Wikiposts

Spouse work visa

Old Aug 14th 2010, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

starchief is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse work visa

Hi everyone

Currently considering returning to either the UK or Canada (dual citizenship) from my current base in Africa. The UK seems to have a relatively straightforward process where my wife comes over and can settle and work on a spouse visa.

Canada seems slightly more difficult in that, from what I can see, she can come over on a spouse visa but is not allowed to work. She's a geology lecturer (PhD - loads of work experience), so, in an oil/mining rich country like Canada, that would have to be an asset, yet it doesn't appear to be in demand enough to get an skilled worker visa without a job offer.

So, from what I understand, I have to sponsor her (i.e. no work for her - not something either of us wants) for three years 'til she becomes PR, or get an employer to sponsor her for a work visa (which may or may not be difficult but certainly a bit riskier than the UK method - I've no idea how an employer would react to having to go through all that).

Have I missed anything here, or is it really that complex?

If so, anyone have any opinion on how tough would it be to get an employer to sponsor her? We're thinking geologist in Calgary.

Thanks.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 2:18 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse work visa

I'm pretty certain that sponsorship for spouses doesn't takevthree years

You may be confusing the fact that you will have to agree to support your spouse financially for three years IE welfare benefits etc

Spousal sponsorship is one of the quickest and easiest routes into Canada

The wiki has a lot of info on this and there are a lot of people here who have gone down this route
Old Aug 14th 2010, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really nice

Originally Posted by starchief
Hi everyone

Currently considering returning to either the UK or Canada (dual citizenship) from my current base in Africa. The UK seems to have a relatively straightforward process where my wife comes over and can settle and work on a spouse visa.

Canada seems slightly more difficult in that, from what I can see, she can come over on a spouse visa but is not allowed to work. She's a geology lecturer (PhD - loads of work experience), so, in an oil/mining rich country like Canada, that would have to be an asset, yet it doesn't appear to be in demand enough to get an skilled worker visa without a job offer.

So, from what I understand, I have to sponsor her (i.e. no work for her - not something either of us wants) for three years 'til she becomes PR, or get an employer to sponsor her for a work visa (which may or may not be difficult but certainly a bit riskier than the UK method - I've no idea how an employer would react to having to go through all that).

Have I missed anything here, or is it really that complex?

If so, anyone have any opinion on how tough would it be to get an employer to sponsor her? We're thinking geologist in Calgary.

Thanks.
I think you really need to read the wiki on spousal sponsorship.
You don't have to sponsor her for three years without her working, you are responsible for her financially for three years but that doesn't stop her from working.
You didn't mention where she is from but as a Brit it took me 3 months to get PR (my husband is Canadian) and as soon as I have my visa back and have 'landed' I will be looking for a job!
You will need to prove your intent to return to Canada however, we didn't have to do that obviously but you will. Other people will be along to advise you on that aspect I'm sure.
Getting your wife spousal PR really isn't as complicated as you think it is!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Ah, I see! That makes it a lot clearer. Thanks. I thought it was you were allowed to stay for the three years with a sponsor, then at the end of that, you became a PR with a right to work. I think I might be getting PR and citizenship confused.

She's Egyptian, so the processing times are only just above UK times. My intention is actually to go over for a year before my wife joins me: partly to get settled in, partly as my wife won't be leaving until the end of the academic year, so hopefully that will be the "intent to return to Canada" taken care of (if not, let me know).

Thanks again.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 9:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If you're a UKC, then can't you apply via London? That way she'd have PR within approx 2-4 months going on recent timelines.

Plus you could apply for that now so that you don't have to be seperated, and can just move to Canada together, her as a PR.

Old Aug 14th 2010, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

We're both pretty cautious people, so we actually prefer if I get established in Canada before she joins me. On my own, I've got a lot more freedom on where I live, for instance, so am quite happy to just rent a room before sussing out a more permanent place for when she comes over.

She's also in a contract, as well as feeling a duty to her students, so leaving at the end of the academic year suits us both fine. So applying around 6 months beforehand would probably give her the visa in that time from Cairo, whilst allowing her to finish her work duties over here, all nicely set up for a no rush, settled life abroad.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 1:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by starchief
We're both pretty cautious people, so we actually prefer if I get established in Canada before she joins me. On my own, I've got a lot more freedom on where I live, for instance, so am quite happy to just rent a room before sussing out a more permanent place for when she comes over.

She's also in a contract, as well as feeling a duty to her students, so leaving at the end of the academic year suits us both fine. So applying around 6 months beforehand would probably give her the visa in that time from Cairo, whilst allowing her to finish her work duties over here, all nicely set up for a no rush, settled life abroad.
You can still apply for her PR now though (and that would work with being cautious, rather than risk her being refused once you're already there!). Then once she's got PR, she'd have several years before actually having to move to Canada to be with you.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Thanks. Brilliant advice. Now just got to finally decide on UK or Canada.