Spouse working right

Old Feb 10th 2009, 1:54 am
Just Joined

frodon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse working right

Hi all,

It is my first post on BritishExpats, I guess it has to happen one day after having spent 16 months reading the forum

We have applied for an permanent Australian visa quite a while ago, but due to the complete uncertainty when my type of Visa will be process, we are looking at setting up a Plan B and a plan C.... Namely New-Zealand & Canada.

I'm lucky enough to have my profession on the Canadian list to apply for a permanent skilled worker visa, but I do have a question related to my defacto spouse.

Will she be able to have full working right in Canada as my dependent on the Visa ?

I looked at the CIC website but I could not find this information. If you know where it is, could you please send me the link ?

Thank you all for your answers.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

Ron Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really nice
Default Re: Spouse working right

Not to worry. If you have lived together for at least one year, then she goes on the application as your common-law partner with you as the principal applicant. If the application is successful, you both obtain permanent residence visas

I am not sure that what you are looking for is anywhere on the CIC website. Remember that what is on the CIC website is not definitive anyway: the website has to be updated frequently, and sometimes therefore it is out-of-date, or even wrong.

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms may be what you are looking for (see e,g, http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/#circulation)

Section 6(2) states:
"Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right

a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and
b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province. "
Old Feb 10th 2009, 3:04 am
Just Joined

frodon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spouse working right

Thank you Ron. Much appreciated.