Spouse sponsor

Old Jun 25th 2020, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

DarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spouse sponsor

Hi all, (on behalf of someone else)

Best route to take for this. I've known and dated my drearier half since 07 on and off. Back together since Oct last year but we've always lived 5 mins walk from each other the past 7 yrs. So, we've no bills together as he's kept his Council property he was left in after his mum died in his teens.

I'm a Canadian citizen and wish to join my sister in Canada and niece/nephews. What to do? He's virtually no social media, he's a miserable as sin so getting photos is tough. He's come around to the idea of moving as his work have offices where we are going but not in the same area of work as he does.

Suggestions? I can move in with him but I plan to go this year.

Thank you all.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 8:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse sponsor

Originally Posted by DarwinCharles
Hi all, (on behalf of someone else)

Best route to take for this. I've known and dated my drearier half since 07 on and off. Back together since Oct last year but we've always lived 5 mins walk from each other the past 7 yrs. So, we've no bills together as he's kept his Council property he was left in after his mum died in his teens.

I'm a Canadian citizen and wish to join my sister in Canada and niece/nephews. What to do? He's virtually no social media, he's a miserable as sin so getting photos is tough. He's come around to the idea of moving as his work have offices where we are going but not in the same area of work as he does.

Suggestions? I can move in with him but I plan to go this year.

Thank you all.
I'll get my hat.

Marriage is the only option if the person in question doesn't qualify as his common-law spouse. So they'll need to get married, then apply.

Please do ask the person in question to sign up to BE themselves so we can answer any questions they have about the process etc.

HTH.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

DarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'll get my hat.

Marriage is the only option if the person in question doesn't qualify as his common-law spouse. So they'll need to get married, then apply.

Please do ask the person in question to sign up to BE themselves so we can answer any questions they have about the process etc.

HTH.
Oh I did..
Horse to water. Thank you, I shall pass the info along!

Cheers
Old Jun 25th 2020, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a long term 'boyfriend / girlfriend' relationship. CIC are very clear as to what they define as 'common law' and lay out the criteria and evidence required very clearly. They do not deviate from or apply 'common sense' either to the definition or evidence they are looking for.

As such, your friends either need to move in together and immediately set up the required evidence to prove this (combined bills at same address, change of drivers licences etc.) then live together for at least one year before they can apply, OR they get married and can apply soon afterwards.

Bearing in mind that it will take likely one year to get approved from the date they apply (maybe more due to additional backlogs from Covid 19 - too soon to know.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Sounds like a long term 'boyfriend / girlfriend' relationship. CIC are very clear as to what they define as 'common law' and lay out the criteria and evidence required very clearly. They do not deviate from or apply 'common sense' either to the definition or evidence they are looking for.

As such, your friends either need to move in together and immediately set up the required evidence to prove this (combined bills at same address, change of drivers licences etc.) then live together for at least one year before they can apply, OR they get married and can apply soon afterwards.

Bearing in mind that it will take likely one year to get approved from the date they apply (maybe more due to additional backlogs from Covid 19 - too soon to know.

Yes, I had some knowledge as my own Sister is married and has taken her husband so I relayed some knowledge but the info on the IRCC site is a lot to wade through. I believe my sister applied this year and left 2wks ago.

Thanks for the input folks. Just trying to help an acquaintance so appreciate the responses.