Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spouse visa - Initial Entry and Return

Spouse visa - Initial Entry and Return

Old Oct 23rd 2020, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spouse visa - Initial Entry and Return

My Canadian wife and I have been preparing to move permanently back to Canada which was originally planned for the end of this year, but various things have pushed that back a year or two.

The applying part isn't going to be an issue, but how long after a successful application does one have to enter Canada initially, and is there a time limit to complete the move after first entry?

We'd be moving in with the wife's oldest son and family (free babysitting freely given), and other than visits, would be looking at a two-week visit after the visa is issued (to do the initial entry) then return to the UK for two or three months to finish up things here and visit family members before leaving.

I realise I'm getting ahead of myself here, the application takes as long as it takes. Thanks.
Old Oct 24th 2020, 1:20 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse visa - Initial Entry and Return

You will need to enter Canada within 1 year of your medical expiring -or the date of the COPR expiring, whichever is sooner. Once you have 'soft landed' you can return to the UK, for as long as you need to.. do be aware that your sponsor will be required to show proof of intent to return to Canada to live.. just make sure not to put a specific date down, a generic 'plan of action' will usually be sufficient.
Our Wiki sections explain most of it
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...sorship-Canada
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...lication_Forms
Old Oct 24th 2020, 6:27 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You will need to enter Canada within 1 year of your medical expiring -or the date of the COPR expiring, whichever is sooner. Once you have 'soft landed' you can return to the UK, for as long as you need to.. do be aware that your sponsor will be required to show proof of intent to return to Canada to live.. just make sure not to put a specific date down, a generic 'plan of action' will usually be sufficient.
Our Wiki sections explain most of it
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...sorship-Canada
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...lication_Forms
Thanks Siouxie.. Very much appreciated.
Old Oct 24th 2020, 5:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Dave, just checking, but when you lived in Canada previously, was that with PR or on another kind of visa? Apologies, but I can't recall.
Old Oct 24th 2020, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Dave, just checking, but when you lived in Canada previously, was that with PR or on another kind of visa? Apologies, but I can't recall.
We applied for the spousal route but didn't complete it as my ex-wife refused to allow our kids to have immigration medicals, even though the letter to her from CIC clearly stated that the kids were not on the application. At the time, children under 23? required medicals, but my youngest has aged out of that now....

So, because of that, I had to leave Canada. I've had no problem going back as a visitor since, though..