you checked the duties etc to make sure you do?

And christmasoompa it does have to be BC: Vancouver is where we lived before and we loved it. I've been right across Canada from Victoria to Montreal and Vancouver is definitely the place!
Ah, ok. Just that there are a couple of provinces that are much easier to get in to and where you wouldn't require a job offer to immigrate to, but if it has to be BC then unless you do come under 1122, you'd need a job offer approved by HRSDC to immigrate.

HTH, good luck.