Wikiposts

Spouse student visa

Old Mar 6th 2002, 7:05 pm
Henna Kapoor

Default Spouse student visa

Hi My spouse has got an admission in a university in Canada. Before we met, I had
already applied for a PR application - that has not come through yet. Can I apply for
a spousal visa? Does the fact that I have applied for a PR application create problem
for spousal visa for a student

Thanks

Old Mar 7th 2002, 4:05 am
David Cohen

Default Re: Spouse student visa

In article <[email protected] >,
[email protected] says...
    > Hi My spouse has got an admission in a university in Canada. Before we met, I had
    > already applied for a PR application - that has not come through yet. Can I apply
    > for a spousal visa? Does the fact that I have applied for a PR application create
    > problem for spousal visa for a student

You may apply for admission to Canada as a visitor to accompany your spouse while she
studies. Given the pending PR application, however, it is possible that such an
application would be negatively biased. Such an application, however, would not have
any negative impact on your permanent resident application.
________
CAMPBELL, COHEN - attorneys at law tel:514.937.9445 / fax:514.937.2618
[email protected] http://canadavisa.com

Online Community: http://canadavisa.com/community

Old Mar 7th 2002, 5:07 am
pkjmet

Default Re: Spouse student visa

[email protected] (Henna Kapoor) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Hi My spouse has got an admission in a university in Canada. Before we met, I had
    > already applied for a PR application - that has not come through yet. Can I apply
    > for a spousal visa? Does the fact that I have applied for a PR application create
    > problem for spousal visa for a student
    >
    > Thanks

The answer to the question will dependent if you are in Cnada or not. If you are in
Canada and your husband is in Canada on a SA then you could apply for a Employment
Authorization.

If you are both outside Canada which i suspect is the case you have two problems.
First you have to add your husband to your appliction and second he will have to
indicate that he is married and eventually the Visa Office will figure out what is
going on. My advise would be to stick with the PR application and forget his student
visa. Once you have declared your intention to immigrate the visa office will
consider you a potential immigrant under the general presumption of the Immigration
Act and deny you a visitor visa or student visa for your husband.

Jim Metcalfe , Consultant