Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spouse / Partnership Visa's...Advice / Info.

Spouse / Partnership Visa's...Advice / Info.

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

snowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant future
Default Spouse / Partnership Visa's...Advice / Info.

Dear Forum

I love Canada, love snowboarding, the wilderness and am in a relationship with a Canadian girl. We met in Fernie, BC, last winter whilst I was out there for 3 weeks training to be a Snowboard Instructor. I went back for another week afterwards and then she got a Working Holiday Visa and came to live with me over here in Blighty for just over a year.

She has just gone back to Canada recently (May 09th 2008) - her passport was nearly up, and her work Visa only allowed her to work in UK for one year.

I would love to go out there to be with her and to be in Canada. It is a great country. Does anyone have any recommendations / suggestions advice for me on the best route to take - BUNAC initially? Spouse / Partnership Visa? Skilled Worker Visa?

What are the requirements for the Spouse Visa application? How long does it take? How much does it cost?

I am qualified to teach snowboarding in Canada, but that is only seasonal and doesn't pay very well. I am qualified to University level (HND) in Countryside / Environmental Management and would love to try and get some environmental work out in Canada, although I doubt my skills and experience are too in demand in Canada (as I understand it there is a list of jobs which are in demand)?

Any ideas on getting jobs in Canada, Visa's would be much appreciated...

Cheers!

Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:10 am
Just Joined

Charliekilo has a spectacular aura aboutCharliekilo has a spectacular aura aboutCharliekilo has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Spouse / Partnership Visa's...Advice / Info.

All the info you need is at www.cic.gc.ca. Good luck!
Old Jun 5th 2008, 1:57 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charliekilo
All the info you need is at www.cic.gc.ca. Good luck!
Actually not all the info he needs is there. I have searched for, and so far have not found, any mention of working holiday (BUNAC) visas on CIC's website, for example.
x
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:33 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowman365
I would love to go out there to be with her and to be in Canada. It is a great country. Does anyone have any recommendations / suggestions advice for me on the best route to take - BUNAC initially? Spouse / Partnership Visa? Skilled Worker Visa?
I'm not an immigration expert, but I'll give this a shot.

You're already aware that you can get a BUNAC visa, which essentially is an open work permit, for 12 months.

I think (but am not sure) that, if you live with your girlfriend for those 12 months, you can turn around and quote those 12 months of cohabitation as proof that you're in a common-law relationship. That, in turn, would enable your girlfriend to sponsor your permanent residence application.

But I think all the BUNAC slots for 2008 may have been used up already. I'm not sure about that. You'd need to check.

What are the requirements for the Spouse Visa application?
I've already mentioned one of the requirements, namely, that you have to have lived together in a committed relationship for a minimum of 12 months.

How long does it take?
During the time in which I've participated in this forum, I've seen outland applications that have taken as little as two months and others (with complications) that have taken over a year. However, if everything is in order, it's reasonable to expect that the whole process would be wrapped up in six months.

Inland applications take twice as long. There is one forum member whose inland application took 18 months. It is a route that I don't recommend if it can be avoided.

To see what I mean by inland and outland applications, see the Wiki article called Spousal Sponsorship.

How much does it cost?
C$525, being made up of C$75 from the sponsor (your girlfriend) and $475 from the principal applicant (you).

If you had not managed to obtain a temporary work permit on which you could continue to work in Canada once your BUNAC visa had expired, you could apply to extend your stay in Canada as a visitor. The problem with that is that you would not be allowed to work while you were a visitor, before you received your permanent residence visa.

I am qualified to University level (HND) in Countryside / Environmental Management and would love to try and get some environmental work out in Canada, although I doubt my skills and experience are too in demand in Canada (as I understand it there is a list of jobs which are in demand)?
The lists of jobs in demand are called lists of Occupations under Pressure.

Eco Canada is a good website on which to view job openings in the environmental sector.

I urge you to search the Canadian Company Capabilitie website, as is explained in the Real Life Examples section of the Wiki article called Finding Job Opportunities.

To understand how job hunting in Canada works, read Quick Job Hunting Instructions.

Really, you should read Citizenship and Immigration's website, as Charliekilo recommended, all the articles that seem relevant in the Canadian Immigration section of the BE Wiki, and all the articles, whether they seem relevant or not, in the Job Hunting section of the Wiki.

Hope that helps.
x
Old Jun 5th 2008, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

snowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant future

Thank you very much for your replies, and sorry have not replied sooner!

Thanks for all the information - I have lots to be getting on with now! But, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!!!

Cheers!