Spouse sponsorship

Old Jul 9th 2005, 10:49 am
Just Joined

karenwalsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse sponsorship

Hi everyone,

Would love some advice on the topic of immigration. Basically I'm from the UK and have a temporary working visa for Canada which expires next Feb. I currently live here with my Canadian boyfriend and we are planning to get married next summer. I'm about to start the process of applying for him to sponsor me but the whole topic is a little confusing.

Any help will be great, as with a temporary visa I'm finding getting a proper job a little hard as all employers tend to see my social insurance number and think I'm not legally entitled to work here.

Thanks

Karen
Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:29 am
Remya

Default Re: Spouse sponsorship

Been there, done that... it's quite tough and depends on a few things. If you're planning on staying in Canada throughout the process you'll probably be taking the inland application route for spousal/common-law sponsorship, assuming you've living been with your boyfriend for more than a year. Are you on a (BUNAC-style) working holiday visa or a different temporary visa? For the former, you can't renew it, so you'd have to apply to extend your status as a visitor about 6 weeks before your work permit expires. You'll have to wait without working from the time the work visa expires to the time you get AIP (approval in principal) which apparently takes 5-6 months, assuming you're not in Quebec (you're not, are you?).

Not sure what happens if you're on a different temporary work permit. Maybe you can renew it, maybe not. You can also apply from outside Canada, by the way, but I can't help you with that (jorja can, however, if she's around).

As for your SIN... All you can do at interviews is be honest and point out that you can only work for a year. I would be very surprised if employers think you're not entitled to work - after all, you DO have a SIN, it's just that it begins with a 9 and thus shows it's temporary and has an expiration date. It might be a case of seeing you're not a permanent resident or citizen and therefore assuming you don't have any Canadian experience, something that is pretty crucial in most employers' eyes.

In any case, good luck! It's quite a long process, and speaking as someone who started it in January and who still isn't there yet, it's hard, but worth it!

Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:54 am
Just Joined

karenwalsh is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Remya, I'm not in Quebec no I'm in Toronto. I'm on the BUNAC visa and I've still got over 6 months left which is why I'm trying to sort this out now before I'm in a situation I can't work at all.

I am working at the minute but initially found it hard and even now still not earning much. Still on the plus I love it here and enjoy the lifestyle!! I've got all the forms to apply within Canada it just seems sooo confusing, I also have an uncle that lives here which would be happy to sponsor me, I just keep hearing so many stories about what way is best.

Originally Posted by Remya
Been there, done that... it's quite tough and depends on a few things. If you're planning on staying in Canada throughout the process you'll probably be taking the inland application route for spousal/common-law sponsorship, assuming you've living been with your boyfriend for more than a year. Are you on a (BUNAC-style) working holiday visa or a different temporary visa? For the former, you can't renew it, so you'd have to apply to extend your status as a visitor about 6 weeks before your work permit expires. You'll have to wait without working from the time the work visa expires to the time you get AIP (approval in principal) which apparently takes 5-6 months, assuming you're not in Quebec (you're not, are you?).

Not sure what happens if you're on a different temporary work permit. Maybe you can renew it, maybe not. You can also apply from outside Canada, by the way, but I can't help you with that (jorja can, however, if she's around).

As for your SIN... All you can do at interviews is be honest and point out that you can only work for a year. I would be very surprised if employers think you're not entitled to work - after all, you DO have a SIN, it's just that it begins with a 9 and thus shows it's temporary and has an expiration date. It might be a case of seeing you're not a permanent resident or citizen and therefore assuming you don't have any Canadian experience, something that is pretty crucial in most employers' eyes.

In any case, good luck! It's quite a long process, and speaking as someone who started it in January and who still isn't there yet, it's hard, but worth it!
Old Jul 9th 2005, 12:03 pm
Remya

If you've been living together a year already, apply now. If not, you'll have to wait until it has been a year. It really isn't that confusing (you don't even have the hassle of Quebec selection!). Just follow the guidelines on the CIC website , download all the inland forms and do what they say. Make sure you've got tons of evidence that you've been living together - it would help if you could prove you're intending to get married next year (good luck!). As long as you've filled in all the forms and signed them all, it's fairly self-explanatory. Get the medical done before you send everything off... but that's also explained somewhere in the notes.

Alas, BUNAC visas don't really equal earning a lot. I did manage to make enough to pay for permanent residence and all the time I can't work (currently 6 months and counting) but our apartment is pretty cheap and luckily, all the bills are included in the rent. Come on over to Montreal and take a look at la belle province!

By the way, not sure if an uncle can sponsor you. The best way - quickest and least troublesome - would probably be the spousal sponsorship, depending on your situation. And you're right, the lifestyle here IS great.

Old Jul 9th 2005, 12:04 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by karenwalsh
Thanks Remya, I'm not in Quebec no I'm in Toronto. I'm on the BUNAC visa and I've still got over 6 months left which is why I'm trying to sort this out now before I'm in a situation I can't work at all.

I am working at the minute but initially found it hard and even now still not earning much. Still on the plus I love it here and enjoy the lifestyle!! I've got all the forms to apply within Canada it just seems sooo confusing, I also have an uncle that lives here which would be happy to sponsor me, I just keep hearing so many stories about what way is best.
1. To start with he cannot start the sponsorship (boyfriend) until you have lived together 1 year (common/law) or you are married.
2. Your uncle cannot sponsor you.
3. Start your reading at www.cic.gc.ca

PMM
Old Nov 1st 2005, 3:37 pm
Banned

joeboy_UK is an unknown quantity at this point

In response to:

"Alas, BUNAC visas don't really equal earning a lot"

I'm here on a BUNAC visa and my Salary is $54,000, that sure seems a lot to me.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

thermophile is an unknown quantity at this point

We were in a simular situation, except he (CC) would would a few months a year in the US. you may want to consider getting married now so you can get the process going. we were married by a judge with just my sister there to witness, then had a big ceremony/party 7 months later with fam and friends. We were doing the immigration roulet with both US and Canada, whoever got their visa first would move. So had no choice the US only allows sponorship of spouses.