Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

spousal visa processing times-please answer urgently

spousal visa processing times-please answer urgently

Old Dec 27th 2008, 12:42 am
Just Joined

jimdon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default spousal visa processing times-please answer urgently

We have recently married. I am a Canadian who has been living in the UK for seven years. My husband is a British citizen and we married very recently in the UK and are putting together our spousal visa application. My question is this: we are moving back to Vancouver next month and I think I'll be able to find a job quickly but my husband has to wait for the visa to go through in order to work. We are sending our application this end (from the UK) to the office in Mississauga but we understand that applying whilst living in the UK is quicker than applying from Canada. Should we use a mailing address in the UK and say that we are still living here (although we'll be living in Vancouver) or should we give them our change of address after we've moved? I'm just wondering if it will take alot longer if immigration are aware that we are now living in Canada? Thanks!
Old Dec 27th 2008, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

DATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really nice
Default Re: spousal visa processing times-please answer urgently

The only problem with living in BC is that the medical and interview will be held in the UK..
Old Dec 27th 2008, 2:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimdon
We are sending our application this end (from the UK) to the office in Mississauga but we understand that applying whilst living in the UK is quicker than applying from Canada. Should we use a mailing address in the UK and say that we are still living here (although we'll be living in Vancouver) or should we give them our change of address after we've moved? I'm just wondering if it will take alot longer if immigration are aware that we are now living in Canada? Thanks!
It won't take any longer if they are aware you are in Canada (and whatever you do, don't lie about it anyway) - you can still submit an outland application even if you are living in Canada. The advantage is that it's much quicker but the disadvantage is that, as Dath said, your husband may have to fly back to London - but it is only a 'may' as not not everybody is called for interview and the medical can be done in Canada.

Have a read of this for more info...........http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada

Good luck.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 5:35 am
Just Joined

jimdon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It won't take any longer if they are aware you are in Canada (and whatever you do, don't lie about it anyway) - you can still submit an outland application even if you are living in Canada. The advantage is that it's much quicker but the disadvantage is that, as Dath said, your husband may have to fly back to London - but it is only a 'may' as not not everybody is called for interview and the medical can be done in Canada.

Have a read of this for more info...........http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada

Good luck.
Thankyou for the advice. The whole process can be such a mindfield and it's great to get information outside of the official immigration website. Once again, thanks.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

DATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really nice

Originally Posted by jimdon
Thankyou for the advice. The whole process can be such a mindfield and it's great to get information outside of the official immigration website. Once again, thanks.
Tell me about it. We thought we would never get the forms done. They were sent off to Canada three weeks ago with a cheque for $1040 (how much does it cost to get into the UK..?)..anyway we just have to wait and see what happens. Good luck with yours.