Wikiposts

Starting NS PNP

Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

joyousjoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting NS PNP

Hi all,

I'm a nurse, married with 2 children and am hoping for PNP in Nova Scotia. Just totally baffled on how to start it all off? Please can someone point me in the right direction so no more time is wasted?

Cheers JJ
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting NS PNP

Originally Posted by joyousjoy
Hi all,

I'm a nurse, married with 2 children and am hoping for PNP in Nova Scotia. Just totally baffled on how to start it all off? Please can someone point me in the right direction so no more time is wasted?

Cheers JJ
Here you go, this is the website you need - http://novascotiaimmigration.ca/ Which stream are you planning on applying under? There are lots that have gone via the NS PNP, so a quick search of the forum for your stream should reveal some useful info as well.

Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you!

Have been looking and researching for a while - but its all so baffling!

Will have a peek now.

Thanks again
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!

Have been looking and researching for a while - but its all so baffling!

Will have a peek now.

Thanks again
Yes, I did notice from your earlier threads that you've been researching this for the past 3 years or so! What is it you're not understanding? Maybe we can try and help clarify it for you if you haven't understood the info you've been given previously.

Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

so am i reading this right (and please dont slate me if I'm being dense lol) I have get an employer before I can go via skilled worker (if my occupation is on the list, that is)? OMG how do you get one from the UK lol - what a mare!
Yes, that's right for that particular stream. But presumably you are aware that nurses are on the list for Federal Skilled Worker program, and you don't need a job offer for that? So that may be a much easier option for you.

If you do want to try getting a job offer in NS, then read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki which will tell you how to go about it. Plenty of forum members have managed to find a job offer - very few are lucky enough to have experience in a job on the list of 29 eligible occupations for FSW, so most need a job offer to get a visa anyway.

There is also the CIS, which I think was mentioned to you on your last thread, but presumably you've researched and discounted that for some reason, so it may be better to focus on FSW.

Don't forget to look in to what you'll need to do to work as a nurse in Canada (head to the nursing forum and read the Wiki article about nursing as well), and to check that you can work in NS - not sure if you are degree or diploma trained, but if the latter I know not all provinces accept diploma trained nurses.

Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

We've dabbled with the idea for such a long time (lol) but I've finally got 2 years nurse training and feel the time is right to start lol.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

We've dabbled with the idea for such a long time (lol) but I've finally got 2 years nurse training and feel the time is right to start lol.
OK, so you just need to figure out which visa route would be best for you.

Another thing I should mention is that I notice from your past threads that you wanted to sponsor your mother-in-law once you get settled in Canada, but you should be aware that since you last asked processing times for parental sponsorship have risen a lot - figure about 12 years by the time you are eligible to sponsor her unfortunately. Just something else to consider as she may need to qualify for a visa on her own merits if you want her with you sooner.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

the mother-in-law isn't coming with us - well I hope not cos I need a break (lol). Shes not up for it so its just my little family and dog x
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

According to the CIC the nursing cap is reached until June 2012 so I can only apply if I have a job
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

According to the CIC the nursing cap is reached until June 2012 so I can only apply if I have a job
It is, but by the time you've booked your IELTS (probably December/Jan at the earliest), waited for the results, completed the forms, gathered all of your other paperwork (police checks, educational certs, proof of funds, employment references etc), it won't be long after that that the cap reopens.

You could try and find a job in the meantime, but by the time you've found an employer prepared to go through the paperwork/hassle/wait of the LMO application or a PNP nomination, that's going to take at least six months anyway probably. Plus you'd have to go over on a TWP, which is probably not ideal with kids - the security of PR would be better if you can get it.

Your call, but personally I'd just get everything ready for a FSW application next July and keep your fingers crossed that nurses stay on the list.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:24 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Can you not come to NS on the Community Identified stream? I assume that as the cap has been reached for nurses and there is a long wait that you could actually qualify under CI. I am sure someone that knows for sure would have a comment on this
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Can you not come to NS on the Community Identified stream? I assume that as the cap has been reached for nurses and there is a long wait that you could actually qualify under CI. I am sure someone that knows for sure would have a comment on this
Yep, I mentioned that above, but it was suggested in the OP's last thread, back in May - as they've not mentioned it I assume they have discounted it for some reason.

Unless they've already visited a couple of times and got the requisite 'community ties' I'm not sure it would be any quicker than FSW though - a couple of holidays before applying would presumably take them to the middle of 2012 anyway. But it's an option worth looking at, definitely.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:33 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yep, I mentioned that above, but it was suggested in the OP's last thread, back in May - as they've not mentioned it I assume they have discounted it for some reason.

Unless they've already visited a couple of times and got the requisite 'community ties' I'm not sure it would be any quicker than FSW though - a couple of holidays before applying would presumably take them to the middle of 2012 anyway. But it's an option worth looking at, definitely.
I think its a nicer route if you want to live here as it seems to flow through, theres someone you can talk to when your pack is at the NS nomination stage and if you want to be here then to me, coming here to check it out can only help. And if your checking it out has to include meeting RDA, potential employers or at least some contacts who can advise on working in your field in the province and building a support network too at the same time, to me that can only help your move be successful.

Thats just my view, of course
Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

We havent included cis as we were aren't sure if we can afford a reccie - depends on house sale hence my no comment l.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Joyousjoy

Have you contacted the Nurse Regulating board for NS?
You will need to have your qualifications ratified and will also need to sit the CRNE (Canadian Registered Nurse Exam).
That can be a lengthy process, specially if you have to take extra courses etc.
Check out previous posts on Nurses registering to work in Canada.
Good luck and hope it all works out well for you

M J

Last edited by Mad Jockette; Oct 19th 2011 at 11:46 pm. Reason: more info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.