Spouse PR Waiting Game

Old Jul 24th 2009, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

bubblescope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse PR Waiting Game

Hello BE,
I left my life in New York (working on H1B) to join hubby in Toronto. I applied out of NY and I arrived as a visitor in May (as I understand it I'm allowed 6 months legal stay, not sure how to verify how much time I'm allowed). After following what I now know to be bad advice and probably out of frustration and too much free time I've been applying for jobs and telling employers that I have PR.
I was told that things move slowly in Canada and it didn't hurt to 'get the ball rolling' and to cross the 'authorization to work' bridge once I get a job offer.
Well guess what, I have a job offer and still no sign of that PR. I'm now faced with a dilemma of coming clean (hoping they don't despise me for lying) or stalling accepting the offer somehow.

Spousal PR Application was submitted and approved in March. Papers were sent to New York on May 20th. CIC website shows status as 'In Process' , no word since.

I would love to start work straight away and given the current situation, I have a few questions:

1) Buy time with employer or come clean any other ideas?
2) Assuming the fastest process time is 4months should I start counting from March or May?
3) I haven't heard anything about medicals but the doc back in NY told me that they will be sending medicals directly to Immigration...is that correct?
4)In order to obtain a SIN, will a landed immigrant letter (or whatever it is that you get when you 'land') be enough or do I need to wait for an officialPR card?

Thanks!
Old Jul 25th 2009, 5:42 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse PR Waiting Game

Hi

Originally Posted by bubblescope
Hello BE,
I left my life in New York (working on H1B) to join hubby in Toronto. I applied out of NY and I arrived as a visitor in May (as I understand it I'm allowed 6 months legal stay, not sure how to verify how much time I'm allowed). After following what I now know to be bad advice and probably out of frustration and too much free time I've been applying for jobs and telling employers that I have PR.
I was told that things move slowly in Canada and it didn't hurt to 'get the ball rolling' and to cross the 'authorization to work' bridge once I get a job offer.
Well guess what, I have a job offer and still no sign of that PR. I'm now faced with a dilemma of coming clean (hoping they don't despise me for lying) or stalling accepting the offer somehow.

Spousal PR Application was submitted and approved in March. Papers were sent to New York on May 20th. CIC website shows status as 'In Process' , no word since.

I would love to start work straight away and given the current situation, I have a few questions:

1) Buy time with employer or come clean any other ideas?
2) Assuming the fastest process time is 4months should I start counting from March or May?
3) I haven't heard anything about medicals but the doc back in NY told me that they will be sending medicals directly to Immigration...is that correct?
4)In order to obtain a SIN, will a landed immigrant letter (or whatever it is that you get when you 'land') be enough or do I need to wait for an officialPR card?

Thanks!
1. You better buy time, think how are you going to give the employer a valid SIN? Which you need to work.
2. You count from May, and only 80% are processed under 9 months.
3. I assume that you did the medicals before you submitted the application, and included the receipt with the application?
4. For a SIN you need proof of the PR status.
5. I am making one more assumption, that Mississauga send the application to Buffalo and then it was transferred to New York?
Old Jul 25th 2009, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. You better buy time, think how are you going to give the employer a valid SIN? Which you need to work.
2. You count from May, and only 80% are processed under 9 months.
3. I assume that you did the medicals before you submitted the application, and included the receipt with the application?
4. For a SIN you need proof of the PR status.
5. I am making one more assumption, that Mississauga send the application to Buffalo and then it was transferred to New York?
1. I'm already guilt ridden so I'm very tempted to come clean. Any ideas on how to stall?
2. If I count from May there is no way I can stall them for 2 months!
3. Yes that is what I did.
4.I know! I simply cannot get the SIN without PR unless there is someting I''m missing. People have offered the craziest ideas suchas 'get your husband to open a company , get a GST number and give the employer that ( since it's a contract job offer)
5. Yes Buffalo then New York

Can anyone help me please?
Old Jul 25th 2009, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

You can get a permanent SIN by presenting your passport with PR visa and Confirmation of Permanent Residence signed by an Immigration Officer.

You don't need to have a PR card for this but you do need to have PR status in order to get a permanent SIN.

Last edited by kleinluka; Jul 25th 2009 at 6:32 am.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Is there anyway I can get a temporary SIN as a non resident? What do people who come here on business do. What if I was working as a UK consultant in the Canada, working from the UK 'technically'?
Old Jul 25th 2009, 11:08 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by bubblescope
Is there anyway I can get a temporary SIN as a non resident? What do people who come here on business do. What if I was working as a UK consultant in the Canada, working from the UK 'technically'?
Then why would you need a SIN, unless you are being paid in Canada by a Canadian company, then you would need a work permit.