Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

spousal visa processing times-please answer urgently

spousal visa processing times-please answer urgently

Old Dec 27th 2008, 12:42 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 3
jimdon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default spousal visa processing times-please answer urgently

We have recently married. I am a Canadian who has been living in the UK for seven years. My husband is a British citizen and we married very recently in the UK and are putting together our spousal visa application. My question is this: we are moving back to Vancouver next month and I think I'll be able to find a job quickly but my husband has to wait for the visa to go through in order to work. We are sending our application this end (from the UK) to the office in Mississauga but we understand that applying whilst living in the UK is quicker than applying from Canada. Should we use a mailing address in the UK and say that we are still living here (although we'll be living in Vancouver) or should we give them our change of address after we've moved? I'm just wondering if it will take alot longer if immigration are aware that we are now living in Canada? Thanks!
jimdon is offline  
Old Dec 27th 2008, 2:25 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
DATHI2003's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Dundas/Hamilton/Ontario/Canada
Posts: 97
DATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really nice
Default Re: spousal visa processing times-please answer urgently

The only problem with living in BC is that the medical and interview will be held in the UK..
DATHI2003 is offline  
Old Dec 27th 2008, 2:46 am
  #3  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,190
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spousal visa processing times-please answer urgently

Originally Posted by jimdon
We are sending our application this end (from the UK) to the office in Mississauga but we understand that applying whilst living in the UK is quicker than applying from Canada. Should we use a mailing address in the UK and say that we are still living here (although we'll be living in Vancouver) or should we give them our change of address after we've moved? I'm just wondering if it will take alot longer if immigration are aware that we are now living in Canada? Thanks!
It won't take any longer if they are aware you are in Canada (and whatever you do, don't lie about it anyway) - you can still submit an outland application even if you are living in Canada. The advantage is that it's much quicker but the disadvantage is that, as Dath said, your husband may have to fly back to London - but it is only a 'may' as not not everybody is called for interview and the medical can be done in Canada.

Have a read of this for more info...........http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada

Good luck.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Dec 27th 2008, 5:35 am
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 3
jimdon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: spousal visa processing times-please answer urgently

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It won't take any longer if they are aware you are in Canada (and whatever you do, don't lie about it anyway) - you can still submit an outland application even if you are living in Canada. The advantage is that it's much quicker but the disadvantage is that, as Dath said, your husband may have to fly back to London - but it is only a 'may' as not not everybody is called for interview and the medical can be done in Canada.

Have a read of this for more info...........http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada

Good luck.
Thankyou for the advice. The whole process can be such a mindfield and it's great to get information outside of the official immigration website. Once again, thanks.
jimdon is offline  
Old Dec 27th 2008, 10:00 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
DATHI2003's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Dundas/Hamilton/Ontario/Canada
Posts: 97
DATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really nice
Default Re: spousal visa processing times-please answer urgently

Originally Posted by jimdon
Thankyou for the advice. The whole process can be such a mindfield and it's great to get information outside of the official immigration website. Once again, thanks.
Tell me about it. We thought we would never get the forms done. They were sent off to Canada three weeks ago with a cheque for $1040 (how much does it cost to get into the UK..?)..anyway we just have to wait and see what happens. Good luck with yours.
DATHI2003 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.