Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Permanent residency cards and travel

Permanent residency cards and travel

Old Aug 10th 2018, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

tinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Permanent residency cards and travel

My daughter has been living in the UK doing a nursing degree and decided not to emigrate to Canada when we did but is visiting us the end of next week for 3 weeks. Her residency card does not expire until 18th Decmber 2018. Will she have any problems at the airport in Vancouver coming through immigration. She has never travelled this far on her own so trying to just make sure she know what to say and do.

she will not meet the 730 obligation when she comes.

. I am going to Vanvouver to pick her up so I will be in the airport, if she has any problems, she is 20years old.

Last edited by tinabootes; Aug 10th 2018 at 9:32 pm. Reason: missd something out
Old Aug 10th 2018, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent residency cards and travel

She should be okay boarding the plane: her PR Card is valid. Whether she runs into any issues at YVR depends on what happens at the border with an Officer. But she should be allowed into Canada even if a report is written against her for non compliance with the Residency Obligation. The law says a PR is allowed to enter even if they are later removed. Of course nothing might happen. That's another possibility. How many days has she spent in Canada? Could she still meet the 730 days in the 5 years since she became a PR?

Last edited by Snowy560; Aug 10th 2018 at 11:11 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

tinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks that does make me feel a bit better, she only has about 480 days in Canada so will not make the 730 residency obligation. I have already booked her flight back for the end of September but hoping she will decide to stay in Canada with us and not go back to England. I am wondering if she should not tell them this at Vancouver or do they know at the boarder how many days you have been in Canada.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 5:14 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinabootes
Thanks that does make me feel a bit better, she only has about 480 days in Canada so will not make the 730 residency obligation. I have already booked her flight back for the end of September but hoping she will decide to stay in Canada with us and not go back to England. I am wondering if she should not tell them this at Vancouver or do they know at the boarder how many days you have been in Canada.

Yes, the CBSA officer will be able to see when the last entry was.
If asked, she must be honest with the CBSA officer.

Sadly, she may not be so fortunate next time she wishes to enter Canada, unless she's prepared to remain in Canada until such time as she has met the requirements. Keeping everything crossed for you that she sees the advantage to being in Canada in the long term and decides to at least remain until such time as she can get her Citizenship.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 12th 2018 at 5:19 am.
Old Sep 16th 2018, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Sadly my daughter went back to England, to finish her nursing degree at university.� ����
CBSA officer didn't say anything at the airport to her, just waved her through.
Not sure they will as nice at Xmas when she visits