Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spouse sponsorship - please answer

Spouse sponsorship - please answer

Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

mraycan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse sponsorship - please answer

I've been on the Internet for days...searching and searching...
Yet, no clear answer anywhere...but I got somehow scared that they could deny the visa for my wife. Maybe I'm just paranoid but...it drives me crazy just the idea that me and my wife, who love each other, cannot live together. I just started the sponsorship process. My wife's from Russia, I'm from Canada, we married there on my first visit.
We emailed, phoned 3 months prior to the visit. I do have all those wedding photos, letters, phone bills etc.

--WHEN does the Canadian immigration consider that a marriage is not "real"?
---What would be the percentage of refusal for spouses on the grounds that the relationship is not genuine?(I haven't seen this info anywhere)
---Where do they draw the line between acceptance and refusal?

Some people say the interview for a spouse is just a formality, others say the opposite... don't know what to think anymore.
Any answer or experience are really appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

MarkS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spouse sponsorship - please answer

If your marriage is genuine then why are you so worried?
Old Jul 17th 2004, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Jassy is an unknown quantity at this point

It is understandable what you are going through, but try not to worry so much.
When did you apply? Did you include all proof of your relationship? You guys got married because you love each other and not for other reasons. If you did, immigration can see that.
I never heard from any married couple being turned down by immigration, unless one of you is a criminal or something like that.
If you read the application carefully, you will see that there is a section for arranged marriages. If Canadian immigration approves that, why wouldn't they approve yours.
Just do not worry. You should be getting a sponsorship approval letter soon.
Keep up posted on your case.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 4:29 am
Just Joined

sayaka is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, only 80% of spousal cases are approved. (Wish I could send you the link of where I read that... but it was in some manual I downloaded from the CIC website.)

I've known people who have been turned down (some appealed). Things that seem to raise red flags are: a significant age difference (particularly if it's the woman who is older - so it seems), romances that began on the internet, significant religious differences, if the couple cannot both speak a common language well, a lack of proof that the extended families haven't been around the couple, a friend of mine even had a visa officer complain that they looked more like "friends" in their photos together than people who are in love.

I know some of these reasons may sound ridiculous, but they are a few things that I have heard straight from people who have been denied. Reasons were listed similar to above in CAIPS notes.

Considering your wife is from Russia, they might be concerned that she is part of the mail order bride deal... I know, it's not fair - you say your love is true. It's just a matter of if the proof provided with your application is convincing (my husband and I sent over 300 pages of proof - he has been selected, we are just waiting for his security check to be finished)... also it depends on how well she does in an interview. Her ability to speak English well will be a primary factor right off the bat (unless you speak Russian). The interview is rarely a formality, in my opinion.

Refusals are quite subjective in these cases.

Anyway, good luck.