spronsoring a spouse

Old Feb 1st 2010, 6:35 am
Just Joined

kmn22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question spronsoring a spouse

Can anyone offer any advice....
I am on a bunac working visa at the moment which expires middle of sept 2010.
Does anyone know the current processing time for sponsoring a spouse? Ive heard that its 6 months just to get to stage 1. But when we reach stage 1 does that mean that i can still work or do i have to give up work until the final stage has been approved?
Im so confused with the whole process as the CIC website says that applications take 56 days for the initial stage and its virtually impossible to get through to speak to a person rather than a machine!
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:08 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spronsoring a spouse

Hi

Originally Posted by kmn22
Can anyone offer any advice....
I am on a bunac working visa at the moment which expires middle of sept 2010.
Does anyone know the current processing time for sponsoring a spouse? Ive heard that its 6 months just to get to stage 1. But when we reach stage 1 does that mean that i can still work or do i have to give up work until the final stage has been approved?
Im so confused with the whole process as the CIC website says that applications take 56 days for the initial stage and its virtually impossible to get through to speak to a person rather than a machine!
1. You have two choices, while remaining in Canada, you can do an "in-Canada" application where the sponsorship and application are sent to Vegreville. Approval in Principle stage presently is 6 months. If you send an open work permit with application, and your application is approved, then you would be allowed to work. Depending on the local office that the application is referred to, you wait for "landing" the time varies, Calgary, Mississauga and Etobicoke, you really wait. Once your Bunac expires, you work is over.
2. There is the "out of Canada" , as long as you maintain visitor status, you can remain in Canada while the application is processed outside Canada. The application and sponsorship are sent to Mississauga, and approval/refusal of the sponsorship takes 36 days. The application is sent to the overseas office, and if you are a UK citizen/resident the processing for 80% of spousal applications is 2-8 months. You won't be able to work until you receive your PR and "land" after your Bunac expires. If there is an interview required it would be in London.