SPOUSE VISA

Old Aug 10th 2011, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

fridgedesign is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SPOUSE VISA

Hi

I'm from the UK and have been waiting for my FSW VISA for around 2 years now with no joy so far. BUT, my a my girlfriend have been talking and we're now ready to get married - I proposed last week!

We're looking at getting married in the UK in September this year. Then I would have to apply for a Spouse VISA which looking at the timelines say it will take up to 8 months to issue. Another wait!

My question is, would I be able to move to Canada whilst this VISA is going through and would I be able to work?

Any other information would be gratefully received... Thanks
Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:11 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SPOUSE VISA

You could move to Canada on a (up to a) 6 month visitor visa (which is also possibe to extend for another 6 months) whilst you wait for pr but you cannot work.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Will the VISA take 8 months as they say or will they drag it out like the 2 years I've been waiting for a FSW VISA?
Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:56 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

If I had a crystal ball i'd let you know!!!!!

Seriously if it's a straightforward case there's no reason why it shouldn't - however do be aware that those timelines are for 80% of the cases.

If you miss any paperwork, don't pay the RPRF upfront, have issues getting police checks / medicals etc - then it will stretch it out some, and then you will be in the realms of the other 20% which will take longer.

A few months back the average time to ppr seemed to be 3 - 4 months (from the timelines posted on here) - they have started to extend.

All that said I don't remember a spousal pr app taking 2 years unless there have been some serious issues / mistakes etc.

These are the apps that have been submitted outland by the way, which yours I presume will be.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

IIRC you don't have to be married to qualify as a spouse.... Have you been living together for over a year? you may qualify as a spouse already.... At least it would save you a month or so....

Just an idea, dont take my word as gospel on this one!
Old Aug 10th 2011, 9:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fridgedesign
Then I would have to apply for a Spouse VISA which looking at the timelines say it will take up to 8 months to issue. Another wait!
Why would you *have* to apply for a spouse visa? You don't have to at all, you can just wait for PR from your current application if you wish.

But as pp's have said, if you've lived together for a year or more than you can apply for spousal sponsorship anyway (assuming your gf is a Canadian citizen of course - you haven't actually said, but I'm guessing so!) and don't need to wait until you are married. Then it's your choice as to whether you apply for PR as a spouse, or wait for your current application.

Good luck, and congrats on the wedding!
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Why would you *have* to apply for a spouse visa? You don't have to at all, you can just wait for PR from your current application if you wish.

But as pp's have said, if you've lived together for a year or more than you can apply for spousal sponsorship anyway (assuming your gf is a Canadian citizen of course - you haven't actually said, but I'm guessing so!) and don't need to wait until you are married. Then it's your choice as to whether you apply for PR as a spouse, or wait for your current application.

Good luck, and congrats on the wedding!
I obviously don't have to apply for a Spouse VISA but what with the FSW application taking almost 2 years now and with no sign of any movement it would seem better to apply the Spouse route than risk waiting. I went into 'PROCESSING' in Feb and still haven't got anything and with the standard reply from them stating 'Your application is in process or waiting to be reviewed by an immigration officer. No further action is required by you at this time.'... hmmm HAS BEEN FOR 7 MONTHS NOW!!!! ARRGGGHH!

My fiancee is a Canadian citizen. The problem is with the 'living together for a year' is that we haven't. We've been together 3 years now but its been long distance as I work in Switzerland. But spend 6 months with her a year. I know, it sounds crazy but its worked out and we're very happy. I guess because of this we can't go that route...????????

Last edited by fridgedesign; Aug 11th 2011 at 1:09 am.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 10:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

My fiancee is a Canadian citizen. The problem is with the 'living together for a year' is that we haven't. We've been together 3 years now but its been long distance as I work in Switzerland. But spend 6 months with her a year. I know, it sounds crazy but its worked out and we're very happy. I guess because of this we can't go that route...????????
No, you're right, you couldn't apply until you are actually married if you haven't been living together.

So you have the choice of waiting for your FSW application, or reapplying as a spouse. Depends if you are happy to just loose the fees for the FSW application maybe?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Do you know how much the fees are for a SPOUSE VISA?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 1:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Do you know how much the fees are for a SPOUSE VISA?
Not off the top of my head, but you can easily look it up on the CIC website. Seem to recall it's about the same as you've already paid for your FSW application, something like a $75 fee for the sponsor plus a $475 fee for you.

You'd also have to have the medical done before you send in your spousal sponsorship application, so you'd need to add £300 or so on to that, plus the cost of more police checks etc.

It'll probably be about the same cost as your FSW application, and you'll just have to figure out if you are prepared to pay twice or not to possibly get there a bit quicker.

Old Aug 11th 2011, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

and I guess you can't transfer the application across?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 2:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

and I guess you can't transfer the application across?
Nope, afraid not. You'd have to cancel your FSW application (forfeiting the fees you've paid, no refund as they've already started processing) and apply again.

Alternatively, as you wouldn't get your fees back anyway, you could just do a spousal sponsorship application as well and see which gets you PR first maybe?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

So i can run 2 applications at once?
Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

When we get married will my Canadian wife be able to apply for a UK Passport too?
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianTash is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there, I have quite alot of experience with the Canadian in the UK side of things, and I will tell you that it isn't as easy as your future wife getting a UK Passport, I have been married for 3 years and am just now getting to the time where I can apply for my citizenship in the UK. It has/is quite a drawn out process, just to get my PR visa here in the Uk I had to take a test to see how much I knew about the UK. Which is a step you only do in Canada when you apply for citizenship. And now we are gonna start it all up for my British husband to move to Canada, however I must say will be worth it all in the end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.