Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Start a canadian company on IEC, and use it as skilled experience for express entry?

Start a canadian company on IEC, and use it as skilled experience for express entry?

Old Dec 20th 2016, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

jirish82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Start a canadian company on IEC, and use it as skilled experience for express entry?

Hi All,

I have an IEC working holiday visa, and plan to move to Canada in the first few months of the new year. With a view to getting skilled work, and using my 2 years of IEC Canada skilled work experience to bump up my points score for permanent residency via skilled worker express entry.

My company in the UK has a lot of software engineering work at the moment, and until I find work in Canada I was thinking of starting software company in Canada, and have the UK company contract my Canadian company instead of me directly, and then just put myself on the payroll of the Canadian company.

I can't see a problem with setting up a company and doing this, as seems all I need is to be present in the country to incorporate there, my main concern is will I be allowed to use work experience from a company I own as skill points towards express entry?

Any advice would be welcome
Old Dec 20th 2016, 10:28 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Start a canadian company on IEC, and use it as skilled experience for express ent

Starting up and shutting down a corporation is not cheap (to get it right0. If you have to leave at the end of 2 years, it could get complicated.

Why do you want to incorporate rather than operate as a proprietorship?

http://canadabusiness.ca/starting/before-starting-your-business/corporation-partnership-or-sole-proprietorship/#toc-corporations

http://smallbusinessbc.ca/article/do...a-business-bc/

Would you need a provincial incorporation, or federal.

If you own 100% of the shares in a Company or are a proprietorship, CIC may well not view it any differently. It could still be deemed self employed.

Last edited by Aviator; Dec 20th 2016 at 10:36 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2016, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

jirish82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Start a canadian company on IEC, and use it as skilled experience for express ent

Thanks for the reply. I'll need to look into what would be the best option out of provincial/federal/proprietorship. I assume CIC viewing it as self employed would be worst case scenario, but would that mean not allowed to use as Canadian work experience, or would I just need to provide proof from clients as there actually having been work done?

I suppose even if they just require proof of work being done, they might like that it's only been paid for by a foreign country.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...oyment-858094/

This may help, note that if you are working in a licensed field (such as software engineering or consultancy work) you will need to be licensed by the provincial authority and depending on that province may need a permit to practice.

Last edited by Engineer_abroad; Dec 21st 2016 at 2:10 pm.