start to finish

Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

DannyCane has a brilliant futureDannyCane has a brilliant futureDannyCane has a brilliant futureDannyCane has a brilliant futureDannyCane has a brilliant futureDannyCane has a brilliant futureDannyCane has a brilliant future
Default start to finish

I am confused - again.

I look on some websites which say that it might take between 31 to 39 months to have a PR application finalized through London. Then I read that it can take up to 5 years!

Is that up to 5 years for applications that are being made now, or does that also go for applications made in March '06?

How can anybody find out how long (approx.) the whole thing wil take?

Also, what about the age factor in all this? If it really takes that long for an application to go through, how would it affect an application where the main applicant was 48 when the application was made, but has turned 50 by the time the application should go through?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: start to finish

Originally Posted by DannyCane
I am confused - again.

I look on some websites which say that it might take between 31 to 39 months to have a PR application finalized through London. Then I read that it can take up to 5 years!

Is that up to 5 years for applications that are being made now, or does that also go for applications made in March '06?

Also, what about the age factor in all this? If it really takes that long for an application to go through, how would it affect an application where the main applicant was 48 when the application was made, but has turned 50 by the time the application should go through?
Hi Dannycane

When you send in your application you get an acknowledgement of receipt or AOR letter. In this letter it wil probably say something like "Don't expect to hear anything from CIC for ......months". This is based on the volume of applications already in the system at the time yours was received and is their estimate of how long you may have to wait. In a lot of the cases they try to bring it in before this date, but your application will be looked at in the order it was received.
The queue sometimes gets a bit out of sync, usually because you get a 90 day letter to update your documents and some people dont get the letter or don't update them on time. They don't stop the processing asking others waiting to update. So if you forget to update within the 90 days for whatever reason, others may seem to overtake you even though their dates may be after yours.

Then you are sent for medicals but if something needs further investigation from that medical, then it may need to be done again or further tests ordered....all this adds to the time in processing. There is also the expedition of those applicants who have a job waiting for them....they jump the queue. Then there is the quota of immigrants which Canada think are allowable without putting too much strain on public services and that is a worldwide quota, which is then divided between all the visa processing offices around the world.

We have an AOR of 30 Jan 06 when we were told that we wouldnt hear for approx 36 months.....I presume that March 06 will be similar or a bit more.

The age factor does not come into it, as once your application is accepted, the clock stops at the age you submitted it. After all it is not your fault that it takes them 3 years or more to deal with it. What you need to be aware of is that if they change the points requirement, then you may be rejected even if you are already in the system as it can be applied retroactively.

So my advice is to get on with your life and save as much as you can and hope the ride does not get bumpy along the way.

This is pretty much how we see it....others may tell you differently, so please realise anything I tell you is my opinion having been in the system for more than 2 years now.
All the very best
Stef and Lins
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I am confused - again.

From what our regular immigration expert Andrew Miller says and from the evidence of people on here, it's taking at least 5 years now to process SW PR applications, just because of the huge amount of applications. And that time is predicted to rise apparently. There are ways of fasttracking it though such as finding a job etc - have a look at the Wiki for details. The reason other websites give lower estimations is because they will be going on the average time and that will include fasttracked applications from people that already have jobs over there - i.e. somebody without a job will take a min of 5 years but somebody with a job will only take a few months, so the average is somewhere inbetween and that's what they're quoting.

As for the age question, I'm pretty sure that it will be 'locked in' from the time of application, so it should be processed as if you were 48. But I'm not 100% sure so do check, have a hunt through the Wiki or do a search and you should find you question answered.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

DannyCane has a brilliant futureDannyCane has a brilliant futureDannyCane has a brilliant futureDannyCane has a brilliant futureDannyCane has a brilliant futureDannyCane has a brilliant futureDannyCane has a brilliant future

Thank you so much for the info, lins and Stef McLachlan and christmasoompa.

Up until now we have managed to wait alright. It's just lately that it has become very frustrating, especially as one of my colleagues got their PR, and doesn't even want to go to Canada yet. And they only applied a few months before us.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

GandA is an unknown quantity at this point

I am confused - again.

When we sent in our application, we got our AOR letter which said "don't expect to hear from us for 30 months"...this was in July 05. We really didn't think it would take this long but we got on with our life and tried not to think about it too much. Then in Oct 07 we got our medical requests and this month got our COPRs - so the whole process did indeed take 31 months. If it helps we were both in our 40s when we applied.

All the best with your application
GandA
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GandA
When we sent in our application, we got our AOR letter which said "don't expect to hear from us for 30 months"...this was in July 05. We really didn't think it would take this long but we got on with our life and tried not to think about it too much. Then in Oct 07 we got our medical requests and this month got our COPRs - so the whole process did indeed take 31 months. If it helps we were both in our 40s when we applied.

All the best with your application
GandA
Congratulation in getting your COPR's. Where will you be moving to?

I am still hoping that we get there a little quicker with the help of the job offer my OH has.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

GandA is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulation in getting your COPR's. Where will you be moving to?

I am still hoping that we get there a little quicker with the help of the job offer my OH has.
Thanks
We are hoping to move to Toronto, but it will depend very much on where we get jobs - so whoever gets the job first - that's where we'll end up! At the moment, we are desperately cleaning our house so we can put it on the market with a view to move early autumn. Also it would be good to have at least one of us with a job before we go - so that is the next step after selling the house. I must admit, having taken such a long time to process our application, we are still quite stunned to receive our COPRs - after hearing nothing for ages, everything has happened very quickly in the last few months, and we are panicking with the amount we need to do before we can move. I'm really hoping to get lots of advice from this site which we discovered only recently.

From my understanding of reading the various postings here, having a job offer does help speeden things up - so you may well jump the queue.
All the best.
GandA