Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal Visa - Sponsorship Questions!

Spousal Visa - Sponsorship Questions!

Old Jan 21st 2012, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

canuckabroad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal Visa - Sponsorship Questions!

Hi Everyone!

I am presently in the process of applying for a spousal visa for my husband from across the pond (we both live in the UK, me on a visa and hubby is a citizen), and have a couple of questions for any of you who have applied already!

1. Does my husband need to act as a co-signer, or should I be leaving out that section of the application?

2. What documents did you send in to support your intent to re-establish in Canada?

3. Did you have your photocopies notorized?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jan 21st 2012, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal Visa - Sponsorship Questions!

1. You don't have a co-signer if you (the Canadian citizen) is sponsoring your husband (the Brit). Your husband is 'the applicant' not the co-signer. You are the sponsor.

2. Someone else will be able to answer this, not applicable to me.

3. No, I got nothing notarised at all. If you read everything carefully it does say that the declarations you need from individuals testifying to the the genuine nature of your relationship (you need minimum 2) are not required to be notarised. Some people have chosen to do so, but it is not a requirement, so I did not bother.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 10:07 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

With regard to question 2 - we just wrote a covering letter, explaining that 'if' my sponsorship was approved, we planned to move back to Canada with our son, and that was fine.

We didn't have our documents notarized either.

Best of luck!
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 11:56 am
Blonde, but not really.

Joolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

We were in the same boat too, my OH was the citizen trying to prove his intent to re-establish in Canada. We sent:

- a letter we wrote with his intention to re-establish and start work etc
- 2 letters (one from his parents and one from his best friend) stating that they were aware he was intending to return and they would help him to re-establish
- he also still had a bank account and some investments so we showed proof of them too to show he never really cut ties to Canada

We were a little stumped when they asked for proof of a job and accommodation...a little tricky to prove when you're in the UK! The above may seem excessive, but we didn't want to leave anything to chance!
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for your responses, everyone! They're a HUGE help, and are taking the edge off of the scramble for information from somewhat cryptic government sites.

One more question, though I'm not sure if any of you will be able to answer this one (I've read bits on this forum already, but can't seem to find a solid yes or no!). I'm currently pregnant and expecting our first baby in May; as I am a Canadian citizen, our boy will be getting his Canadian passport as soon as possible - I'm not keen on raising a child anywhere but back home!

Anyhow, my question is that as the baby isn't born yet, should we declare my pregnancy anywhere? Perhaps in my letter of intent to re-establish? Will this fact slow down the process at all do you think?

Thanks again, guys - boards like this are the only way to maintain your sanity through ANY visa process (and this is only my second!)
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

When are you expected to arrive in Canada? As you are a Canadian citizen it really doesnt matter for Immigration or Customs purposes where the baby is born as chances are the baby would get Canadian citizenship anyway.
This link should explain it
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/index.asp
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Hi Former Lancastrian! We're hoping to leave as soon as we receive approval (outland application, of course), so the baby will be four months old on arrival should approval come before the end of the summer (fingers are crossed!)