Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spouse Canadian - Moving before any application??

Spouse Canadian - Moving before any application??

Old Jan 7th 2010, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light
Default Spouse Canadian - Moving before any application??

Hi Guys

I have looked through the Wiki on here which are fab and I dont think I can see an answer to this (apologies if its there!)......except that Immigration can refuse at any time!!!

My Canadian husband has been offered an earlier than expected job back in Canada and is heading out in a couple of weeks to get started. As this was quite a few months earlier than planned for us to head over for our 'new life', I am kinda stuck in a new place (mentally) and am worried about possible outcomes....

Anyway....Myself and our 3 children will stay on here in the UK for a while to ensure hubby's job works out ok and he sets up a place to stay etc. Originally, we were looking to go down the correct route of getting kids Canadian passports then hubby sponsoring me here in UK before crossing the pond. But as this has come up we are now looking at following him in the Summer all (me and kids) on our GB passports with return tickets, kids getting their passports sorted out there and hubby starting the whole sponsorship thing when I get there......

Is this a pipedream or could this be possible? I know I can get turned away at the door but what is the likelihood of being allowed in either by not mentioning that I plan to be sponsored whilst there or by being honest? I hate to lie - especially to Immigration but is this going to be how I will get in without hassle? I am not good at this sort of thing!

I have seen mentioned about the sponsorship either in or out of Canada but trying to get my head around it is bursting it!!! They seem to be saying that you can sponsor while in Canada....but is this when you are already living there with appropriate visas etc......

Speaking of Visas.....Should I apply for some sort of temp visa / extension to 6 months holiday entry in advance?

God there is so much to get around!!!!!

Any help would be appreciated as I am often on here hoping someone will just ask the questions that I have!

(sorry, just realised I have practically written a novel...!!)

Thanks in Advance
Old Jan 7th 2010, 6:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse Canadian - Moving before any application??

Any reason why you can't carry on with your original plan so that you have your PR before you move to Canada in the summer? Seems like the obvious solution to me, then you wouldn't have to worry at all!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Any reason why you can't carry on with your original plan so that you have your PR before you move to Canada in the summer? Seems like the obvious solution to me, then you wouldn't have to worry at all!
Wouldnt he have to be here to go through the applications / sign them etc. Also incase we need to go to London for a meeting? He is heading out there to stay now until we head over....That was the main reason the plans were changed due to the job.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 7:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canuck2b
Wouldnt he have to be here to go through the applications / sign them etc. Also incase we need to go to London for a meeting? He is heading out there to stay now until we head over....That was the main reason the plans were changed due to the job.
No, he doesn't have to be in the UK, he can apply from anywhere. And you don't have to be in the same country when he applies.

And yes, if you do an outland application then he could be called to an interview in London, but presumably you'd apply outland once you're in Canada so I don't see what the difference is?

This Wiki article may help if you haven't read it already..........http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada
Old Jan 7th 2010, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

james_smith99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Canuck2b
if its any help we applied recently, my canadian wife sponsoring me. it all went through far quicker than i anticipated with no extra information\interviews etc required. from sending the forms off to being asked for my passport was no more than 8-10 weeks.

i think if you've got kids thats all the proof they want that your marriage is genuine. its basically what i wrote in the boxes on the forms and it all went smoothly for us
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Guys. I am now convinced I need to get my finger out and apply here!! I just didnt want to have to fly back and forth if we applied and it took so long that I was in the country before anything was sorted!!

I shall get the form out tonight!

Thanks again x
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

I just had a quick look at the link provided (thank you)....Thought I would let you know that 2 of the links (IP8, OP24 - More Information) at the bottom of the page dont wor now as the pages have moved.

Cheers