Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spouse Sponsorship Important Question about form!!

Spouse Sponsorship Important Question about form!!

Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

bimchick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse Sponsorship Important Question about form!!

On the Sponsorship Evaluation form it asks whether I (as the sponsor) am

A: Unemployed
B: Employed
C: Self-Employed

I am currently unemployed. In fact, we are immigrating because as a non-citizen in my husband's country I cannot work. Citizenship here takes 3-5 years. Whereas he will be able to work (and do far better financially and there's more room for growth) in Canada.

I receive money from my family trust to live on. Can I use the family trust income as a different source of income?? What evidence should I show?

Thanks!
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 10:37 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse Sponsorship Important Question about form!!

It seems that you have only the one choice - unemployed. It will not really matter to your sponsorship of your common-law spouse.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

That wasn't my question...
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 1:07 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bimchick
That wasn't my question...
In fact, you asked two questions, and neither of them was relevant.

Jim answered the question that you should have asked.

I find your manners towards someone who was trying to help you less than stellar.

In case you hadn't noticed, the people who answer questions on this forum are unpaid volunteers.
x
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 11:40 am
Just Joined

mattysan is an unknown quantity at this point

My own 2 cents...

First off, technically speaking I am not her "common law spouse" as we are married (note the reference to husband). A common law relationship is defined as one in which the couple are not married but simply living together for an extended period of time.

Secondly, by the simple fact of ASKING her question, my wife did NOT ask something irrelevant, nor did she "need to ask something else". The simple fact that she already knew the answer to the question of her unemployed status should have made it plain that this was not a question that needed to be asked.

The point of the question therefore remains unanswered. As my wife is currently unemployed we are trying to find out what kind of "financial support" Immigration Canada normally requires for income, so that we can identify whether or not her non-active income in Canada will qualify by their rules, because as far as we have been able to ascertain from the application forms there is a minimum income requirement so that she can prove that she has sufficient financial resources to "support" me in Canada so that I do not become a drain on society.

This CLEARLY is a valid question which warrants a valid answer, as we have already established her working status.

I would appreciate it if you would refrain from making snooty, pointless remarks, and would have hoped that there was better moderation of these forums by appropriately qualified persons. I understand that you gain nothing monetarily for any assistance that you give people on this forum, and am sure that assistance is very much appreciated by any and all who benefit from it, however that gives you no right to the kind of attitude that you have displayed in this thread.

Thank you and good day.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

The sponsorship application states:

Unemployed:
Give details of your current situation and indicate how you support yourself.

I support myself through a family trust. So I was asking if that was acceptable to immigration.

It states specifically that if you are not found able to support your sponsor FINANCIALLY then you may be rejected as a sponsor. So I beg to differ that my financially situation is irrelevant.

So I asked two questions, and both were relevant, and neither were answered.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 1:39 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

So long as your wife is not receiving welfare payments she can sponsor you. She does not need direct income to do so.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bimchick
On the Sponsorship Evaluation form it asks whether I (as the sponsor) am

A: Unemployed
B: Employed
C: Self-Employed

I am currently unemployed. In fact, we are immigrating because as a non-citizen in my husband's country I cannot work. Citizenship here takes 3-5 years. Whereas he will be able to work (and do far better financially and there's more room for growth) in Canada.

I receive money from my family trust to live on. Can I use the family trust income as a different source of income?? What evidence should I show?

Thanks!
This is a very helpful and informative place and everyone helps each other like that.

Your attitude might not get you far,

I think from what i have read Jim answered you perfectly.

good luck and curb yr att...
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:08 am
Just Joined

Ok thanks for clearing that up we were under the impression that there was some sort of income threshold for sponsorship
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:11 am
Just Joined

fishydish is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think Jim's response was the issue, though it certainly did not answer her questions (questions being things with question marks after them, in my understanding).

The defensive post from the husband looks to me like it was elicited by the arrogant, smarmy tone of the post made by Judy informing the guy's wife that she was stupid and rude. I don't see any thing terribly stupid OR rude in either of the posts made by bimchick. Judy was out of line.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Now now children!!... Play nice

If you are sponsoring your spouse ONLY (i.e. no dependants) then there is no financial requirement. (it's in the supplied documentation somewhere!)

My OH sponsored me while unemployed in NZ.

Now if you wish to declare your trust as income then I dont see why not.... do you have a statement or an agreement detailing the amount and frequency etc??
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:55 am
Just Joined

I don't think there is a statement as such but I was thinking the tax return should be sufficient documentation. A statement could probably be produced but I thought perhaps the tax return would be more acceptable to immigration Canada?
Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:00 am
Just Joined

Bflava -
Jims initial post did not address the question at all, but he has subsequently answered the question

There was no attitude until Judy posted in the manner she chose to post in.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:01 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishydish
I don't think Jim's response was the issue, though it certainly did not answer her questions (questions being things with question marks after them, in my understanding).

The defensive post from the husband looks to me like it was elicited by the arrogant, smarmy tone of the post made by Judy informing the guy's wife that she was stupid and rude. I don't see any thing terribly stupid OR rude in either of the posts made by bimchick. Judy was out of line.
The original posters questions were indeed relevant. I said what I said because I was in a huff and answered in haste.

I was annoyed that the original poster hadn't thanked Jim for attempting to answer her question, even if he did so imperfectly, and for being so abrupt towards him.

The people who provide responses on this forum are unpaid volunteers. They aren't servants. Not that I believe servants should be treated impolitely, mind you.

In my opinion, you will be qualified to comment on my comments when you've spent a couple of weeks answering questions on this forum.

As someone with one post under his/her belt, you haven't walked in the mocassins of someone who answers questions on this forum, so in my opinion you are not yet qualified. Once people dig in and start answering questions, in my experience they stop criticizing the people who do answer questions.

The services on this forum nominally are free. In my opinion, an attitude of appreciation is the least one can demonstrate by way of repayment.

Besides that, it's very fishy to me that you, as a new poster weighed in on this discussion. If you really are a newbie, how come you don't look like a deer caught in the headlights, like other newbies? In my opinion, it's entirely possible that you're an experienced poster using another alias. Not necessarily. But, as I said, it looks fishy to me.
x
Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:04 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishydish

The clarification lies with the fact that the original questioner and her husband come across as having a god given right to an answer. No-one on this forum does.

If a question is posed and you are fortunate enough to get a response from someone that can help, you are lucky - not entitled - so to reply to Jims first answer in the curt way that it came across will only illicit the same.

So Judys observations about attitude (can't remember her making a comment about the wifes intelligence levels so the stupid one is a pointless thing to say) were correct.

Show a bit of respect to those that can help you eh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.