Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spouse Sponsorship Important Question about form!!

Spouse Sponsorship Important Question about form!!

Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice
Default Re: Spouse Sponsorship Important Question about form!!

Originally Posted by bimchick
On the Sponsorship Evaluation form it asks whether I (as the sponsor) am

A: Unemployed
B: Employed
C: Self-Employed

I am currently unemployed. In fact, we are immigrating because as a non-citizen in my husband's country I cannot work. Citizenship here takes 3-5 years. Whereas he will be able to work (and do far better financially and there's more room for growth) in Canada.

I receive money from my family trust to live on. Can I use the family trust income as a different source of income?? What evidence should I show?

Thanks!
My OH is going to be sponsoring me to BC, as common law partner, while both here in uk. As long as it is just me he is sponsoring he has no obligation to show proof of funds, as long as he has no benefits coming from canada government. You can download the "guidance notes" from the immigration pages of CIC which has this info in it i believe.

Last edited by pip_is_fab; Nov 4th 2008 at 3:32 am. Reason: i cant spell!!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:26 am
Just Joined

mattysan is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah that is an entirely separate issue then

Neither of us believe that we have a god given right to anything. If you chose to interpret the length of her post as being a snub that is your problem and not mine.

What struck me as rude in Judys post was the presumption that she knows Bette what the question should have been, when it is quite evident that we already knew that answer as it was stated in the original post. If Jim thought anyone was less than thankful that would be jims prerogative to voice that. I don't think he needs you to speak for him

In truth jims responses are much appreciated. I feel as though you are over exaggerating the whole servants foolishness that you are talking and any more real discussion of this is moot and has no right to be onthe public forum. If you think that someone is not thankful enough for your liking I would direct you towards the personal message section of the forum and ask you to leave the room in the public space for people who want to add value to the discussion.

Everyone that has contributed actual information or attempted to answer our questions I thank you.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:14 am
Just Joined

fishydish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
The original posters questions were indeed relevant. I said what I said because I was in a huff and answered in haste.
We've all been there at one point or another, I think. I don't find bimchick's response to Jim indicative of any disrespect.

I'm as qualified to post here as anyone else posting on a free forum that doesn't explicitly pay experts to provide educated answers. The nature of these sites is that you don't know who people are and what their experience is, and thus have to take each post at face value. Personas that are around longer gain more credibility, and I admit that it is a pet peeve of mine when this credibility is used to attack a newbie.

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
If a question is posed and you are fortunate enough to get a response from someone that can help, you are lucky - not entitled . . .

Show a bit of respect to those that can help you eh?
There's the sort of arrogance I'm talking about. Respect has to go both ways, not just from newbies to older, established posters. I don't think you can really interpret a newbie as rude just because they aren't satisfactorily obsequious when they are given an answer on a forum set up for that purpose.

But this is neither here nor there. More useful discussion goes on by people less quick to argue.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:34 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishydish
We've all been there at one point or another, I think. I don't find bimchick's response to Jim indicative of any disrespect.

I'm as qualified to post here as anyone else posting on a free forum that doesn't explicitly pay experts to provide educated answers. The nature of these sites is that you don't know who people are and what their experience is, and thus have to take each post at face value. Personas that are around longer gain more credibility, and I admit that it is a pet peeve of mine when this credibility is used to attack a newbie.

There's the sort of arrogance I'm talking about. Respect has to go both ways, not just from newbies to older, established posters. I don't think you can really interpret a newbie as rude just because they aren't satisfactorily obsequious when they are given an answer on a forum set up for that purpose.

But this is neither here nor there. More useful discussion goes on by people less quick to argue.
I'm sorry however I don't quite follow your way of thinking

If you consider my statement of being fortunate to get a response arrogant, then may I suggest you need to learn a lesson in humilty too.

Just because many have been on here a long time does not mean they expect answers either - they are thankful for them when they do. Many of us "established" posters raise questions / concerns that don't get answered, or indeed get answered in a way which may suggest we phrased the question incorrectly.

However to this day I have never seen anyone other than less experienced respond in such an impolite tone. A longer term poster will more than likely reply with an apology for not making their request clear, rephrase the question, and then thank the respondant for the reply.

The lesson here is not arrogance - its manners, cyberspace or not.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

bimchick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pip_is_fab
My OH is going to be sponsoring me to BC, as common law partner, while both here in uk. As long as it is just me he is sponsoring he has no obligation to show proof of funds, as long as he has no benefits coming from canada government. You can download the "guidance notes" from the immigration pages of CIC which has this info in it i believe.
Thanks Pip.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 5:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishydish

With all due respect, the vast majority of people on this forum will support Judy in this. I don't think she was rude, she politely pointed out that Bimchick's lack of gratitude was in itself rude - and I agree with her.

As you are a newbie and clearly unaware, you should know that Judy is, quite frankly, a bit of a 'God' on this forum. Many of us (actually, I suspect all of us) have been on the receiving end of her helpfulness, good advice and genuine all round niceness. She always takes her own time to help newbies wherever possible and answer questions when she can. We are all very grateful for her presence and I don't see anywhere on this thread where she has been rude - unlike you.

As for you being a 'troll', I have no idea. Your posting does seem incredibly similar in words and expressions to the ones posted by Bimchick's husband, so those that are cynical may assume he'd got another account to try and give weight to his argument. But, that would easily be detected by the moderators on this forum and he would be banned for such an action so I'm sure that's not the case.

I shall leave this now as it really has nothing to do with me but I had to defend Judy, particularly as like her, I am a big believer in manners and common courtesy.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

I love it when off-topic arguments start to use long & complicated words....
Old Nov 4th 2008, 5:22 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ramsey
I love it when off-topic arguments start to use long & complicated words....
obsequious It was that one wasn't it
Old Nov 4th 2008, 5:39 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Its time for everyone to say goodbye to this thread and move on.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 8:41 am
Just Joined

mattysan is an unknown quantity at this point

christmasoompa: That should therefore go without saying, yet you have chosen to say it. A scan of the IP log would prove that you are in fact barking up the wrong tree.

Regardless of Judy's status as a "God" on this forum, comments regarding however polite you think someone is belong in a PM and not a public post. I maintain that if Jim took offence he has a god-given right to complain, any other comments should remain in PMs.

This whole thing could easily have been avoided, and I would appreciate it if you would all refrain from hijacking this thread further, as the one or two posts with useful information are quickly being lost.

I am by no means ungrateful for any helpful comments that have been provided by anyone, Judy included, however to jump to a conclusion of rudeness after one post, and then TELL the person who initially posted that they are asking the wrong question... THAT is what I took issue with. As I have already said, the response to Jim's initial post was never intended to be rude or a snub. If he was offended I am happy to apologise to him personally on both of our behalfs, however he has not commented on it and I am sure that he a big enough boy not to require someone else sticking up for him.

Now, I am sure that we are all adults who can drop this silly argument about who was rude to who and hurt whose feelings and get back to our lives. If this is what happens whenever someone doesn't kow-tow to each and every person that offers them the tiniest bit of assistance or advice then i really don't see how this forum functions properly. Come on people. Act like the grown ups we all are and stop this nonsense now.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattysan
i really don't see how this forum functions properly.
Yeh, with all the "poor moderation by unsuitably qualified people" - it's a wonder to me too

Thread closed. If you have any further questions about financial requirements (or lack of), please start a fresh one, this one has gone a little off topic.

Last edited by Biiiiink; Nov 4th 2008 at 9:30 am.