Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spouse sponsorship - how can we emigrate together?

Spouse sponsorship - how can we emigrate together?

Old Jan 1st 2008, 3:27 am
Just Joined

kevandhil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse sponsorship - how can we emigrate together?

Hi all,

This is my first post to this forum. My Canadian wife is planning to sponsor me to emigrate to Ottawa later on this year. We're both living in the UK at the moment. I'm guessing that our situation is far from unique on this forum, but I would appreciate some advice concerning one difficult condition of the application process.

If I am interpreting correctly, the CIC guidelines state that while I can not make any move towards going to Canada until I receive notification of acceptance of my application, my wife must prove that she will be in Canada at the time that I become a permanent resident in Canada by showing 'reasonable plans for re-establishing in Canada or severing ties to the other country'.

The guide suggests a letter from an employer or proof of having bought or rented a property in Canada. Neither of these seem particularly practical given the duration of the application process and the subsequent time it will take us to get our affairs in order.

Can anyone give us any advice on what kind of information will constitute sufficient evidence for CIC without us needing to find someone who will rent us a property or offer my wife a job such a long time in advance?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Dr.T is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spouse sponsorship - how can we emigrate together?

Hi, Yeah, we had a similar situation (we didn't want to buy/rent a place until we knew that my Partner was assured PR status). In our case we wanted to do some 'research' on where we wanted to live and so spent 3 weeks in BC -Lower Mainland and the Okanagan looking at properties with various real estate agents and potentially buying a lot and building (our preferred option). In this process we had a number of emails back and forth from the Agents/developers and we submitted them to CIC as proof of our intentions. As even Family sponsorship takes a number of months to come though using your 'downtime to go over and narrow down where you'd like to live and the costs of purchasing or renting something you'd like. Just a thought, but indoing so not only are you learning something but you're building 'evidence' to support your application and intentions.

Best of Luck,

Dr.T
Old Jan 1st 2008, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to British Expats

Don't forget that you can use evidence of winding down your life in Britain too - have you had your house valued by an estate agent? You could always do that and submit the valuation letter as evidence of your wife's intent to sell up and return to Canada. Or drafting resignation letters for work, things like that...

Last edited by Biiiiink; Jan 1st 2008 at 4:01 am.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 4:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevandhil
Hi all,

This is my first post to this forum. My Canadian wife is planning to sponsor me to emigrate to Ottawa later on this year. We're both living in the UK at the moment. I'm guessing that our situation is far from unique on this forum, but I would appreciate some advice concerning one difficult condition of the application process.

If I am interpreting correctly, the CIC guidelines state that while I can not make any move towards going to Canada until I receive notification of acceptance of my application, my wife must prove that she will be in Canada at the time that I become a permanent resident in Canada by showing 'reasonable plans for re-establishing in Canada or severing ties to the other country'.

The guide suggests a letter from an employer or proof of having bought or rented a property in Canada. Neither of these seem particularly practical given the duration of the application process and the subsequent time it will take us to get our affairs in order.

Can anyone give us any advice on what kind of information will constitute sufficient evidence for CIC without us needing to find someone who will rent us a property or offer my wife a job such a long time in advance?

Thanks for your help.
Canadian citizen spouse doesn't need to move to Canada first. Spouse needs to show intention to move. Big difference.

Has your Canadian wife got her British citizenship and if not, does she plan to apply for naturalisation before she leaves?
Old Jan 1st 2008, 4:40 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the very helpful responses.

Dr. T, I'm glad you're research counted as evidence. Although we're not really in a position to travel to Canada at the moment, my wife could register with job and real estate agencies over the internet I guess and start getting some correspondence together.

Biiink, I thought about the winding up side but was worried that that may be treated as signs that I'm pre-judging the decision as well, which they tell you not to do. We will be making preliminary steps such as house valuation anyway, so if we can add that kind of information as well, so much the better.

JAJ, thanks for your clarification. I was worried about potentially having to separate from my wife for a while! As for your question, my wife is a resident, and is not planning to apply for citizenship before she returns. I'm interested in the reason for your question. Would it make a difference to our application?

In general, I guess I'm just surprised that they will accept this kind of correspondence with agencies/realtors as sufficient evidence, as it occurred to me that the kind of people that they are presumably trying to put off with these kind of rules could fairly easily get this kind of information without committing to moving either. But if that's all they need, so much the better!

As an afterthought, what would be the worst case if they didn't think our evidence was sufficient? Would our application be totally rejected? If so, could we resubmit from the beginning straight away? Or would we get the chance to submit more evidence without our application being thrown out straight away?

Thanks again for all your advice.

Kevin
Old Jan 1st 2008, 5:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

JAJ, thanks for your clarification. I was worried about potentially having to separate from my wife for a while! As for your question, my wife is a resident, and is not planning to apply for citizenship before she returns. I'm interested in the reason for your question. Would it make a difference to our application?
It won't make any difference to your application to go to Canada, but have you considered that once she leaves the U.K. she does lose her resident status after a short period of time. If you don't believe this go to http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk and look at the information for returning residents.

Why would she not want to keep open the option of easily returning to live in the U.K. later on if your circumstances/plans change?

Also a British passport is easier to enter certain countries with, eg Brazil.

Last edited by JAJ; Jan 1st 2008 at 5:36 am.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

SarahandDavid has a brilliant futureSarahandDavid has a brilliant futureSarahandDavid has a brilliant futureSarahandDavid has a brilliant futureSarahandDavid has a brilliant futureSarahandDavid has a brilliant futureSarahandDavid has a brilliant futureSarahandDavid has a brilliant future

Hi all,

Thanks for your help.

Hi Kevandhil,

We're in a similar position to you. Husband Canadian by birth, spousal application submitted to Mississauga Oct 07.
Evidence we supplied included the following: a letter explaining our plans to move to Canada and that husband would be retiring from Police force in summer 08, pension forcast showing we would have funds to live on in Canada, details of joint bank account we opened in Canada last summer, and name and contact details of a relative in Canada who is prepared to give us temporary accommodation on arrival should we need it. I think we also mentioned in the letter that we had met with realtors whilst in Canada last summer but we didn't have any proof of that.
We also gave details of 'Certificates of Canadian Citizenship' for our two teenagers and details of Canadian passports held by husband and children that were all applied for recently in preparation for the move.
The first 'sponsor eligibility' part of the application was approved by CIC Mississauga on 21st Nov 07 and the London Visa Office began processing the application for permanent residency on 5th Dec 07.
I don't know if this is enough proof of intention to return to Canada, but it's all we had at the time. I'll post if we hear anything.

Sarah
Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much for the detailed response. I'm starting to get a better idea of the kinds of things we need to do now. I'm hoping that we can get some correspondence going with realtors, job agencies, and try to get some evidence of our intentions as far as selling up in the UK goes. I think we'll do something similar in terms of writing a letter detailing our intentions, backstory etc. Can't do any harm. I'm sure we can get a letter from my wife's mother inviting us to stay with her until our accommodation's sorted when we first get over there as well.

I hope all goes smoothly for you with the permanent residency. Sounds like you're well on the way!

Thanks again,

Kevin
Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
It won't make any difference to your application to go to Canada, but have you considered that once she leaves the U.K. she does lose her resident status after a short period of time. If you don't believe this go to http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk and look at the information for returning residents.

Why would she not want to keep open the option of easily returning to live in the U.K. later on if your circumstances/plans change?

Also a British passport is easier to enter certain countries with, eg Brazil.
Hi JAJ,

Although we're not intending to move back at any time, things can of course change unexpectedly. We are now giving some consideration to the idea of getting citizenship for Hilary before moving. Thank you for the clarification.

Kevin
Old Jan 1st 2008, 10:02 am
JAJ
Retired

Hi JAJ,

Although we're not intending to move back at any time, things can of course change unexpectedly. We are now giving some consideration to the idea of getting citizenship for Hilary before moving. Thank you for the clarification.

Kevin
One thing you should be aware of is that a spouse (or civil partner) of a British citizen does not need to have any intention to remain in the U.K. after naturalisation (although you do normally have to be in the U.K. to be naturalised).

So there is no conflict between this and planning to move back to Canada.

Start at this page. The process does not usually take more than 4-6 months:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/bri...ship/applying/

Nationality Checking Service is recommended:
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/bri...ice/?version=1

Don't forget the Life in the UK Test.