Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spouse visa evidence of relationship

Spouse visa evidence of relationship

Old Jul 2nd 2014, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

tweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spouse visa evidence of relationship

I am putting together the evidence to submit with my application (spouse visa, out of Canada route). My wife and I have neer been fortunate enough to live together before but we met in 2008 and have remained in contact ever since. We married in June this year.

I am wondering what sort of evidence I should include?

I have wedding photos, honeymoon accommodations receipt, evidence of many travels together, photos (not many, but taken over a long period of time), evidence of valentines day roses (can only find evidence for 2014) and some birthday gifts sent, pictures of my wife with members of my family and vice versa, copies of cards from wedding. I will also ask mother in law to do a letter attesting to our relationship. Will one letter be enough?

My wife and I communicate by FB chat. I know we need to prove that we are in contact but I'm not keen on sending all of the messgaes in archive - they are personal to us and we do discuss the visa process and call CIC a bunch of useless pr***s from time to time. I have done a screengrab which shows hat there are 90,000 messages saved and want to produce that as evidence. Will it do? We do not use skype or phone so there is really no further evidence of daily contact.

Also, wife applied for job in the UK and didn't get it. Is that good evidence, or does it cloud the issue?

Thanks
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 1:53 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse visa evidence of relationship

Originally Posted by tweed_wearer
I am putting together the evidence to submit with my application (spouse visa, out of Canada route). My wife and I have neer been fortunate enough to live together before but we met in 2008 and have remained in contact ever since. We married in June this year.

I am wondering what sort of evidence I should include?

I have wedding photos, honeymoon accommodations receipt, evidence of many travels together, photos (not many, but taken over a long period of time), evidence of valentines day roses (can only find evidence for 2014) and some birthday gifts sent, pictures of my wife with members of my family and vice versa, copies of cards from wedding. I will also ask mother in law to do a letter attesting to our relationship. Will one letter be enough?

My wife and I communicate by FB chat. I know we need to prove that we are in contact but I'm not keen on sending all of the messgaes in archive - they are personal to us and we do discuss the visa process and call CIC a bunch of useless pr***s from time to time. I have done a screengrab which shows hat there are 90,000 messages saved and want to produce that as evidence. Will it do? We do not use skype or phone so there is really no further evidence of daily contact.

Also, wife applied for job in the UK and didn't get it. Is that good evidence, or does it cloud the issue?

Thanks
Hello!

All your evidence sounds reasonable. It would also be good to include more "official" stuff, if you have it. Do you have her named as your next of kin for insurance/benefits? Is she the primary beneficiary of your life insurance, if you have it? Those would be good to include, and anything else you can think of that's more "official" in nature. Your unofficial stuff all sounds reasonable to me. The pictures with family members are especially important.

In terms of your communication, the screenshot showing 90k (!) messages is probably fine. If it were me, I would also just include a random sample of communication - don't show full bits or bits that are personal or that you don't want to share, but more like just a dotting of communication over a period of time. Maybe just one screenshot from every month, so they can see that it's "ongoing", without giving away too much personal stuff. It would be good to show SOME personal affection etc in the correspondence, but isn't strictly required. You can just put at the beginning "Wife and I use Facebook Chat to communicate. As yuo can see, there are about 90,000 messages between us. I have included random screenshots between x and y to show that the communication has been continuous."

When you do the bit that says "explain the development of your relationship" or whichever question it is (can't remember offhand), just make sure that you explain the development of your relationship in detail. I will be honest, there will be a flag that you have never lived together and appear to have spent limited time together in person. It's not going to discount you, but likely will result in your application being scrutinized a bit more closely. So just be honest, and make sure you are thorough. Which it sounds like you are.

Do you guys speak on the phone at all? If so include copies of some phone bills and such. (For this one, for me, I printed out 8 phone bills over 2 years and highlighted the phone number that was my husband's... just went to show the ongoing communication, but I didn't include every single phone bill, just 8 out of 24, every 3 months.)

I'm not sure about applying for the job in the UK - I'm assuming one of you is Canadian and one of you is British? Expand on this one a bit further, as I'm not 100% sure about it!

Hope that helps!