Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spouse sponsorship - what are "reasonable plans"?

Spouse sponsorship - what are "reasonable plans"?

Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

ralphster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse sponsorship - what are "reasonable plans"?

I'm looking at the application form for sponsorship of spouse. We currently live in the UK. My wife is Canadian, and my children (born in UK) all have Canadian passports. I am English.

Under the section "Who Can Sponsor", it says that sponsors living outside Canada have to prove evidence that they will live in Canada when their sponsored spouse becomes a PR.

If you can't provide option (i) a letter from an employer or (ii) proof of having a rented/purchased dwelling, it says you need to show "reasonable plans for re-establishing in Canada and severing ties to the other country"

Can anyone tell me what "reasonable plans" have been acceptable. Is this simlpy a covering letter saying your intentions? Or maybe proof that you are letting your only house in the UK? A plane ticket?

Also has anyone travelled to Canada as a visitor whilst waiting for their visa to come through and, when the visa is ready, does the whole family have to leave and return, or just the sponsored spouse?

Thanks!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:12 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse sponsorship - what are "reasonable plans"?

Originally Posted by ralphster
I'm looking at the application form for sponsorship of spouse. We currently live in the UK. My wife is Canadian, and my children (born in UK) all have Canadian passports. I am English.

Under the section "Who Can Sponsor", it says that sponsors living outside Canada have to prove evidence that they will live in Canada when their sponsored spouse becomes a PR.

If you can't provide option (i) a letter from an employer or (ii) proof of having a rented/purchased dwelling, it says you need to show "reasonable plans for re-establishing in Canada and severing ties to the other country"

Can anyone tell me what "reasonable plans" have been acceptable. Is this simlpy a covering letter saying your intentions? Or maybe proof that you are letting your only house in the UK? A plane ticket?

Also has anyone travelled to Canada as a visitor whilst waiting for their visa to come through and, when the visa is ready, does the whole family have to leave and return, or just the sponsored spouse?

Thanks!
Reasonable plans: Yes a covering letter stating that you intend to move and live in Canada upon the success of the application.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

chobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nice

Originally Posted by ralphster

Thanks!
Hi Ralphster and welcome,
I was (and am) in a similar situation to you - I'm British, married to a Canadian and live in the UK (for the moment at least!) ... We have children who have british passports but Canadian citizenship. We've been through the spousal sponsorship application and as you will see from my timeline below, I got my visa last August and landed in March of this year. For the evidence that we intended to relocate to Canada within our application, I sent an accompanying letter with brief details of the areas we were considering moving to and job websites I was intending to use once we had made the move. I also mentioned extended family in Canada and that we intended to move close to them for support etc etc. By their own admission and instruction, they suggest you do not sell your house, quit your job etc etc before your application is ALL approved. So I guess they're not looking for much concrete 'evidence' in your application, just the fact that you know what you intend to do (and where) should your application be approved.

Hope this helps and I'm sure others will be along too to offer their advice. Any further questions please fire away or drop me a PM - happy to help.

Chobert

Last edited by chobert; Jun 14th 2011 at 6:40 pm. Reason: punctuation
Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

We are in the same situation, but I'm the Canadian spouse. My father in Canada wrote a letter stating that we would be living in his house until we purchased a home of our own. And my mother wrote a letter stating that I would be working with her in her shop. As you can see from my signature, this was enough evidence of my intention to resettle in Canada.