SPOUSE VISA

Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:55 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SPOUSE VISA

Fridgedesign, I'm with Canadian Tash - My husband has four British born grandparents, which, following a lot of who-ha, helped with him being granted permanent leave to remain in the UK. The getting a UK passport bit was however beyond us. He had to live there permanently, I believe and pay tax in the UK permanently, and due to him being an overseas airline pilot, this just never panned out, so we abandoned the idea. This was a few years ago, and I don't know, but suspect, that the process has probably become no easier.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 5:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fridgedesign
When we get married will my Canadian wife be able to apply for a UK Passport too?
Not unless she has a claim to UK citizenship - you won't be getting a Canadian passport yet either though! You'll get Permanent Residency status, and you'll need to have lived as a PR in Canada for 3 years before you can apply for citizenship (and therefore get your passport).

Presumably the same sort of rules apply for your wife, she'll need to have lived in the UK for a certain amount of time with ILR before she could apply for UKC.

Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

fridgedesign is an unknown quantity at this point

But with about a work VISA? I guess she'll have to apply for that too??
Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fridgedesign
But with about a work VISA? I guess she'll have to apply for that too??
I've no idea, I know pretty much nothing about UK visas - you'll need to do some research on the relevant UK authority website.

Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianTash is an unknown quantity at this point

So here is the process I went through upon getting married and moving to the Uk once married I applied for a Spouse's Visa which lasted two years at that point I had to take a Life in the UK test, and pass once passed(you need this to apply for leave to remain) at the two year expiry I had to apply for leave to remain in the Uk which lasts forever if you want it to, however if you leave the country for a certain amount of time (i'm unsure how long details are on the UK visa website). Now after being in the UK for three years I am able to apply for I am able to apply for UK citizenship, which I will do in a few months.Hope that helps but the UK visa website is really helpful.